Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2011, 07:25 PM

2 posts, read 3,898 times

Advertisements

I'm currently looking into relocating to the Idaho area. I am a single male moving from the Northeast portion of the States. I'm looking for a low crime area that has a small townish feel, but is not extremely far from some nightlife and things to do. I do not want to live in the city. I've been doing some reserach but wanted to ask everyones opinion here.What are some nice suburban areas in Idaho? Any help would be appreciated...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2011, 08:58 AM

29,219 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Idaho doesn't have any suburbs as such outside the Boise area. There is a lot of open country surrounding every town, no matter how small, or city here. A small town here can be really small- fewer than 50 people. The entire state has a small-town feel.

Most of the arable land is used as farms and ranches, but there are lots of small acreages surrounding every city.

Nightlife has a different definition here... by Idaho standards, a small bar can be the only 'nightlife' in a 40 mile area. School sports activities are well attended events. Our cities all have movie theaters, clubs, coffee joints, etc., but typically, most places except all-night eateries are shut down by 1 a.m., the state requirement for bars and clubs where liquor is sold.

There is an excellent post in this forum on Idaho's crime rates by Sage of Sagle. It will give you a good picture of what and how high the crimes are statewide. In very general terms, Idaho's crime rates are very similar to other states in the Intermountain West, with the exception of Nevada.

Idaho's winters are cold, but our other seasons are super. I don't think I'm alone when I say Old Mother Idaho is the most beautiful place in the country- most the folks who were born here or moved here will say the same thing. We have some of the most varied terrain to be found anywhere, and there is a special place for everyone here, from top to bottom and side to side.

Come check it out! Idaho is actually 2 states divided in the middle by mountains, and the north is much different from the south. Both have their own unique charms. Be sure to plan enough time to look the whole state over- it's over 500 miles long.

I'm a native of S. Idaho, so I tend to favor this end of the state, but both ends are attracting lots of interest these days. Down here, the country is more open, dryer and higher. Up north, it's more timbered, slightly wetter, and lower. We have the spectacular mountains, they have the beautiful lakes.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:19 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,901,395 times
If you are interested in suburban living with nightlife close by the Boise Metro is your best option in Idaho. West of Boise and Meridian towards Canyon County, south to Kuna, north to Star and Eagle is very suburban. Further west of Meridian you get a mix of farm land and housing developments. What kind of nightlife are you interested in? Boise is obviously going to have the most active and diverse nightlife in the state. Last night, even though it was cold with a breeze, downtown Boise was hopping and busy with night life activities. Dia de los Muertos was celebrated last night also in an alley downtown and it was a good time.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:47 AM

7,382 posts, read 12,673,025 times
I have a feeling the OP doesn't necessarily want a "suburban" area, but uses the term because that is what he is familiar with in the NE--a liveable area close to a major town. He is also looking at Iowa for suburban places. Small towns within 40-60 minutes' driving time from Boise/IF/CdA etc. would probably work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho