Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 09:18 AM

7,379 posts, read 12,668,186 times

Advertisements

Great responses--that's the Idaho culture I know: a culture of common values, including respect for others. I think ambermerci is confusing race with ethnicity. That's an easy mix-up if one's reference point is the ethnic neighborhoods of SoCal...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 11:58 AM

161 posts, read 396,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambermerci View Post
I guess it matters to me because I love people and cultures and I like to be aware of the different types of people who live in each state. I am asking, merely out of interest. Coming from a multi cultural background myself, I really don't like "all white areas". I am half white, but I find those types of neighborhoods to be boring. No offense to anyone. I was actually considering Idaho as an option because I like the scenery, and low crime rate to raise my son in, but if its void of cultures, than its a NEVER. I prefer areas that have more than one type of race/nationality going on. DAVID: thanks for the movie referral.

American culture isn't a culture? Dunno, if I would call Idaho "void of culture".

But I understand if that doesn't fit your philosophy in life. That's the beauty of America, freedom to move to any part of the country that fits your view of life. Good luck in your search.

Last edited by jjkmd; 05-04-2011 at 11:59 AM.. Reason: punctuation

Old 08-10-2011, 09:29 AM

3 posts, read 7,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMartel2 View Post
Not sure what you mean by "void of cultures." The people of Wisconsin, for instance, are as white as the snow around them but have very distinct cultural identities. There are plenty of cultural identities in Idaho. Most of them, however, are white (translation: means "doesn't count" to the multi-culti cult). Somehow Mormons and other distinct cultural entities never get factored into these equations. Perhaps not exotic enough? No fun Mormon restaurants? Mormon tribal wear?

I'm going to have to get my Mormon friends to consider that.
Not one to usually have patience for abbreviations/anacronyms common to the texting world, this comment truly left me ROFLMAO (rolling on floor, laughing my A.. off)

I can see it now - an LDS restaurant that serves things like green jello and funeral potatoes!

On a more serious note, "CULTURE" means different things to different people. In reality, it is the combination of the behaviors, ideas and things that make up a total way of living, which means EVERY group has its own culture. You are ever so right when you say many imply that people of color have culture and whites do not, which is just silly really.

While I think it's great to have opportunities to interact with folks from different backgrounds, discounting an entire state simply because it has less racial diversity than other places doesn't make a lot of sense to me. But to each their own.

There is a terrific article David Brook originally wrote for the Atlantic Monthly back in 2003 that is a classic on how different groups tend to clump by choice into pockets with others like themselves.

You can read it here: People Like Us by David Brooks | Byliner

I will say when I moved to Idaho I was a bit unsettled by the white-bread population. I kept thinking, where is everyone else? But if you are committed to knowing and interacting with diverse groups it is absolutely possible here and absolutely worth the effort.

Old 08-10-2011, 05:18 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,936,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belladonnapiranha View Post
I will say when I moved to Idaho I was a bit unsettled by the white-bread population. I kept thinking, where is everyone else? But if you are committed to knowing and interacting with diverse groups it is absolutely possible here and absolutely worth the effort.
Learn something new everyday.

Old 08-11-2011, 09:42 AM

39,868 posts, read 26,503,175 times
One of the great things about Idaho is that there is a truely integrated culture of various races and ethnicities. You don't see the segregation and divisiveness of much of CA for example. We are Idahoians and Americans first and foremost. Not "northern-european americans", "african-americans", "asian-americans" or any other such BS hyphenated term. I don't see the hang ups of racial or cultural identity that much of the country has. Personally, I'd rather be playing in the woods or on the water than attending some hyphenated cultural festival.

Old 08-12-2011, 05:55 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times

Ah... green Jello! It's one of those Mormon things- green Jello can be a desert, or a salad, or a vegetable. It all depends on what's on top. Green Jello just sort of seeped into Idaho culture.
It's kind of like Chicago hot dogs that are garnished with cole slaw, not mustard and ketchup. Sounds weird until you try it. I don't see green Jello in restaurants much anymore, and it's a shame, really- it's the little oddities that make a distinctive culture distinctive.

It's true that Idaho is mostly white, but we are full of very different cultures that include differing races and heritages. A logger is a logger, a cowboy is a cowboy, an engineer is an engineer, a farmer is a farmer, and a hermit is a hermit. All have many races in each, and each is has it's own thing going.

The big difference here is our open spaces. Because we have so much open space, there is less congested elbow rubbing, and open spaces here don't have anybody much living in them, which makes for great equalization- a farmer who lives in them can get in the same kind of trouble, like a big snowstorm, as someone who lives in the city. The country guy helps the city guy, or vice versa in stuff like this, because nobody wants to be afoot in the middle of a ground blizzard.

In a big city, everyone rubs elbows all the time. I think it's one of the causes of social friction. Folks here come to town just to get a little elbow rubbing, sometimes.

And, once you meet a stranger out there, there's always some time to get to know each other before you get back to pavement and civilization.

That alone can become a great equalizer. There is always some nature's extreme here that makes hospitality and neighborliness more of a necessity than an option, because it doesn't everyone comes to realize that it goes around and comes around. The guy you pull out of the ditch today is the guy who will push you out of the snowbank tomorrow.

The other side of that is the guy who keeps going in the ditch and hollering for others to come help, but never shows up to do some pushing. It doesn't take long before they end up having to figure out how to extricate themselves all by themselves. Like anywhere, good will has it's limits here.

Old 08-12-2011, 07:14 AM

541 posts, read 1,224,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
One of the great things about Idaho is that there is a truely integrated culture of various races and ethnicities. You don't see the segregation and divisiveness of much of CA for example. We are Idahoians and Americans first and foremost. Not "northern-european americans", "african-americans", "asian-americans" or any other such BS hyphenated term. I don't see the hang ups of racial or cultural identity that much of the country has. Personally, I'd rather be playing in the woods or on the water than attending some hyphenated cultural festival.
Agreed. One thing I've noticed in every setting where I've lived is that races tended to get along better the more homogenous the society was. This includes when I was a minority and when I wasn't. The more diverse the region, the more racial strife, as you had factions and cliques forming that tended to create divisiveness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho