U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2011, 08:15 PM

9 posts, read 29,120 times

Advertisements

Hello.

After being a reader of this board for over a year, I finally decided to sign up and post my first question. So, here it goes:
I am currently employed by a large mine here in Elko, NV. My job consists of driving 260 to 400 ton haul trucks. I was wondering if there are any large, open pit mines in Idaho where I can continue to use my skills. I'd like to move to Idaho before I get too old.

Thanks,

NVBB
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 06:09 PM

6,203 posts, read 6,317,847 times
There is one near Clayton Idaho (between Stanley and Challis). It is Central Idaho rather than Northern Idaho but it is right near the mountains Idaho.
http://www.thompsoncreekmetals.com/s...Creek_Mine.asp
There is a human resources e-mail elsewhere on that site.

They use 200-300 ton haulers 24/7 apparently.
Some pictures of the operations here http://www.idahorivers.org/pdf/ThompsonCktour.pdf

There are other mines, including some open pit-gold mines I believe.

New proposed mines noted here J.R. Simplot, Agrium Inc. plan to develop major new open pit mines in Southeast Idaho's Caribou County. | North America > United States from AllBusiness.com (http://www.allbusiness.com/legal/property-law-real-property-zoning-land-use/13077386-1.html - broken link)

Last edited by NW Crow; 02-19-2011 at 06:28 PM..

Old 02-19-2011, 06:21 PM

1,573 posts, read 2,689,843 times
I think the house my husband and I built in 1986 might be for sale up the East Fork in Clayton. Would be a perfect house to live in and work at the mine. My husband worked there for awhile. That old black Moly is nasty. Gets into your pours. I also heard through the grape vine Thompson creek might be hiring The problem is up there is is feast or famine.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:26 PM

Thanks for the information and links.

I will research the area and see what opportunities are available. I like Boise, but I prefer the mountains. Was sort of set on northern Idaho, but this would possibly work. I'll look at real estate prices and lot sizes/availability and will need to explore the area before I can make a decision.

The shovel looks like a P&H 2800XPB. We have 3 of those where I work, and one P&H 4100XPB. That shovel is big. 3 to 4 buckets and we are full.
There is also one Hitachi EX5500 hydraulic shover and one LeTourneau L2350 front loader. We call that one 'Latrino' because it breaks down several times a day....

The hours don't bother me. I take a bus every day from Elko to the mine site. It's a 100 mile trip each way and takes a good 90 minutes. We work 12.5 hours for 5 days straight before we get 5 days off. With commuting, the average day is in excess of 19 hours.

Again, thanks for replying and obtaining some possible leads. If there are trees and 4 seasons, I can adapt.

NVBB

Old 02-19-2011, 10:03 PM

I am not sure but the open-pit gold mines may be all in the past or the future rather than the present.

I've heard about a proposed CuMo mine project about an hour north of Boise but they are just about to start the serious exploration.

http://www.nytimes.com/gwire/2010/09...pagewanted=all
http://www.mosquitogold.com/s/NewsRe...al-Exploration
http://www.idahostatesman.com/2010/08/09/1296437/boise-basins-mining-revival.html (broken link)
http://www.cumoproject.com/

Old 02-19-2011, 10:09 PM

NVBB,

There are four seasons there. Winter. Winter, 5 minutes of spring a month of summer and back to winter again. When we lived in Clayton we had snow on the fourth of July and almost always Easter in snow. When we were building our house we has snow again the end of August and it was 17 degrees the morning we finally moved in on the 12th of October. But we rarely got much snow. Just a few inches at a time. It usually was so cold once the roads iced up it was there for the whole winter.

The drive up to the mine is lovely and there are lots of trees around the area. East fork is sparse of trees. Still lovely. The guy that bought our house over here still works there and we have a few friends still over that way if you want some one to talk to about the mine.

Old 02-19-2011, 10:27 PM

By the way is the Nevada mine where you work north of Elko? Perhaps out by Jack Creek?

Old 02-20-2011, 10:34 AM

shades_of_idaho,

From what you told me, I think I'll pass on that mine. Wife and I want an area that has at least 100 days of frost-free days. Elko gets hot here in the summer and extremely cold in the winter. We practically have no spring or fall months.... almost what Clayton looks like.

I guess we'll keep looking and if nothing pops up on the radar, finish our time here and then move up to Idaho.

We just want some trees, decent climate (I can live with the snow, since we go the equipment to blow/push snow from our mile long driveway now). Living in the desert is nice... but trees offer more warmth and shade than sagebrush does.

NW Crow,
The mine where I work is 90 miles SW of Elko by Crescent Valley and my wife's mine is 28 miles north of Carlin. Both owned by the same company.

Thanks for the detailed info, especially the weather part.

NVBB

Old 02-20-2011, 12:51 PM

90 day growing season is rare there. I did grow tomatoes against the house with a lean to green house over them. The foundation of the house retained the heat. I think the zone in that area was a solid 3 and bordered 4. 30 below was common in the winter. A 10 degree above day was considered a good winter day.

Maybe find your retirement place. Keep working where you are while buying the forever place and when you retire you have it paid for.

Chris

Old 11-06-2011, 10:37 AM

1 posts, read 5,881 times
In response to NVBB, your better off finishing your time in NV. You would only make half or less for wages if you even found work @ any mine site. Wages for craftsman are very low, you might even say they rank w/Alabama. As a matter of fact, I have seen bumper stickers that say, " Idaho The Slave Wage State "
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho