Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 03:43 PM

23 posts, read 104,755 times

Advertisements

Thanks, everyone! I appreciate all the encouragement given about our move to NW Idaho. But..I understand, also, why some of you feel you should inform me of the negative aspects of moving to the area. Believe me, we had many friends and family who had many warnings about our move to Hawaii 11 years ago and we have never been sorry we went ahead with our plans to live here. It was a wonderful experience, as I am sure living in the CDA area will be, too.
I will check out the Hauser and Newman Lake areas, ejay. Thanks!
esselcue, I like a positive person! I also think we will do fine once we get to the area and get a chance to look around. If we do have to end up living in one of the larger cities, we can handle it. Even if I do say so, myself, we are pretty friendly and find it easy to get along with most people.
I have done some research online and all I want to tell all of you NW Idahoans is--
You live in an absolutely gorgeous section of the US!!!
Looking forward to moving,
~elise~

Mahalo Nui Loa....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2008, 12:11 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,288,574 times
Property Taxes in CDA (in honor of assessments being mailed):

In Kootenai County, the homeowner's exemption is now >$100K. That means that for a house assessed at $250K, a 1.67% tax rate becomes effectively 1.00%. Not great (inlaws in Mass pay 0.6% or so), but not bad, esp for the Western US. $250K represents an upper middle class home in CDA. $2500/year.

What cracks me up is that all these housing comparisons on where housing is over/undervalued never take into account property taxes & other real world expenditures of homeownership or landlordship. In both areas, I am very pleased. The papers always remark on the "undervalued" real estate in Texas. But property tax there is north of 4% (me thinks) and the land is flat (therefore, massive sprawl and literally unlimited boundaries a la Sacramento and many parts of NV and AZ). "Undervalued" is code for lower expected ROI.

I tell you right now, buying foreclosed CDA real estate in decent areas can land you a very solid deal. I hope good folks can take advantage of the credit woes and housing meltdown to secure a nice retirement abode. I almost wish I did not invest when I did...almost...I am still happy as a clam even if my assessments did drop down an average of 7% (lower taxes anyway!). Were the cash flow from work a little better, we would be very interested in buying another property (although the tick up in the rates moderates the enthusiasm).

Old 06-16-2009, 11:33 AM

1 posts, read 4,010 times
i am looking to move up to the CDA area, but I am nervous about one thing....The Racism. I have heard things that scare the freak out of me. Is it really that bad? Are minorities REALLY treated cruelly? My son is half black and I do not want to move him to a place that is going to make life hard for him.

Old 06-16-2009, 02:31 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,840,763 times
What you've heard is either ignorant statements or facts from 20 years ago. Your son will have no problem here. Yes, if he's "dark black" he'll stand out more than if he's lighter, but lack of racial diversity doesn't mean racial intolerance. DOES the area have some racists? Yes. But after moving here a few years ago from SoCal I can tell you the racism problem was 10x worse in SoCal than it is here. Up here nobody cares unless someone starts acting like an inner city gangster (which of course isn't likely for an average kid), at which time the social ostracism comes into play because it's too far outside the norm. It's not about race...more about cultural homogeny.

Last edited by Sage of Sagle; 06-17-2009 at 01:25 AM..

Old 10-12-2009, 10:21 AM

3 posts, read 8,996 times
Truth, no matter where you go. If you "fit in" that does not mean you need to look the same but act the same is better received and respected. Like using the spelling checker, your words may be different but if you are spelling things right you are better accepted.

Old 10-12-2009, 10:22 AM

3 posts, read 8,996 times
Well...we are waiting!??! How did your move and adjustment go??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho