Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 11:38 AM

13 posts, read 40,004 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

My family (me, husband, and kids age 5 and 2) want to move out of the mosquito-infested swamp that is FL. We particularly love it out west, love snow (or at least the idea of it!!), want the different seasons, and we LOVE to hike, bike, camp, ski, and sled, so close outdoor parks, forests, trails, etc are a must. I NEED sunshine since I'm from FL...stayed in Bellingham,WA, for a few weeks once and literally got sick from lack of sun. I love rain and storms, but I can do with only a little of it if necessary. We also like water activities, and the CDA's lake is appealing. Also, we'd like a city that is around 50,000 - 80,000 people, maybe a little more or less. I stay at home w/ my kids, so we're a one-income family.

Would we be comfortable in CDA?
Where else would you suggest we look?

TIA!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2011, 12:07 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,839,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus Flower View Post
I NEED sunshine since I'm from FL...

This unfortunately means that North Idaho is NOT the place for you. We have sunny summers, mind you, and some clear days here and there in the spring/fall...but LONG gray dark winters where you see the sun only once every week or two maybe. (We call it a "sun break")

Old 05-18-2011, 12:16 PM

And that's what I was afraid of... Thanks, though! Needed to hear it.

Old 05-18-2011, 12:23 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,839,717 times
No problem. This area is (IMO) the best place to live in the whole USA...IF you can handle the long dark winters (we take vacations to sunny states in Jan and Feb which helps) and LOTS of snow clearing and 8-10 weeks of sub-freezing temps (the highs won't go above 32F from mid Dec to mid-late Feb).

Old 05-18-2011, 06:02 PM

Yeah, that's a lot different from FL...lol.

This may be a dumb question, but what do you do during those 8 - 10 weeks of dark, gray and sub-zero weather? In case we decide to go for it. It really does sound beautiful out there!

Old 05-18-2011, 06:14 PM

161 posts, read 396,544 times
Ski, snow shoe, snowmobiling, ice fishing, vacation to somewhere warm!

Old 05-18-2011, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjkmd View Post
vacation to somewhere warm!
LOL...good time to visit family in FL, huh? haha

Thanks!

Old 05-18-2011, 07:03 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Fort Collins-Loveland, CO
Boulder-Longmont, CO

You don't have to worry about the lack of sun thing in Colorado.

Old 05-18-2011, 09:49 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,744,831 times
I'm from the east originally though I spent 10 years in sunny Arizona, and I don't think it's terribly cloudy here in winter. Definitely more so than AZ or SO Cal, of course, but less cloudy than IN and very close to Boston or Atlanta as far as cloudy days.
You should check out Albuquerque, NM as well if you're looking for sunshine and cold winters. Oh..and Flagstaff, AZ. I used to live there and it's a wonderful place to live, though salaries are low and cost of living fairly high.

Old 05-18-2011, 10:11 PM

8,498 posts, read 8,790,853 times
If you a city that is around 50,000 - 80,000 people with more sun and fairly near outdoor stuff (mountains to the east, Columbia River to the west), you might consider Walla Walla WA. 30,000 in town, 60,000 in the metro. Modest rain & snow. Almost 200 sunny days. Decent economy for today and in pretty good position for the future. Home prices will vary by the desirability of the neighborhood but the average price in moderate.

Helena MT has 70,000 in its metro. Snowfall in the same range as CDA but more sun. Decent economy for today and cheaper houses than Walla Walla WA. Mountains and a big lake nearby.

Nampa ID has 75,000 itself, though it is a part of the Boise metro. Plenty of sun. A lake. Cheap houses. Not a lot of jobs right now.

Wenatchee WA, Lewiston ID, Klamath Falls OR are not for everybody but I'll briefly mention them as being about the right size with sun and nearby outdoor rec.

Bend is bigger than you asked for,with pretty severe employment issues so I wouldn't really recommend it, but it is another option.

Any place far north with have less light in the winter, especially compared to Florida. Winter clouds are still going to be fairly common even in these sunnier NW places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho