Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 07:31 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,181,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkaboutcda View Post
There was not "another one" because all that was found was an abandoned suitcase full of clothes.
Suitcase Closes Streets In Downtown Spokane - KHQ Right Now - News and Weather for Spokane and North Idaho |
Thanks. I hadn't heard...thus the reason for using the words "if so" that was part of what you quoted.

It is still an assumption, however logical it may be, that race was a motive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 08:16 AM

382 posts, read 1,032,262 times
Don't move here if you think we are racists! Or bigoted. Why would you want to live next to racists? If the reputation of Idaho is that bad why even look at this place?

Old 01-21-2011, 04:28 PM

129 posts, read 583,451 times
It was a question, not a speculation. I see you are from Hayden, rather then telling me not to come because I think this or that, I just like to know what the situation is there. As for me , I am theologically, Orthodox Messianic Jewish, Republican, gun owner, conservative. Let's just say I really do not fit in well in a liberal town and want to be in a place with other like-minded people. I don't care if they are of my exact religion or denomination, but I am looking to be around people who are more religious, Christian, conservative , like myself. I really feel like a foreigner or outsider in Portland and just cannot integrate with the local hipster/liberal population of this city.

Also, I love to live in a place that is surrounded by nature rather than endless suburban sprawl of condos, housing subdivisions and mini-malls. I would love to be able within minutes to be hiking in the mountains or to spend the day at a beautiful and pristine lake. Also, it seems that CDA area is a shooter's paradise which is another major benefit. In PDX I am stuck shooting at crowded ranges with so many strict rules. I'd love to have the luxury to go into the forest and shoot, which is impossible around here. However, the shooting ranges there are really nice looking, even if I didn't want to go into the woods.

DOn't take it personally, but the neo-nazi headquarters was located in Hayden area for many years, so yes there is a bad reputation and I am sorry that the good people there have to bear that burden. Being Jewish, I hope you can understand where I am coming from and why I am asking. Seeing that a potentially tragic event occurred at MLK gathering not far from CDA made me worry a bit, but it would not prevent me from wanting to move up there.

Basically, I have not been up there since I was 13, so I don't know what the people think. SO, please tell me about the area and if someone says "Don't move here", then I think I may get the wrong feeling.

I am an accepting person , love nature, shooting guns, going to Temple/Church (being Messianic I do both) . However, I need to know my surroundings and amongst Jews, the area has a bed reputation. But I won't let reputations ever influence me, I want to hear from the people in the area and make my own decision.

Old 01-21-2011, 10:08 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,832,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.SmithW View Post
Republican, gun owner, conservative. .....accepting person , love nature, shooting guns
This is pretty much going to put you into the demographic of about 90% of the people I know up here...and nobody cares if/where you go to church.

Old 01-21-2011, 10:41 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,272,108 times
I am a relative newbie to the area but I can't imagine anyone giving two hoots that you are Jewish. Gun ownership BTW is a requirement as they check you at the border.

Old 01-21-2011, 10:45 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,872,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage of Sagle View Post
This is pretty much going to put you into the demographic of about 90% of the people I know up here...and nobody cares if/where you go to church.
My thoughts, too.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:04 AM

382 posts, read 1,032,262 times
Quote:
It was a question, not a speculation. I see you are from Hayden, rather then telling me not to come because I think this or that, I just like to know what the situation is there. As for me , I am theologically, Orthodox Messianic Jewish, Republican, gun owner, conservative. Let's just say I really do not fit in well in a liberal town and want to be in a place with other like-minded people. I don't care if they are of my exact religion or denomination, but I am looking to be around people who are more religious, Christian, conservative , like myself. I really feel like a foreigner or outsider in Portland and just cannot integrate with the local hipster/liberal population of this city.

Also, I love to live in a place that is surrounded by nature rather than endless suburban sprawl of condos, housing subdivisions and mini-malls. I would love to be able within minutes to be hiking in the mountains or to spend the day at a beautiful and pristine lake. Also, it seems that CDA area is a shooter's paradise which is another major benefit. In PDX I am stuck shooting at crowded ranges with so many strict rules. I'd love to have the luxury to go into the forest and shoot, which is impossible around here. However, the shooting ranges there are really nice looking, even if I didn't want to go into the woods.

DOn't take it personally, but the neo-nazi headquarters was located in Hayden area for many years, so yes there is a bad reputation and I am sorry that the good people there have to bear that burden. Being Jewish, I hope you can understand where I am coming from and why I am asking. Seeing that a potentially tragic event occurred at MLK gathering not far from CDA made me worry a bit, but it would not prevent me from wanting to move up there.

Basically, I have not been up there since I was 13, so I don't know what the people think. SO, please tell me about the area and if someone says "Don't move here", then I think I may get the wrong feeling.

I am an accepting person , love nature, shooting guns, going to Temple/Church (being Messianic I do both) . However, I need to know my surroundings and amongst Jews, the area has a bed reputation. But I won't let reputations ever influence me, I want to hear from the people in the area and make my own decision.

I am not taking it personally. I hear this question all the time. And I have heard it for over 20 years. Yes they are here. Have they ever killed or hung anyone in the cda area? Not that I know of. People act as if this place has weekly lynchings and marches. IT NEVER HAPPENED! You know when the Jewish defense league came to town they were the ones acting hostile and yelling insults. The Aryan Nation guys just stood there and took it. While I do not agree with their teachings I do agree that they can believe what they choose as long as it does no harm to anyone else.

I went to the parades they had I watched them. I wanted to know what they were doing in my town. They are nothing to fear. I fear the inexperienced hunter shooting me because he does not wait to see what he is shooting at. Been shot at before in the woods. And as far as this place being a shooters paradise. Sure if you think leaving your old tv sets and other garbage you decided to shoot and ya leave it in the woods. There is a lot of that going on around here. And actually the best shooting range around here was taken away by some Bay View transplants. Shooting oppurtunities are getting slim around here now.

I would say move here. Get a ccw permit carry your gun at all times. I do. It's nice to be able to carry multiple loaded guns in your car. This place is not the town you remember at 13 though. It's grown and it now has more city folk than country folk. Look for foreclosed homes. They are everywhere for sale around here. Ps the economy here sucks so having money or a job already set up is priory number one. Don't know if there are houses of worship in Cda. Maybe in Spokane though.

13 years ago this place was a true paradise. Now its a city...

Old 01-22-2011, 11:37 AM

898 posts, read 827,250 times
It's tough being Jewish in Idaho. Not because of bigotry but because we are few and far between! I'm also of the same political leanings as the OP but not as devout. Boise has the largest Jewish population in the state with both a reform/conservative synagogue and a Chabad synagogue.

Still, coming from California where so many of my friends were Jewish, it's a bit of a wandering in the wilderness experience here. Add being conservative politically when most Jews seems to be liberals makes you even more alone with regards to finding a Jewish community. At least, if you come here, you'll know there's at least one more like you in Idaho.

Old 01-22-2011, 11:39 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,819,045 times
Quote:
I was shocked by the news today. It seems someone tried to detonate a sophisticated explosive device at a Martin Luther King Jr parade. I am a right-wing conservative Jewish guy who wants to move to Couer d'Alene, but the old history of the Aryan nation stronghold around Hayden does still give me a bad feeling in my gut. I was wondering if anyone here can tell me there opinions about nazi/racist activity in the area? I am rather conservative and don't like living in liberal areas , so I thought I would fit in better in a place like Northern Idaho. However, being Jewish, I obviously have problems with neo-nazis and want to avoid them altogether. What are people's honest feeling about their activity in Northern Idaho/Northeast Washington?

Here's the article about what could have been a very tragic and horrible event in Spokane:
Being that the mind reading microchips are not mandatory.....yet.....we really don't know.

Old 01-23-2011, 04:46 AM

129 posts, read 583,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay View Post
I am not taking it personally. I hear this question all the time. And I have heard it for over 20 years. Yes they are here. Have they ever killed or hung anyone in the cda area? Not that I know of. People act as if this place has weekly lynchings and marches. IT NEVER HAPPENED! You know when the Jewish defense league came to town they were the ones acting hostile and yelling insults. The Aryan Nation guys just stood there and took it. While I do not agree with their teachings I do agree that they can believe what they choose as long as it does no harm to anyone else.
Well ejay, I guess I understand that you, not being Jewish, may not have any worries from the likes of the Aryan Nations, who probably would not wish to do YOU any harm. However, if you are Jewish, the tides do turn and you are their #1 target. Also, I am sorry that the JDL was mean to the neo-nazis, but considering that I am the grandson of a holocaust survivor, I don't think I can feel too sad for them for being abused by the JDL. You claim the Aryan Nation just sat there and took the insults? Well, the AN does most of its dirty work behind close doors; hence, why they moved all the way out to a remote location in Idaho for their headquarters. And, in case you don't know, one of the members from the Hayden Lake Aryan Nations went down to Los Angeles and opened fire in a synagogue killing and wounding many people. There are a few others who use to frequent the compound who were responsible for attacks on Jewish people. For instance, the man who shot up the Holocaust Museum in Washington DC, James W. Von Brunn also frequented the Hayden Lake location. Also, what about the business in Coeur d'Alene that was bombed, because the Aryan Nations members thought the owner was Jewish? It turned out that the owner was not Jewish. However, are you saying this event never occurred?

Anyway, I don't want to dive into politics, but I just have to share my view on this issue.

Quote:
I went to the parades they had I watched them. I wanted to know what they were doing in my town. They are nothing to fear. I fear the inexperienced hunter shooting me because he does not wait to see what he is shooting at. Been shot at before in the woods.
Even worse is the experienced hunter who knows what he is shooting at. Generally, white anglo/nordic Christians are not the prey of nazis, but Jews are. There is always danger in the forest, of course. That is horrible, that you were shot at... I guess I might need to learn from you places to avoid trekking in the woods around there. I have had run-ins with black bears and a cougar, but never had a hunter shoot at me. Not yet, heaven forbid.

Quote:
And as far as this place being a shooters paradise. Sure if you think leaving your old tv sets and other garbage you decided to shoot and ya leave it in the woods. There is a lot of that going on around here. And actually the best shooting range around here was taken away by some Bay View transplants. Shooting oppurtunities are getting slim around here now.
Well, this is the 21st century and there really is no such thing as paradise in the sense of the word. Let me rephrase, it's a heck of a lot nicer of a place to go shooting around there then here in Portland or anywhere in the Willamette Valley of Oregon. I am sorry to hear people are trashing the forests around there. As for me, I am the kind of guy who would not only clean up my own mess, but probably bring some extra bags to clean up other people's messes as well. We are experiencing the same problems out here in Oregon with areas in the national forest being shutdown because too many jerks decided to go and leave a bunch of garbage and spent shells in the area. It's really ashame.

Well, you seem to have a few really nice rifle/pistol clubs in the area. What do you think of the Fernand Gun Club? I talked to one of the people who run the range and it sounds really nice. Its open 24-7, has 400 yard high power range and action pistol/rifle bays. Good luck finding a range in Western Oregon that has an action rifle bay. There is a club in Canby, but the waiting list is 3 years long.. From what I heard, CDA/Spokane has a good number of rifle clubs. Also, many other people in the area say there is still a lot of nice places to shoot around there. With all the wilderness in Spokane and CDA I just cannot believe you cannot find some decent and remote spots. Also, the Centerfire Sports club sounds real nice during nasty winter months. They even let you shoot ARs indoors.

Quote:
I would say move here. Get a ccw permit carry your gun at all times. I do. It's nice to be able to carry multiple loaded guns in your car. This place is not the town you remember at 13 though. It's grown and it now has more city folk than country folk. Look for foreclosed homes. They are everywhere for sale around here. Ps the economy here sucks so having money or a job already set up is priory number one. Don't know if there are houses of worship in Cda. Maybe in Spokane though.

13 years ago this place was a true paradise. Now its a city...
Well, I am actually already good to go CCW wise in Idaho. I have both an Oregon and Washington CCW, so I am legally allowed to carry in Idaho which recognizes both my Oregon and Washington CCW. I always carry my gun with me, even to Temple. Well, excluding the Post Office . Yeah, I know some may think I am a bit over-worried, but with all the stuff going on, I think it makes a great insurance policy. Oregon has good gun laws like Idaho; I won't complain about Oregon's gun laws. Washington is by far more restrictive.

I was in Coeur d'Alene about 20 years ago, so yes, I can only imagine it changed. Actually, I was living in Pullman for a year, so we made frequent trips to CDA and Spokane at the time, because Pullman was a real no-mans land back then and probably still is a no-mans land. From my memory, CDA was a real pretty and small town and I was always happy to go there because I got to be around trees, a nice change of the hilly prairies of the Palouse. Well, I plan to spend a lot of time in the wilderness, but I am happy that CDA may offer some more amenities. I am sure the growth of the place probably has damaged some of the culture and charm of the town. That is a real shame. I definitely saw how dismayed the locals of Bend, Oregon were due to being overrun by greedy Californians who decided to eat up all the nice properties of that town and send prices skyrocketing.

Last edited by Mr.SmithW; 01-23-2011 at 05:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho