Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 06:03 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,275,575 times

Advertisements

As some might remember, I'm still researching my plan to relocate. I keep going back to Idaho. Well, now I'm looking at the area of Kooskia, Kamiah, and Orofino. I find these places to have an average of two feet of snow per year and and over 20-inches of rain. I would like to live some place that receives at least that much rain. The air quality in all three places is devine, around 99 in two of them and 85 in Kooskia. Water quality appears to be fairly good too.

I know Kooskia is in Idaho County and I've read that's not a great county in which to live. The other two towns are not in that county.

Any opinions on these areas would be great or any other area that perhaps gets similar precipitation/snow. No flat land ... must have mountains and trees.

The only states I'm considering are ID, UT, MT, WY, and perhaps CO. I've decided that the mountain west states are the best overall considering everything one might want to consider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2011, 10:03 AM

7,378 posts, read 12,666,226 times
CC, who'd forget a name like that? I remember your search, and was now reminded of your criteria. But I can't remember if you've been to the area. The drive from Orofino to Kooskia along the Clearwater is one of the most gorgeous in the NW. If you come for a visit, get a room at the Best Western in Orofino--it is on the river, and a great place to start your search from. Orofino is a town with some shops, and it's more open country; Kamiah seemed very charming, a small town on the river; Kooskia seemed a bit run-down to me, not so good vibes. But that's just from driving through. If you go to Google Earth you'll see that it's not really mountainous (tall pines, craggy mountains) but more hilly, with trees dotting the hills. I think it is breathtaking, but for tall pines you have to go further north/east/west, and then you get more snow. You may also want to look at the area around Winchester (around 4000' elevation)--still Central Idaho, but (if I remember correctly) way more trees. But with the higher elevation you get more snow. That's where the Sawtooth wolfpack is, and they've got snow! But if all you want is mountains and tall trees within a short driving distance, then live in Orofino (around 1000') and go up to Winchester or up the Lochsa for weekend trips, it's all close! What's not close is a medium-size town for shopping. The closest would be Lewiston, I guess.

Old 05-01-2011, 07:59 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,934,462 times
From my search up that way, to live in Orofino you have to like canyon living. You can go up on the bench and get more sun and out of the fog. From what I have heard Orofino is foggy, with icy roads in the winter.
As Clark Fork said it is one of the most beautiful areas to take a drive or ride. Not much for shopping, seems to be more of a fishing area.

Kamaih is a cute country town, the people are friendly, like Orofino, no shopping and not much to do. Kooskia, I'm with Clark Fork here, too it's not a very well taken care of town. We stop at the bar when we pass through, the people are friendly, just think it's poor in that area. You're near the Nez Perce Reservation, in that area, Kooskia just might be on the reservation, not sure.

Winchester...... I believe only has 50 people, there's no shopping at all not even a convenient store. Lewiston is 45 mins from here I believe.

You might look at Grangeville, it's a quiet town, believe it's 1 hr from Lewiston. Trees, moderate weather, it's flat, but you can get into the foothills and have trees. Here's a link.......Visiting Grangeville, Idaho (http://www.grangevilleidaho.com/visiting-grangeville-id.html - broken link)

There are also some towns up by Moscow....... Troy, Viola and Potlatch. Lots of trees, moderate snow. Lewiston 30 mins away, might be 45 mins.

I remember your name because it has "Canine" in it. Wasn't you looking up by Bonner Ferry? I might be confusing you with someone else on here.
Just wondering if this was you what changed your mind?

Old 05-02-2011, 11:06 PM

121 posts, read 347,807 times
I think Idaho County may not be the best place if you expect the government to take care of you. But if you just want them to leave you alone and let you build your own life and fix your own problems, there's no place better.

The well water in places around Kooskia, Stites, and Big Cedar is some of the best I've tasted. They could bottle that stuff and sell it.

I used to work in an office in the "mini-mall" in Kooskia across the street from the bank. I remember getting a call from the bank, informing me my account was about to overdraw. I walked across the street and made a deposit. I've never had service like that from a bank in a bigger town.

But yeah, if you think building codes and city ordinances are a good thing, best stay clear of Idaho County.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:33 PM

Thanks for the advice all. I really appreciate it. No, 3~Shepherds, I wasn't ever looking around Bonners Ferry. I started in southern Idaho, but I've decided that was too dry. I even thought the Salmon area was pretty but again, too dry.

CFF ... I haven't been to the area. I've only been to Idaho once in 1978, Coeur d'Alene. I don't remember any of the towns we went through when we drove back home to California (where I lived at the time). We did come travel from Bellingham, WA to C d'A. Two months after the trip, we moved to Texas because of family.

I will check out all the places mentioned and thanks again for the information on O, K, and K.

Old 05-05-2011, 08:51 AM

7,378 posts, read 12,666,226 times
You've probably read it before on these threads, but if there's any way you can come visit before making a decision, then do it! You have to see for yourself--only you know what feels right for you--trees, water, open country, canyon living, snow/less snow, etc. What I'd do (which is pretty much what I did in my property search, except it was North Idaho and Western Montana) is create a great travel route/loop with Mapquest, and fly into Boise or Spokane this summer and rent a car, and have some fun exploring Central and North Central Idaho! Then, ideally, come for a few days in winter, too. I don't recall if you need to find work, but all the "Moving" threads will tell you that it's really taking a chance if you move without a job lined up. But since you're considering such small towns as Kamiah and Kooskia (pronounced KAMee-eye and Kooskee, by the way ) it isn't likely that you'll also be looking for work. That being said, if you can't come out on a scouting trip, then an option would be to rent for a while (6 months to a year) in some nice place such as Moscow and do side trips, getting to know the area, before making your final decision.

Old 05-06-2011, 08:47 AM

Well, I've only a few more years to retirement and what I would do is rent a place for several months and really scope out the area. I hope to make a trip that way before I can spend many months up there but right now, I'm just not sure when. It's so exciting to know one day I just may relocate even in my "old age." I can't wait to visit your gorgeous state and live there for a while until I decide on my final move.

Old 02-25-2012, 05:46 PM

8 posts, read 31,840 times
I've never lived in North-Central Idaho, but I'm looking to move there myself.

Some people say Idaho County isn't a great place to live because there are so few ordinances/laws and that brings in people with trashy yards, falling-down houses, etc.

But I see it from the other side - I lived in Pasco, WA where the city ordinances were SO strict that the city even dictated how much of your front yard was required to be greenery. (70%, by the way, and if it is grass it has to be kept below 3 inches in height at all times, sidewalks and pathways clear and trimmed neatly). You could not keep an RV on your property unless you covered the wheels, no antennas/cb towers, no hanging laundry on un-approved items, no furniture outside unless it was specifically designed to be outdoor furniture, if you want to have a garage sale you must purchase a permit from city hall, etc. There was an ordinance for virtually everything you could possibly think of that has to do with property.

This might not seem like they're asking much, but our property taxes were $3600 a year. We rented our house to friends for about six months, and in that time we got 2 citations: they had gone swimming and left their beach towels hanging on the front porch for about a week; they had a kitchen chair on the front porch because they were re-painting it. Both of these brought a "clean it up within 10 days or you will be fined $100 for each day thereafter for which you do not comply."

The $3600 in property taxes did not bring us any real benefits. The city police were horrible, our utility prices skyrocketed.. it was just miserable. So I say bring on the trashy neighbors - I'd rather deal with them than the local government breathing down my neck telling me what I have to do and what I cannot do. Land of the free depends entirely on where you live.

and Kooskia is beautiful, the people are friendly - what more could you ask for?

Old 02-27-2012, 09:31 AM

448 posts, read 1,070,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longingtoleave509 View Post
I've never lived in North-Central Idaho, but I'm looking to move there myself.

Some people say Idaho County isn't a great place to live because there are so few ordinances/laws and that brings in people with trashy yards, falling-down houses, etc.

But I see it from the other side - I lived in Pasco, WA where the city ordinances were SO strict that the city even dictated how much of your front yard was required to be greenery. (70%, by the way, and if it is grass it has to be kept below 3 inches in height at all times, sidewalks and pathways clear and trimmed neatly). You could not keep an RV on your property unless you covered the wheels, no antennas/cb towers, no hanging laundry on un-approved items, no furniture outside unless it was specifically designed to be outdoor furniture, if you want to have a garage sale you must purchase a permit from city hall, etc. There was an ordinance for virtually everything you could possibly think of that has to do with property.

This might not seem like they're asking much, but our property taxes were $3600 a year. We rented our house to friends for about six months, and in that time we got 2 citations: they had gone swimming and left their beach towels hanging on the front porch for about a week; they had a kitchen chair on the front porch because they were re-painting it. Both of these brought a "clean it up within 10 days or you will be fined $100 for each day thereafter for which you do not comply."

The $3600 in property taxes did not bring us any real benefits. The city police were horrible, our utility prices skyrocketed.. it was just miserable. So I say bring on the trashy neighbors - I'd rather deal with them than the local government breathing down my neck telling me what I have to do and what I cannot do. Land of the free depends entirely on where you live.

and Kooskia is beautiful, the people are friendly - what more could you ask for?
Having lived in Grangeville/Kooskia area, I have found that for climate it's great, for lifestyle it's great, for conveniences, fairly great, for people great, for cost living , ID county is great. AND they seem to try not to merge government into lifestyle. On one side that's great and can be a little not too great. I'd move back possibly if I could

Old 02-28-2012, 08:03 PM

Thanks, longingtoleave509 and janab. I appreciate any and all opinions. I can't wait to visit and one day, that will happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho