Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2007, 11:15 AM

27 posts, read 95,161 times

Advertisements

I just found out that I will have a job in Mountain Home. We were looking for a place to retire out west and now the job will make it possible. YES...we were looking for small town USA so the 12,000 population doesn't bother us at all. What I'm looking for is:

1. Rental prices for a 2+ bedroom home. Won't buy for about 6-9 months.
2. Are Mountain Home home rentals pet friendly?
3. Adult Education? I'd like to start taking some classes. Are there any colleges in town.
4. Mountain biking trails in a 30-60 mile radius of Mountain Home? Must be some good trails in the area but not necessarily in the mountains.
5. Real estate market conditions: Are prices steady or headed downward?
6. Older Homes: We'd prefer to live in an older home...circa 1920's - 1940's. Are there any homes that fit this type of description in town?

Those are just some of questions I have!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2007, 11:26 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,535,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopKnot View Post
I just found out that I will have a job in Mountain Home. We were looking for a place to retire out west and now the job will make it possible. YES...we were looking for small town USA so the 12,000 population doesn't bother us at all. What I'm looking for is:

1. Rental prices for a 2+ bedroom home. Won't buy for about 6-9 months.
2. Are Mountain Home home rentals pet friendly?
3. Adult Education? I'd like to start taking some classes. Are there any colleges in town.
4. Mountain biking trails in a 30-60 mile radius of Mountain Home? Must be some good trails in the area but not necessarily in the mountains.
5. Real estate market conditions: Are prices steady or headed downward?
6. Older Homes: We'd prefer to live in an older home...circa 1920's - 1940's. Are there any homes that fit this type of description in town?

Those are just some of questions I have!
Top Knot, I was stationed at MHAFB back in '94-'96 and LOVED it! I'll let the residents and other experst help you with the rest; but I'll start with adult education; Several universities have programs on base and civilians are most welcome! Boise State University is an hour to the West. Best of luck!

Old 09-23-2007, 10:27 AM

1 posts, read 3,028 times
TopKnot,
I have lived here for 39 years, may I just say that I love it.
As far as I know the real estate market is ok but let me try to answer some of your questions, (as I see some people do not know this place well). Rent for a 2 bedroom (depending on any amenities you want) can go between 350.00 - 800.00 (much cheaper than Boise). We have several lumber stores and 2 or three plumbing stores for anything like a kitchen remodel you would have to go to Boise, We have 3 little malls here now, with a rent-a-center, walmart, 2 major grocery stores, ups, many dr. offices, and the hospital is not that bad for a small town (I know I have been in there a few times), very friendly staff.
Some properties are open to dogs (but with a deposit of course).
As far as mountains let me just say it is only a 20-30 minute drive to get there, there are many places to hike, there are several small lodges and/or creeks. We have deer creek lodge, fall creek, pine, featherville and a lovely place called baumgartner (I have not been up there lately) but it has a hottub for everyone with camping areas, we have two lakes for fishing.
There is Strike Dam which is lower level with plenty of boating room not to mention fishing with a little place called black sands to eat at with drinks and maybe some pool games (billiard that is). with camping areas as well as picnic areas. Then there is Anderson Ranch Dam up in the mountains (it is most striking up there) there are many streams and there is also hunting (all kinds if that so intersts you). About 20 miles from here is a lovely place called Bruneau Sand Dunes (I believe some of the biggest in the pacific northwest), Go about 60-80 miles from here is a place called The Ice Caves, where you go down and (its quite chilly) but you can see stalagtites, stalgmites with souvenirs go about 50 more miles from there and you are in Sun Valley great ski resorts up there. If you go in the opposite direction of The Ice Caves you can see Shoshone Falls (feel free to look this all up on your web) which has a longer drop than Niagara (although now the best time to be able to catch it running is in April) there are even places in the mountains to rent horses to go riding.
Then of course going 40 miles the other direction from Mountain Home is Boise (great shopping if you like all the traffic) and can provide you with what you need if you cannot find it in Mountain Home.
My son and I have allergies but it is not that bad here, however it is worse in Boise as they have inversions on quite a few occasions.
Well I hope this answers your questions, and yes the Boise Airport is lovely now and was just updated, oh one more thing I almost forgot the canyon we have here as well it is called The Bruneau Canyon.
Any more questions just ask.
Sincerely,
Ahrtuhmihs

Old 09-27-2007, 01:45 PM

27 posts, read 95,161 times
ahrtuhmihs: Thanks for all the information about Mountain Home. I will be moving to Mountain Home in January 2008. But the best part is I will be spending the first 2 weeks of October in MH for training so I'll be able to really get a feel for what the area is like.

While I have never been to Mountain Home or even southern Idaho, I cannot help to think it will be a much better place to live than in the Southeast US. I like fishing, hiking and mountain biking. My body may be getting a little to old for skiing but after a summer of hiking and biking, who knows.

The Snake River also seems to be a big attraction. A kayak or canoe may be in my future also.

Rock Hounding / Geocaching? Anyone in the Mountain Home area know of any good places to look for interesting rocks? Also would like to try geocaching. Any local clubs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho