Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 04:35 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,774,262 times

Advertisements

I spent some time in the Selway-Bitterroot wilderness a few years ago and was really impressed. Since then, I have found myself recalling and thinking about it quite often. I find it fascinating that there is an almost unknown, vast mountain wilderness in the continental U.S. that is as rugged and untouched today as it was 200 years ago.

I was wondering if some of you locals who have spent time in that wilderness can share your stories and photos here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 09:19 AM
CTC

668 posts, read 1,465,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
I spent some time in the Selway-Bitterroot wilderness a few years ago and was really impressed. Since then, I have found myself recalling and thinking about it quite often. I find it fascinating that there is an almost unknown, vast mountain wilderness in the continental U.S. that is as rugged and untouched today as it was 200 years ago.

I was wondering if some of you locals who have spent time in that wilderness can share your stories and photos here?
I used to do a lot of hiking and camping there. The Selway Crags off Fog Mountain Saddle were pretty remote and one of my favorite areas. One of the best fishing lakes (Florence) I have ever fished, but no trail. Some bushwacking to get in and a 1/2 mile long talus field down to the lake.

One time in the Crags we hiked 7 days in a row and only saw one other party.
To me the Selway-Bitteroot is all about being remote and wild. There are many more 'scenic" areas in the West, but not many places more remote.

Alas, many of the trails which are listed on the maps are no longer maintained and are pretty much un hikable-the game trails are in better shape and it can be pretty easy to get lost or off track. Lots of brush.

I saw a wolf back there in the early '90's- well before the present day wolf recovery. The fact that the Selway-Bitteroot hooks up with the Frank Church (separated by the Magruder Corridor) is pretty impressive-we are talking about 4 million acres or so.

There are places back there which are seldom if ever visited. Much of the historic trails were built to supply the no longer needed fire look outs. I have no doubt that there are fewer visitors in much of the area now than say 80 years ago.I don't have any digital photos or I would post some.

I really had some grand adventures there over a 20 year period when I was living in Pullman, WA. It was great planning trips and pouring over the maps looking for the most remote places. BTW, the Montana side of the Bitterooots are much more accessible than the Idaho side.

Old 08-08-2011, 10:36 AM

That's awesome. I had a similar experience with an isolated fishing lake in Colorado years ago. Those lakes are great, a complete lack of fishing pressure means it's so easy to catch lots of good fish.

I imagine the Forest service lets lightning strikes in the interior of the wilderness just burn themselves out?

Old 08-08-2011, 09:48 PM

39,856 posts, read 26,482,831 times
We did an ATV trip across the Magruder Corridor last summer. It's a road between the Selway-Bitterroot and the Frank Church wilderness areas. This is from Burnt Knob lookout. There is some sectacular coutry, but massive amounts have burned.
Attached Thumbnails
Selway-Bitterroot-north-idaho-rides-163-medium-.jpg  

Old 08-09-2011, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
We did an ATV trip across the Magruder Corridor last summer. It's a road between the Selway-Bitterroot and the Frank Church wilderness areas. This is from Burnt Knob lookout. There is some sectacular coutry, but massive amounts have burned.
I wonder if those lakes have fish?

Old 08-09-2011, 10:00 AM

39,856 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Quote:
Given where they were located, I wasn't going to hike down and find out. The picture is deceptive, it's probably a 1000 ft drop off that rock outcropping down to where the lakes are, and I have a great deal of respect for gravity.

A buddy did good fishing the Selway river though.

Old 08-18-2011, 07:57 PM

i was hoping more people would chime in on this thread. Anyone else care to share their backcountry Selway-Bitterroot or RONR adventures?

Old 08-19-2011, 10:18 AM

291 posts, read 669,461 times
I think they're trying to keep it a secret, shh.
That's an awesome picture toyman.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:20 AM
CTC

668 posts, read 1,465,985 times
Quote:
Not sure about those lakes but Rattle Snake Lake had awesome fishing 10 years ago or so-others did too, but I forgot their names. We used to hike in from Burnt Knob every year. Yes a 1000 ft drop was pretty normal, but the ridge heading south toward the Salmon from burnt knob was easy hiking-then one could drop down to a lake of choice.

Very remote-I do not recall ever seeing another hiker, and we always had the lakes to ourselves. I did see a mountain bike once illegally biking within the wilderness boundary.

Tons of moose down in the drainages as well=we set up camp at one of the lakes and had moose walking through our camp-they never bothered us but it made us pretty nervous, so we moved camp!!.

Last edited by CTC; 08-22-2011 at 09:33 AM.. Reason: not Rattle Snake lake

Old 08-22-2011, 07:32 PM

CTC - that's awesome. I love the idea of camping out and fishing in a pristine wilderness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho