Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2014, 07:34 PM

276 posts, read 640,758 times

Advertisements

Since I am considering living in SP, I occasionally read the Bee.
Seems the voters of Bonner County are quite astute.

I'm ignorant of the facts, details, and outcome of the charges
brought against Ann Dutson-Sater, but her letter-to-the-editor
published today reveals a condescending and elitist attitude
toward the residents of the county who recently voted her out.

An excerpt:
"I...am disappointed that the taxpayer dollars spent in order
for me to learn this very large job have been wasted..."

Maybe a touch of humility, rather than disdain, would have been in order?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2014, 08:11 AM

276 posts, read 640,758 times
Default I Love WinCo!

I see WinCo just opened a store in Lewiston.
Chalk up another point for Grangeville!

Grocery Supermarket | Lewiston, Idaho

Old 11-18-2014, 06:12 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,693,617 times
Default Idaho Christian faith healers — 12 kids have died since 2011, and nobody’s doing anything about it

Idaho Christian faith healers — 12 kids have died since 2011, and nobody’s doing anything about it

Old 11-25-2014, 12:37 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,854,979 times
Activists make push for legalization of marijuana in Idaho | Local News | Idahostatesman.com

Quote:
A 2010 survey by Boise State University's Public Policy Center showed that 74 percent of Idaho respondents supported medical marijuana for very ill or terminally ill patients.

Old 12-03-2014, 03:29 PM

332 posts, read 480,351 times
Toy gun found at Middleton school leads to lockdowns

Old 12-03-2014, 05:42 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,207,896 times
For very ill and terminal patients....YES. (Honestly, if you are terminal, will you care if it is legal or not?)
For a sore big toe, hang nail, or other type of minor injury then NO. And I have seen medical marijuana prescribed for ludicrous reasons such as stubbed toe. (Which I admit hurts like hell, but really drugs are not needed to treat.)

Old 12-10-2014, 09:42 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,854,979 times
Businesses support national monument - Idaho Mountain Express Newspaper: Environment

Businesses support national monument
Letter urges Obama to protect Boulder-White Clouds

Old 12-10-2014, 05:01 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,207,896 times
Not saying I'm for it or against it, but who pays for it? I can tell you who benefits, and that is the retailers who signed the letter. If they were not going to benefit from it, they would care less about it.

If the monument is controlled by the BLM it will be less restrictive and basically nothing will change as to how it is today. Any trails, mining/gas/oil operations (if any) will continue, but not new trails, or mining operations will be allowed. BLM could allow a county to improve roads, or bring in their own crews and open new roads and new campgrounds, if they decide upon it and there is not any large numbers against it.

If the monument is taken over by the NPS, expect a ton of restrictions, and expect the possibility of hikes no longer allowed to hike with dogs and no dispersed camping in most areas.

I moved here from Moab and there was a big push by the local retailers to make a large segment west of Moab into a Greater Canyonlands National Monument. This monument would basically surround the existing Canyonlands NP. The talk was for the BLM to take over, since most people wanted to continue to off-road vehicles, take their dog hiking and camping and still have tons of dispersed camping areas. Problem was, when the local businesses found out that BLM would not be shutting down any of the oil wells/potash mines/copper mines, etc., they didn't like that. BLM would have everything to remain exactly the same, must no more new mining, oil/gas drilling. A large monument such as this, makes it impossible to charge for entry such as they do in an National Park. (One good example is the Grand Staircase Escalante National Monument in Southern Utah. NO charges to enter, off-roads trails basically untouched, and one area closed to all mining operations. However, the GSENM operations staff is very large and costly and paid by US tax dollars.)

Retailers also did not want the NPS to take over, since that would be the start of roads closing (these roads are all county in that area), and dogs being banned from back country hiking and that meant pretty much the entire area would be classified as back country.

So, before people start hoping for monuments, find out who they want to control the monument, and then decide is it really worth it in the long run? And make sure to note that those who will benefit financially will do so at taxpayers expense for controlling the lands.

Again, I'm neither for it, or against it since I don't know that much of it.

Old 12-10-2014, 05:35 PM

29,175 posts, read 22,167,290 times
Hi, f5…
I suspect that Rep. Mike Simpson's (our 2nd district Rep.) plan for the Boulder-White Clouds may be the one used if it's made a Nat. Monument.
Rep. Simpson wrote a bill he worked very hard on that had general agreement and consensus on all sides of the issues about 4 years ago, but the bill never made it to a floor vote. His bill took into account all the various users of the land- the livestock growers, the wilderness advocates, and all the others. They all were allowed input, and after many meetings agreement among all was finally accomplished.

I can't remember the reasons why the bill was never presented for a vote, but I think the times simply weren't right at the moment as much as anything. Now that it's being considered again, Simpson's bill may undergo another try, as nothing has changed since then, and it's all ready to go.

Old 12-10-2014, 05:41 PM

448 posts, read 805,066 times
According to the Idaho Conservation League's website, the USFS and BLM would retain management for the land they currently manage. The goal seems to be to get a unified management plan for the area including restricted areas and motorized recreation, resource extraction, etc. and prevent future development of a huge roadless area. People have been trying to get Congress to declare the area an official Wilderness Area for over a decade but haven't been able to get a bill through congress, so they've switched to a less-intense appeal directly to the president to declare the area a National Monument instead.

I personally think it'd be better to find the wilder areas and get them zoned as official wilderness and leave the rest the way it is. Might be less expensive too, not sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho