Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 06:19 PM

7 posts, read 14,532 times

Advertisements

Hi there everyone!

My name is Lissette, my husband and I have been thinking of moving to Idaho for some time now, we just arent sure of where?
We are looking for LONG SNOWY WINTERS, meaning ones that last from like September to like March.

We both would like to live in a small town with lots of trees, wildlife and SNOW!
We would also be looking for work there, my husband is a mechanic and knows how to fix computers, I would probably be dog grooming from home.

do you guys know of a place that would be a good fit for us?

We both are very shy and dont like busy places. we want some place nice and cozy. friendly people.

We also would like to find a home for "rent to own" or just rent in the meantime.

Another thing is, i dont do so well in really high elevation, was thinking somewhere below 3,000ft.

Any and all help would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 08:11 PM

382 posts, read 1,032,634 times
I would look into Alaska.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:13 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,882,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSnowyWinters View Post
Hi there everyone!

My name is Lissette, my husband and I have been thinking of moving to Idaho for some time now, we just arent sure of where?
We are looking for LONG SNOWY WINTERS, meaning ones that last from like September to like March.

We both would like to live in a small town with lots of trees, wildlife and SNOW!
We would also be looking for work there, my husband is a mechanic and knows how to fix computers, I would probably be dog grooming from home.

do you guys know of a place that would be a good fit for us?

We both are very shy and dont like busy places. we want some place nice and cozy. friendly people.

We also would like to find a home for "rent to own" or just rent in the meantime.

Another thing is, i dont do so well in really high elevation, was thinking somewhere below 3,000ft.

Any and all help would be appreciated!

Valdez, Alaska fits the bill to a "T". (seriously) It is a small town, at sea-level, has LONG winters, and gets tons and tons and tons of snow. We get snow where we live also, but not nearly as much as Valdez. Alaska gets long winters due to being so far north...winters begin here starting about October, and don't end until the end of April.

Bud
Seward, Ak

Old 12-21-2010, 09:16 PM

Thank you so much for the swift replies.

I would love Alaska, I just can ride on airplanes. I get really sick.

I have heard a lot about Idaho. Would love to know if people know of any places there that would be a good fit.

thanks!

Old 12-21-2010, 11:05 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,835,426 times
I'd second that. Nowhere in Idaho is going to fill that description. In a VERY cold long winter only our higher mountains will get snowy in early October.

Old 12-21-2010, 11:17 PM

39,861 posts, read 26,482,831 times
If you can compromise with November to March, NID would do for you. If you like lots of snow and not real high elevations, take a look at Mullan, I think it's under 3k.

Old 12-22-2010, 01:27 AM

Thank you so much!

I just really have fallen in Love with Northern Idaho, we just arent sure where in Northern Idaho. We love the bald eagles, the deer, moose, and of course all the trees.

I will look into Mullan. thank you very much on the suggestion.

We are just looking to get away from all the people in Ca.

Like I mentioned, my husband and I are very much shy people and love living in the mountains within reason to the elevation issues. We really would love snow, even if it just lasted from December to like March, as long as there is enough to cover the ground a few feet at times. I just dont want to live somewhere where it snows like 2 weeks during winter and thats it. I will definetly compromise.

If anyone has more suggestions, please do so.

We would love to know more!

Thanks!

Old 12-22-2010, 10:17 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,882,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSnowyWinters View Post
Thank you so much for the swift replies.

I would love Alaska, I just can ride on airplanes. I get really sick.

I have heard a lot about Idaho. Would love to know if people know of any places there that would be a good fit.

thanks!

No need to fly: you can drive all the way to Alaska, either on the highway through Canada, or just drive to Bellingham, Wa and get on the ferry to Alaska. (your car and all) Valdez meets every one of your requirements...

Port Information for the Alaska Marine Highway System (AMHS)
<akferry.org>
http://www.valdezalaska.org/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cU34BdQGsUE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFxJUEN9piQ&feature=fvst

Good Luck!
Bud

Last edited by BudinAk; 12-22-2010 at 10:43 AM..

Old 12-22-2010, 11:31 AM

820 posts, read 1,738,864 times
Well there is plenty of area's near the border of Canada that will be very close. Bonner county would probably work really well.

Old 12-22-2010, 01:23 PM

Thank you so much, thats exactly what we are looking for. Do you know any specific towns? I hear Sandpoint has beautiful weather. Not exactly sure how big the town is. I hope there are some areas that are a bit more secluded away from the main "town" but not over 30-40 minutes drive into town where grocery stores, schools, etc would be. I guess what im saying is, we dont like the whole apartment thing where our neighbors would be like 2 ft away, we would like more privacy.

I appreciate sooo much all of your help!

any more ideas would still be very much big help to us.

Also, what are the jobs like out there? I am a dog groomer and have been doing it for over 5 years and my husband is a light duty diesel mechanic, fixing tractors and the like, also very good with fixing computers. Do you think it would be dificult to find jobs?

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho