Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 11:14 AM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times

Advertisements

Hi, Fields...
Take the 20. It's a great drive, and I've found it's about an hour shorter driving time if you stay right on the 65mph speed limit.
Once you get to Idaho Falls, stan on 20 until you get to Ashton, and turn off to the right there on 33 to Driggs. That drive eastward will put you right at the base of the west side of the Tetons (the west side is the best side). Pass through Driggs to Victor. From Victor, you will go over the Teton Pass and drop right into Jackson Hole. Big, big scenery all the way. Watch for elk/deer on the highway.

If you have the time, you can also pass by Ashton and go into West Yellowstone, then into the Park. The Old Faithful loop will take you out of the Park and straight into Moran without passing through Jackson. That will cost you the money for a Park Pass, but if you already have one, it is also a most excellent drive.

i doubt you will encounter early snow... I think we won't get any until November at soonest, but you never know for sure. The 20/26 drive will be slower if there is appreciable snow on the ground, but it's not too bad. The Teton Pass can be a snake when it's icy, but that's the only place on the route that has real problems for a driver who doesn't know how to navigate in snow.

Have fun. You are going to pass through some of the very prettiest country in the nation no matter which way you go after you go through Idaho Falls, and Old Mother Idaho is lookin' real good this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2011, 08:26 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,659,817 times
Agreed. Most highways are decent until the snow flies. When does this happen? Well, there is no exact timetable, but this fall seems to be shaping up as warm and dry. Check the forecast, and act accordingly. Enjoy.

Old 09-24-2011, 04:39 PM

430 posts, read 1,694,328 times
I think I'll take the interstate one way and the more remote way on the way back. When asking Googlemaps for directions for the later part of my journey, between Jackson Hole and Mountain Home, ID, it gives me these "warnings" about the 20/26 etc route. Anyone familiar with this section and what's the deal with a partial use road? And a toll road on US-89? Is that because its a section of road inside the park? Thanks again.

(these are actually the directions for heading *to* Jackson, but same difference)

"13. Turn right onto US-20 E/US-26 E/S Front St Continue to follow US-20 E/US-26 E
Partial restricted usage road (23.2 miles)
14. Slight left to stay on US-20 E/US-26 E Continue to follow US-20 E
Partial restricted usage road (43.3 miles)"

Old 09-24-2011, 06:43 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,659,817 times
There are no toll roads in Idaho. However, there is a charge to enter Yellowstone National Park, I believe it is 25 dollars.

I recently made a decision to drive from Twin to IF on either 84/82, or Hwy 20. I chose Hwy 20. I think it was a good choice, little traffic and while the speed limit was mostly 65, as compared to 75 on the Interstate, I felt more relaxed and enjoyed the scenery. It probably cost me 20 minutes, but who really cares about 20 minutes?

Last edited by pw72; 09-24-2011 at 07:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho