Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 08:00 PM

171 posts, read 670,925 times

Advertisements

Hey,

I'm researching colleges I may want to attend and I like both UI and ISU and was wondering if some of you can shed some light on the schools and the towns they are in? What kind of reputation does the school have? Any crime in the town? Can I get around town without a car? Anything else I should know?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 08:20 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,881,340 times
Moscow is very low crime, and easy to get around without a car. As to reputation of the school, I imagine that depends on what you are going to study.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:12 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,891,800 times
With those two on the short list it should be an easy choice. I really don't think they could be more different. Different school atmosphere, different type cities. Well they're both really cold in the winter.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:17 PM

Well, there are others on the list but only those 2 in Idaho and if its an easy choice, what would you pick? Why are the cities different and what are the atmospheres like?

Old 06-02-2011, 10:24 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,677,865 times
Cities: Pocatello vs. Moscow...Pocatello is somewhat larger, and probably less influenced by the University than Moscow. Moscow is more liberal, Pocatello more LDS-influenced, but certainly not overwhelming. Crime is rather insignifcant in both cities. Weather is a toss-up, with perhaps colder winters in Pocatello. Both cities are within a couple of hours of larger cities, Moscow to Spokane, and Pocatello to Salt Lake.

Universities: U of I has a better reputation in 2011. ISU has had some significant administration issues in recent years. I will not detail them, but you can do your own research.

Old 06-03-2011, 12:11 AM

17 posts, read 32,125 times
I currently attend U of I and I love it. I also dont have a car and I do fine. I live on campus so walking to Winco isnt that far. Moscow has the small town feel and I have never felt unsafe walking aroud at night. Im from out of state and the people are so nice. Crime rate is low, its beautiful and U of I is a pretty good school. I have loved all my classes and teachers. The classes are relatively small and the professors are nice and helpful.

I dont know where you are from but it does get cold in the winter. It was -11 with no wind chill this winter. so that might be a change. but the campus has heated sidewalks so the snow melts and its pretty easy to get around campus even with all the snow.

Feel free to message me if you have any other questions. I love Moscow and U of I and would be happy to answer any questions

Old 06-03-2011, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASH89 View Post
I currently attend U of I and I love it. I also dont have a car and I do fine. I live on campus so walking to Winco isnt that far. Moscow has the small town feel and I have never felt unsafe walking aroud at night. Im from out of state and the people are so nice. Crime rate is low, its beautiful and U of I is a pretty good school. I have loved all my classes and teachers. The classes are relatively small and the professors are nice and helpful.

I dont know where you are from but it does get cold in the winter. It was -11 with no wind chill this winter. so that might be a change. but the campus has heated sidewalks so the snow melts and its pretty easy to get around campus even with all the snow.

Feel free to message me if you have any other questions. I love Moscow and U of I and would be happy to answer any questions
Nice man, you got AIM or Skype or anything? I'd love to talk to you, and I'm from California.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:54 AM

674 posts, read 1,460,300 times
If you're talking Idaho v. ISU, and you're not interested in health related studies, I'd go with Idaho for sure. Pocatello is not my favorite place.

Make sure you understand just how isolated Moscow is, though. It's a beautiful location for sure, and there is enough to do in the area with Pullman and Moscow (especially if you like outdoors stuff), but these are both small, small towns and you're not close to a big city or town. Some people handle that just fine; others do not.

As far the schools go, Idaho is a better school *generally* than ISU.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:10 AM

2,223 posts, read 3,881,340 times
Not entirely accurate, Hp1167. Spokane is an EASY (no traffic, good road) 90 minute drive away. I've been known to go up there for an afternoon of fun.

So, yes, isolated if that means you can get to a city in just a few minutes. Not isolated if having a city be an easy day trip is what you desire.

Old 06-03-2011, 11:30 AM

674 posts, read 1,460,300 times
Well, you've made that drive more than me but the few times I did it didn't feel easy.

The point is... Spokane and CdA are about 90 minutes or so away. That's all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho