Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 11:37 PM

33 posts, read 182,852 times

Advertisements

@Trouthunter

Well I am a college student in the moscow/pullman area, and I wish there was a retail store besides walmart (notice how I didn't include walmart) that I could work at. Despite how lovely small town stores are, a town full of them is difficult to find a job in. And, although there might have been in the past, Sears is no longer in the Palouse mall !
So I see your point, for sure, but...I NEED A FREAKIN' JOB!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2007, 04:22 PM

33 posts, read 103,784 times
Just a quick comment about schools...there was one comment about the schools not being very good. Please note the Pullman School District was recently named one of the 100 Best in the Nation.

Old 07-31-2007, 04:56 PM

47 posts, read 289,328 times
@C_ferreira,

I too remember being a poor college student (Go Vandals!) and can sympathize with your situation. I luckily stuck around at the end of the school year and would pick up work. This meant hanging around during summer, but I came to love that too. I'm sure you've checked your resources, but here are some thoughts from an UofI alumni.

The universities have many jobs, Tri-State outfitters, Rosauers, Safeway, many waiting/waitressing jobs at restaurants/bars etc... I worked at all these types of jobs and more while I was there, and sometimes I really had to hustle to get employed. Maybe things are different since I was there (1993-1998)/(2001-2002). I hope that Moscow/Pullman hasn't had a downturn in job openings. I wasn't aware of Sears leaving the town, and this is a disappointment to me. The mall must be less of an attractant than before.

Good luck with the job seaches, and by the way your banter on the Mormon issue really cracked me up (I remember it being very similar where I went to high school).

Old 07-31-2007, 08:45 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,663,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_ferreira View Post
Moscow feels slightly smaller, but most of the shopping is in Idaho. One thing I am disappointed about the Moscow Pullman area is the lack of a sears, target and fred meyer. And the highway between the two!
Oh yes, "the highway". When I attended WSU, (refuse to mention the year), the drinking age was 21 in WA, and 19 in ID. That highway was a deathtrap. Though heavilly patrolled, back then there were hundreds of WSU students driving back to Pullman, shall we say, less than sober, every night!
Probably less of a problem today with the uniform drinking ages, but what a dangerous road back then. I was lucky. Got pulled over just once and fortunately had not consumed enough to be suspected! Probably one of the best examples of why uniform drinking ages are a good idea.

Old 08-01-2007, 11:11 AM

47 posts, read 289,328 times
"Oh yes, "the highway". When I attended WSU, (refuse to mention the year), the drinking age was 21 in WA, and 19 in ID. That highway was a deathtrap. Though heavilly patrolled, back then there were hundreds of WSU students driving back to Pullman, shall we say, less than sober, every night!
Probably less of a problem today with the uniform drinking ages, but what a dangerous road back then. I was lucky. Got pulled over just once and fortunately had not consumed enough to be suspected! Probably one of the best examples of why uniform drinking ages are a good idea."

When I was there (after the drinking age change) it was customary to take two road trips a year into Canada for legal bar hopping. Creston, Cranbrook, Banff, Calgary, Vancouver, and Whistler all saw some action from Vandals. Talk about extreme! What memories Luckily we all stayed there and didn't do the DUI no-no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
View detailed profiles of: