Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2015, 10:28 PM

29,175 posts, read 22,146,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post
Good thing it's put on hold, or it would be a good thing if they built it?

As you point out, a second bridge might alleviate some congestion at grade level road crossings, and it might also improve safety if trains spent less time transiting the region. As it is, the fact that BNSF has decided not to move ahead is an indication of less train traffic, which in and of itself is good for the region IMO.
The hold could be due to the current oil glut. I heard a couple of days ago that there's so much oil on the market that the wholesale price could fall as low as $20 a barrel before it hits bottom. That means fewer oil trains for BNSF through Sandpoint for possibly 2 years or more, as most of the cheap oil will go straight from the tanker to oil depots close to refineries. The long-distance transport could make crude unprofitable due to the shipping costs. Buffet isn't going to make any big capital expenses like that bridge in a collapsing market.

The real problem of the glut is mostly due to the Russians. Their economy was entirely based on high oil and gas prices for over 15 years, and they have new fields of both. They are having big international credit problems, so they're selling all the oil they can pump at any price they can get. OPEC- essentially the Saudis, dropped their oil price to the floor in hopes of stopping the Russians about 9 months ago, but the plan failed.

Who knows what the Crazy Ivans are thinking. Maybe they plan to keep the glut going long enough to slow or stop American and Venezuelan production? Who knows?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2015, 10:00 AM

271 posts, read 388,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post
Good thing it's put on hold, or it would be a good thing if they built it?

As you point out, a second bridge might alleviate some congestion at grade level road crossings, and it might also improve safety if trains spent less time transiting the region. As it is, the fact that BNSF has decided not to move ahead is an indication of less train traffic, which in and of itself is good for the region IMO.
I meant good that it was put on hold, but you pretty much echoed my opinion that there are potential positive aspects to both, depending on what the future holds for future demand. I don't know the business and am not familiar with it's intricacies, but I'd primarily like to see less train traffic though the area first and foremost. However, if there is sustained or increased traffic, then I could see another bridge helping to alleviate jams on either side which would be good.

Old 09-17-2015, 10:12 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,850,763 times
Taco truck, stolen from Boise, found in rural Owyhee County | Crime | Idahostatesman.com

Old 09-17-2015, 10:23 AM

2,389 posts, read 2,987,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disciple1975 View Post
I don't know the business and am not familiar with it's intricacies, but I'd primarily like to see less train traffic though the area first and foremost. However, if there is sustained or increased traffic, then I could see another bridge helping to alleviate jams on either side which would be good.
Pretty much where I come down on this. I think demand for train freight traffic is subject to a whole bunch of factors that are independent of whether there are 1 or 2 bridges across LPO. As Mike points out, much of it in the near term has to do with oil prices and the cost effectiveness of extracting and shipping oil out of the Bakken oil fields. That's challenging right now, which is depressing train traffic. I don't think that will last though, so at some point down the line traffic may increase, and at that point I'd like the infrastructure in place to handle that traffic as safely and with as little impact to the area as possible.

Dave

Old 09-17-2015, 10:39 AM

Home Away from Home | Idaho Statehouse rally welcomes refugees | News | Boise Weekly

Old 09-24-2015, 02:11 AM

7,340 posts, read 12,559,322 times
Gun rally next week in Cd

Quote:
COEUR d’ALENE — The Idaho Second Amendment Alliance is planning to hold a Constitutional Carry gun rally at City Park next week.
The ISAA is promoting legislation that would legalize carrying a concealed weapon without having to obtain a permit. Greg Pruett, who organized the rally for ISAA, said the organization is circulating a petition to garner thousands of signatures, and plans to present it to lawmakers when the next legislative session begins in January 2016.

The alliance is holding five rallies across Idaho this fall, commencing in Coeur d’Alene on Oct. 3 in the band shell at City Park starting at 5 p.m.

Old 09-24-2015, 10:19 AM

318 posts, read 433,437 times
Default Drought News

Idaho News-image.jpg

Old 09-25-2015, 03:06 PM

Here is an update. People in Boise and Idaho are generous!:

GoFundMe account raises over $50,000 in one day for child hit by minivan - www.kivitv.com

Maximo Wyatt is still fighting for his life at a hospital in Salt Lake City, Utah after being hit by a minivan and dragged 40 feet on September 23rd.

Old 09-25-2015, 05:50 PM

356 posts, read 517,777 times
Hunter with broken leg in Idaho wilderness crawls for days until rescue

Yikes. What a very blessed man he is. To all of our hunters and back country enthusiasts: Be safe out there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho