Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2017, 03:19 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,900,306 times

Advertisements

https://www.boiseweekly.com/boise/bo...nt?oid=7547686

Boise State Hosts Rare On-Campus Naturalization Ceremony, Welcoming 40 New Citizens

New U.S. citizens share stories of immigration, the citizenship process and coming home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2017, 08:00 AM

Growing Idaho: How is growth impacting schools and education? | KTVB.COM

TREASURE VALLEY -- Most city planners agree that growth is good, but it can often be painful for those not prepared.

According to the Idaho Department of Labor, the Boise Metropolitan Area - which includes Ada, Boise, Canyon, Gem and Owyhee counties - is now one of the top 20 fastest growing metro areas in the nation. Population grew by 2.3 percent between 2015 and 2016. Since 2006, the Department of Labor reports the metro area has grown by almost 121,000, or 21 percent.

Old 12-02-2017, 08:40 PM

6,357 posts, read 7,768,830 times
Default Open-pit Mine in Boise National Forest

Uh oh! From today's CdA Press.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coeur d'Alene Press
Forest Service plans public meetings on open-pit mine

BOISE (AP) -- The U.S. Forest Service is holding public meetings on proposed exploration drilling for an open-pit molybdenum mine a Canadian company wants to build in the Boise National Forest in central Idaho.

The agency on Tuesday announced meetings on Dec. 5 in Boise, Dec 6 in Idaho City and Dec. 7 in Garden Valley.

The agency is accepting comments as it prepares a supplemental environmental assessment involving exploration drilling planned by Vancouver, British Columbia-based American CuMo Mining Corp.

A federal court ruling last year ordered the Forest Service to re-evaluate the potential harm the exploratory drilling could cause to Sacajawea's bitterroot.

About 80 percent of the known population of the plant is int he Boise National Forest where the mining company says the largest unmined deposit of molybdenum in the world is also located.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 12-03-2017, 07:23 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
I don't know how much damage molybdenum mining does, but if this is the largest molybdenum deposit in the world and if it doesn't do too much damage to extract it, the value should go to the American taxpayer, not be exported to Canada.

Old 12-03-2017, 03:55 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I don't know how much damage molybdenum mining does, but if this is the largest molybdenum deposit in the world and if it doesn't do too much damage to extract it, the value should go to the American taxpayer, not be exported to Canada.
There's a senior molybdenum mine in south central Idaho, near Challis, that's been operating only sporadically for some time, but the deposit is far from depleted. That mine has been in operation now around 30 years.

It seems to me that if the ore demand was all that great, we would be a lot better off mining there first until the demand stabilizes enough to warrant a second, new, mine being permitted.

What we don't need right now is more on-again, off-again mining going on. I think that before any new mine is permitted, it must show it can fully employ those who work there first.

After all, the deposit isn't going anywhere. Let the mines that are already established get to full-time, all the time, first.

Old 12-17-2017, 07:54 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,275,974 times
Default REPORT: Idaho roads and snow, not good

Bonner County Daily Bee - Local News, From record dry to lots of mayhem

We should launch another study to figure out why Florida scored so well.

Old 12-17-2017, 10:27 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
This winter is beginning to shape up like last year. It's a little earlier than it was last year, but SID has received some recent snowstorms too, and more are expected.

But not before it gets real cold down here. By the end of next week, Idaho Falls will have 2º days with sub-zero nights for several days. And then, more snow is forecast.

Actually, I'm glad to see it all. This is how the weather should be this time of year; the warm dry winters of the recent past have always cycled, and we're still in a typical cycle, just on the other side. At least I hope so- if these snowy winters don't continue in their normal cycle, we could become like California and burn every summer all summer.

Our snow is our best natural defense against wildfire, so let it fall aplenty. Better snow now than forest and range fires later on.

Old 12-18-2017, 07:57 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Snow report on the radio this morning (North Idaho). It looks like it is going to be a great year for skiers.

Old 12-20-2017, 01:43 PM

Census figures show Idaho has U.S.'s fastest-growing population | Idaho Statesman
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho