Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 12:09 PM

7 posts, read 9,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay View Post
You can put any bike you want on the street up here. My buddy has a plate on his cr500. He also has the lights on it too. I have my xr650r converted for the street and dirt. A basic dual sport kit will get ya by around here...
Cool, a wr450 with a light &turn signal kit ought to do it.
The next question is tires- true knobbies or a flat knobb as a compromise for the paved and dirt roads?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 03:12 PM

993 posts, read 3,252,585 times
Dunlop 606 front and back. There junk after 3000 miles but I feel better in the dirt with these tires.

Old 03-16-2011, 04:06 PM

382 posts, read 1,032,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lensman View Post
Cool, a wr450 with a light &turn signal kit ought to do it.
The next question is tires- true knobbies or a flat knobb as a compromise for the paved and dirt roads?

I am running a dun lop 952 rear and a Michelin m12 front. It really depends on your riding. I wanted a drit bike with lights that could go farther in the dirt. So I set my bike up to ride the trails and fire roads. I can get about a full summer of riding around here on that front tire. I like it for this area because it's slippery out in the woods around here. And that front m12 grabs very well. I can usually get through two rears before I have to replace the front. And on the street it does pretty well. The rear tire is nice because if you buy it in the spring you can use the sharpness and height of the tire to grip in the mud. As it wears and the season goes on it's perfect for the dry clay dirt we have around here. And when it gets about half worn down it leans very nice on the street.

Been running this combo for seven years now. Never had a cop even comment about my tires. When quads are running the roads with full knobby s I don't think they care much. If you live up here you will be able to ride from Cda all the way to Montana and not hit pavement if you do not want too. Of course you will need fuel. And you can ride over to Clark Fork to do that. There is a lot of really fun and nice forest service roads to explore around here. With a four gallon tank I can go around 160 miles plus depending on how I ride. I have stash points with fuel just in case spread around my routes.

A wr450 would be nice. Just do yourself a favor and have the suspension set up for off road. It really does make a difference. And if you can manage drop at least one tooth off of the rear. I noticed my 650 really ran better on the street with one less tooth. I have to use a little more momentum to get through tight stuff. A wr450 was what I was considering before I bought my xr650r. I would rather have the electric start at times too. Plus that bike has really good off road manners. I have ridden a few and they are very nice. A great bike. You will love it.

Old 03-16-2011, 04:06 PM

291 posts, read 669,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DESERTRYDER View Post
Big Ass, Big Age and Big Air = bad math.
2 flasks yes and 2 wheels on the ground
Well- we only live once, why prolong the agony.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:01 AM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
ejay, have you been around Hayden Lake up to Ohio Match road yet this year? I'm wondering if it's snow free yet this year, it's some of the lowest country I can think of. I want to get out and do some exploring Sunday.

Old 03-17-2011, 03:53 PM

382 posts, read 1,032,952 times
Last time I went it had snow on it that was a week ago. And they do close it because of the mud damage done to the road when the snow softens up. Last year they put up signs telling you that it was closed. I saw guys going in on 4 wheelers though. I also heard people got tickets for going past the signs. But I never confirmed it. Usually it's not until mid April before you can get around. At least from my past experience. And up around Hudlow the snow hangs in the shady spots. And their is a lot of them.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:19 AM

7,378 posts, read 12,666,226 times
Hanging out with the boys here, learning a lot of new words!

Old 03-18-2011, 09:25 AM

993 posts, read 3,252,585 times
Just sitting here flapping our lips cause it's still raining

Old 03-18-2011, 11:58 AM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
Quote:
Don't let a little rain stop you. I rode to where I meet up for carpool this morning....26 degrees. That's about my pain threshold.

Old 03-21-2011, 01:27 PM

291 posts, read 669,575 times
Quote:
Rain, thunder and lightning down here in Hell DR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho