Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 05:12 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,742,442 times

Advertisements

I agree Roosevelt. I'd go back to 120 degrees in Phoenix with no humidity than back to jungle steam again. Luckily, we've found paradise, even if I do gripe about long winters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 07:37 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,837,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over_the_Rainbow View Post
I always wondered if it were anecdotal, too, until a couple of years ago, when I got to experience dry, very cold air! I live just W. of Seattle, so when we had about 2 weeks or so of temps that got all the way down to zero (I think it broke the record), it was also extremely dry. And I wasn't cold in the house, like I usually am all winter, even with the pellet stove---and outside, with just a semi-heavy coat and cheap knit gloves, no hat, thick socks or long underwear---I wasn't too cold. I mean yes, I felt the cold---it felt very cold---but it didn't bother me. In fact, I found it almost refreshing. Now if I'd have had all those nice cold-weather clothes and jacket, I'm sure I would have been downright comfortable.
In North Idaho, humidity means more moderate temps. When we have a clear winter day, you know that night will be bitter cold...-5...-10...-15. The cloud cover and related rise in humidity means the night temps will probably be around 8-15 degrees. At least that's my own experience. the air blowing off Lake Pend Oreille FEELS cold because it cuts through you, but the drier air is colder...and if the wind picks up, that's really cold.

My daughters were skiing at Schweitzer one day last February where it was clear and cold and windy...even with the sun up it was -25 with wind chill...they were fully covered with no skin exposed, wearing wicking drymax stuff, and only went out for 30-45 minute intervals between coming into the lodge to warm up. They thought it was great fun...and the powder was darn near like Park City UT...I stayed in the lodge and worked from my laptop...

Old 07-13-2011, 05:21 PM

25 posts, read 109,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage of Sagle View Post
In North Idaho, humidity means more moderate temps. When we have a clear winter day, you know that night will be bitter cold...-5...-10...-15. The cloud cover and related rise in humidity means the night temps will probably be around 8-15 degrees. At least that's my own experience. the air blowing off Lake Pend Oreille FEELS cold because it cuts through you, but the drier air is colder...and if the wind picks up, that's really cold.
Ah, now freezing wind is something I hadn't thought about. The times when I've experienced a crisp dry cold, there was no wind at all. Thanks for reminding me of the wind-chill factor!

Old 07-13-2011, 07:10 PM

Just to note, we don't get wind like the great lakes area. NOTHING like that...

But when it does get windy, being on top of Schweitzer or around the edges of the lake gets the brunt of it IMO.

Old 05-14-2012, 06:39 AM

5 posts, read 10,834 times
If you don't like humidity, never ever move to South Georgia or Florida. During the summers, temperatures are usually about 80 degrees at 7:00AM. When you walk out to go to work, it feels like someone has thrown a hot, wet blanket on you, then aimed numerous hand-held hair driers on you. Five minutes after you walk out of the house, you need another shower because your clothes are sticking to you. It's hard to breathe, walk, bike, or have any activities outdoors from early June until October. I hate it down here. My dream at the end of this year is to retire and move out West. I'm researching Idaho and Colorado as possible "nests". Has anyone out there found a great place to retire?

Old 05-14-2012, 11:07 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,663,701 times
I offered a response last year, but oppressive humidity in NID? No. Pure and simple. No.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:56 AM

414 posts, read 1,094,898 times
Yeah, North Idaho has a good humidity for me. Our summer heat doesn't get that boggy, oppressive feel. Southern Idaho heats up a bit more, but it's a very dry heat down there, so you don't feel it quite as much.

Old 05-15-2012, 11:39 AM

10 posts, read 35,293 times
Funny, I was just talking about the same thing yesterday. We moved to Coeur D'alene from the Portland area last March. I also hate humidity and so far I love it here! Yesterday it was 82 degrees and 13% humidity which is perfect. Less humidity and my throat/eyes/skin just gets too dry. Last September, we went back to Portland for a few days and at that point, we could really tell the difference.

Old 05-15-2012, 02:38 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,742,442 times
I've never been anywhere in the west that has real humidity on the order of anyplace east of the Rockies or the Mississippi. Portland and Seattle are more misty than jungle steamy.

Old 05-15-2012, 03:28 PM

I remember getting off a plane in Houston one June after a tropical storm...yeah....never EVER gets like that out west...just no comparison...the farthest west I've felt that humidity is the eastern Colorado plains near the NE border...and even that wasn't as bad as Houston...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho