Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 03:42 PM

993 posts, read 3,252,843 times

Advertisements

How come nobody ever has anything to say about Grangeville?
This town just happens to be right in the middle of everything.
Tell us all about it please..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2007, 03:44 PM

1,573 posts, read 2,925,177 times
I just love Grangeville!! We were there twice in the last month. Sort of traveling through looking at properties on either side. I think the Camas prairie is so pretty. Love all the farming around. Nez Pierce is close by and is a lovely tidy little town too. Housing is not too expensive. We looked at a great house in Cottonwood with a wonderful 50 X 30 shop and average size yard 4 bed and 3 bath house at $159.00. I was begging hubby to buy it. He wants to be closer to snowmobiling than Cottonwood is so it was a no for us, darn. But I think that is pretty reasonable cost. I think Cottonwood is 30 miles or less from Grangeville.

We looked through the town of Grangeville and decided it was a good place for regular shopping and we could easily get by with out having to travel all the way into Lewiston.There were lots of stores restaurants motels. Really a nice clean town.

Since we were really headed to other areas and just passing through we did not spend a lot of time there in Grangeville this time. We have in the past looked for places to buy there and at the time there really was nothing available since we needed property for our mules and cows. Things change so we no longer are looking for acreage.

I would move up there in a heartbeat. We also liked Pierce and Weippe after being told the Greer grade had been upgraded from what it was several years ago by some one from this board. Thanks!!! But Pierce and Weippe are a little far from employment unless you are retired or bring your job with you. We are retired so it does not matter to us.

Maybe on the down side for Grangeville is the job market. I really do not know how it would be. Maybe someone else will chime in on that.

Thumbs up from me on Grangeville

Chris

Old 07-15-2007, 04:14 PM

Thanks Chris sent you a PM.

Old 07-18-2007, 02:42 PM

4 posts, read 22,163 times
Chris is correct with his thumbs up on Grangeville and this is from a local kinda. And he REALLY had a good buy for $159. 00 for that home in Cotton wood....... maybe had his decimal in the wrong place. :>)
Prices are not too bad yet if you look around but are on the upswing. People are basically good like they used to be in Northern Calif in the 50' 60' and 70's. You could do a lot worse. Good luck.

Old 07-19-2007, 11:22 AM

1,573 posts, read 2,925,177 times
AW Fshguydan you are so very right. I intended to put 159K. What was I thinking. LOL

Are you still living up there or does "local kinda" mean you moved away?

I really am not excited about moving again and hope hubby decides to stay put here. But if we do move Grangeville is a real consideration.

What about Dirt Bike trails for Derertryder? Anything like that there?

Thanks for pointing out my $ mistake.

Chris

Old 07-19-2007, 04:57 PM

FishguyDan...
Oh Yes I will need a few dirtbike trails but I can also be very quiet and just fish and dodge Bears.
The dirbiking must go along with snowmobileing??
I mean if the trail is ok for snow mobiles in the winter can I assume it's ok for trail bikes when it's not frozen over ??
What I really want to do is move in very quietly and spend the rest of the year trying not **** off any of our new neighbors.
I have no problem trailering my motorcycles to a place where trail riding is not frowned upon.

Old 07-19-2007, 06:12 PM

4 posts, read 22,163 times
Default It's Beautiful

I should keep it a secret but since someone gave us a break 5 years ago I will tell you now....It is wonderful. We have the bike and snow trails but restricted enough to help the animals, great fishing and hunting and the nearest town to the east is Darby Montana which is over 10M acres away.
Grangeville is 13 miles away is why I said I was kinda local.You can do business with a handshake and the local ISP and sheriffs office will help your wife change a tire not harass her for going to slow because because of her 3 back surgeries like the P..... from the CHP in Californication.
Hope this helps feel free to email me for more details if need be.

Old 07-19-2007, 10:54 PM

448 posts, read 1,070,661 times
I must also give Grangeville and this whole area a thumbs up! It is a great place for retirement, not much for young families just starting out. It's mostly logging and agriculture around here for income. Growth potential is kept to a minimum. There is also great medical care and emergancy life threatening is flown to either Boise or Spokane, depending on the nature of the emergancy.The cost of living here is still what you could say is adequate. I happen to live wtih over 6 million acres of wilderness in my back yard to play in with wildlife abound. If the outdoors and a slow clean pace of life is what you want without frills, this is home. We even stop to let people across the street in or out of the crosswalk!! Usually with a wave and smile not the finger or words.

Old 07-24-2007, 10:35 PM

Thank you all for answering my Grangeville questions.
We do have school age kids and I am also able to retire.
I can always volunteer at the blood center and the kids can be in 4h.
Looks like we need to revisit Grangeville next year when we return.

Old 07-25-2007, 12:42 PM

448 posts, read 1,070,661 times
Are your kids in high school? If they enjoy outdoors there is lots to do. I hear the schools are ok. Lots are home schooled in these parts. Employment is hard to find, but there is some around. Summers are busy with out door work. Major shopping ie: WalMart,Costco,HomeDepot etc is hour and half away. We have two good grocery stores. Gas is compatible with other areas. Goes with the times. There's rodeos, 4 wheelers, biking, riding, hiking, fishing,hunting, sno mobiling, skiing for year round fun. There are drugs around as with everywhere. There's good kids and bad kids. The law enforecment doesn't tolerate much but are also good. Come by for a visit!! July and August are HOT and dry and this year especially so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho