Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2011, 12:59 PM

2 posts, read 4,204 times

Advertisements

I am considering a job offer in Lewiston and am looking for information before making my final decision. A recent visit for my interview was short with bad weather and the paper mill running full steam. The area did not leave the best impression, however, I am not giving up hope as the job is attractive.

I would love suggestions of where to live, considering the following:

One significant other and a middle school child (i.e. good schools important)
Looking for house to rent, with yard for dog (not ready to buy yet)
Within an hour drive of Lewiston (other colleagues live in Moscow and commute)
Not a big hunter/fisher but we do like to camp/hike
Prefer trees to barren hills when given an option
We own a canoe and would like to use it
I do not want to think "I hate that smell" every time I step out of my house

Small side note that may help you see where I'm coming from: I have another offer in Grand Junction, CO. LOVE that area, but I love the Lewiston job much more.

Thanks

Last edited by BaileyBird; 03-04-2011 at 01:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2011, 10:17 PM

8,495 posts, read 8,780,831 times
You might look into Juliaetta and Kendrick and the nearby area NE of Lewiston. Trees along the river. I know there is seasonal kayaking on some of the smaller rivers and creeks, not sure how often the Potlatch River is suited for canoeing. Might depend partly on your tastes & skills. Several boat ramps nearby on the Clearwater River though. Dworshak Reservoir pretty close by with lots of shoreline camp spots, some developed a bit.

Probably about the same distance to Lewiston from there as from Moscow but the road experience might vary. Ask about winter driving.

Not sure how much the mill smell would be noticed there. I'd flat guess not bad or often at that distance from the mill.

I can't speak about school options and quality.

Maybe you can get some info on the Mann Lake area here or on the web or if you were willing to do the commute you could potentially look at Winchester or perhaps in between the two.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:58 PM

2 posts, read 4,204 times
Thanks for your input
J

Old 03-16-2011, 10:52 AM

2,223 posts, read 3,875,226 times
One significant other and a middle school child (i.e. good schools important) Most of the schools in the area are pretty good. I.E. you don't need to avoid an area because of schools. With that said, Moscow schools usually rate very well-probably due to the presence of the university, and Genessee has the top rated school in the state.

Looking for house to rent, with yard for dog (not ready to buy yet)
Shouldn't be a problem in any towns in the area. Prices will greatly vary. Smaller towns will be cheaper. Lewiston isn't bad. Moscow will probably be higher than the rest. Again, due to the U.

Within an hour drive of Lewiston (other colleagues live in Moscow and commute) The fact your colleagues live in Moscow ought to speak volumes. I live in Moscow and like it a lot. You might do a search on the forum and read about the town. Lots has been said.
Lots of towns in a one hour drive, all very small except Moscow. You may want to line out what you are looking for with some more detail.

Not a big hunter/fisher but we do like to camp/hike
Prefer trees to barren hills when given an option
We own a canoe and would like to use it
Lots of all of these wherever you land in or near Lewiston.

I do not want to think "I hate that smell" every time I step out of my house
I work in Lewiston and usually can't smell the mill. But I have a poor sense of smell. I am told that homes in The Orchards are usually outside the smell zone (Thats the are near the airport-up the south hill away from the mill)

Can you provide more of what you are looking for in a town? Size? Amenities? Shopping? Restaurants? Parks? All of that? None of that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho