Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 08:39 AM

4 posts, read 15,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinprism View Post
DieselOttIndigo
It sucks that people still feel this way and these type of situations still exist. I'm sorry that you feel you have to leave the place they live to get away from some insensitive imbeciles (heavily censored). I'm afraid there is racism and other meaningless hate everywhere, but I hope to help make strong communities where hate isn't tolerated.

That's one thing I really like about Pocatello, hate of various kinds including racism exists here, but for the most part the community is great about standing up and publicly opposing it. This group is one example.

2great2hate
https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=115615731798061 (broken link)
Listen, I agree with the concept of no hate. I choose to go with "fear" or simply "dislike" because I thin it's more appropriate and less demonizing. Like Calexa, I moved out of a black community in part because of the crime. When you look at the rates of black-on-black and black-on-white crime, I understand why we as black people would be looked at as scary. A white man is far more likely to be a victim of violent crime from a black man than a black man is to be victim of a crime of a white man. The statistics tell the tale. That creates fear. Some of it justified. Some not.

That fear others had got to be too much for me and my family. People, I keep it real. This isn't some horrible evil done to me. My house wasn't broken into like it was in Camden. I wasn't mugged like I was elsewhere. I'm just looking for somewhere I can live in peace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 10:08 AM

210 posts, read 947,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselOttIndigo View Post
Listen, I agree with the concept of no hate. I choose to go with "fear" or simply "dislike" because I thin it's more appropriate and less demonizing. Like Calexa, I moved out of a black community in part because of the crime. When you look at the rates of black-on-black and black-on-white crime, I understand why we as black people would be looked at as scary. A white man is far more likely to be a victim of violent crime from a black man than a black man is to be victim of a crime of a white man. The statistics tell the tale. That creates fear. Some of it justified. Some not.

That fear others had got to be too much for me and my family. People, I keep it real. This isn't some horrible evil done to me. My house wasn't broken into like it was in Camden. I wasn't mugged like I was elsewhere. I'm just looking for somewhere I can live in peace.
Well said.. and way to keep it real.. I agree no hate or fear (much better word) is a pipe dream. I just think it sucks you feel like you have to move because of some bad apples..

Old 08-25-2011, 02:19 PM

4 posts, read 7,349 times
Quote:

Thats all I am looking for somewhere I can live and raise my sons in peace. So hard to find.

Last edited by calexa02; 08-25-2011 at 02:20 PM.. Reason: wrong wording

Old 08-28-2011, 02:59 AM

181 posts, read 435,699 times
If you look at the leading cause of crime against Blacks its from other blacks, so Idaho with its low black population should be far safer than almost any other state you could move to.

I'm white but can take a wild guess that most folks who live in Idaho wont even blink when they see you unless you make a point of sticking out yourself.

I would say go for it and move there, but remember that when you move someplace its your job to fit in not your neighbors job to accept seriously whacky or truly strange life choices.

If you run around screaming black power you will get a negative reaction just like if I ran around screaming white power. So move to Idaho and love it, and love your neighbors, they in turn will love you.

Old 08-28-2011, 03:09 AM

80 posts, read 108,574 times
Quote:
I haved PMed the poster on this thread and would not like to fully discuss my situation given the small number of black families in the town where I live, but my experience has not mirrored the sentiments on this thread.

I am in the process of taking my family out of Northern Idaho specifically because the name-calling and the like has begun to affect my kids and I just don't feel as if we will ever be accepted, not that we ever tried to stand out. We didn't get this kind of treatment even living in deep south in South Carolina.

I am posting this simply so that others can know a bit about my situation. I, as black man with a black family, would never live in Idaho again. I will happily leave in the coming months.

The simple truth of the matter is that many folks move to Idaho to get away from blacks and Hispanics. I guess I can see why that might be the case, but it doesn't make it hospitable to live here as one.
THat just flat out sucks. I know that I've seen racism in folks a great deal. A person I work with was arrested for a sign he put on his truck about African Americans. I really hate my species sometimes but wanted the original poster to know that if you moved to Bonner county, a very very nice area, I'd personally be your friend! I hope you make it here. Lots of very liberal minded folks here to offset the idiot biggots.

Old 08-28-2011, 03:17 AM

181 posts, read 435,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodoovalley View Post
THat just flat out sucks. I know that I've seen racism in folks a great deal. A person I work with was arrested for a sign he put on his truck about African Americans. I really hate my species sometimes but wanted the original poster to know that if you moved to Bonner county, a very very nice area, I'd personally be your friend! I hope you make it here. Lots of very liberal minded folks here to offset the idiot biggots.

How is someone arrested for freedom of speech? I might not agree with a sign but you are free to put whatever you want on your car or truck.

He might have been arrested for something else but if he were arrested for a sign I would suggest he get a good lawyer and sue, he would win a huge award for denial of a basic right.

Here in So cal I see bumper sticks that call President Bush a Nazi...should they be arrested, of course not but they look like idiots and that's all I need to know.

Your basic rights are more important than anyone's "feelings".

Old 08-28-2011, 04:27 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,839,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodoovalley View Post
Lots of very liberal minded folks here to offset the idiot biggots.
I don't think it's a liberal/conservative issue. The areas I worked as a cop in SoCal were as left-of-center as you could ask for...with some of the worst racism I've ever seen and the highest degree of social ills despite huge government spending and intervention by "liberal minded folks".

I'm not trying to start a political debate over your choice of terms, but I do take exception at any implication that it's "liberal minded" people who will be accepting of other races more than the 70%-plus of North Idaho who are conservative politically.

There are racist bigots, and then there are the rest of us, who may be of either political leaning.

GOOD PEOPLE will offset the idiot bigots. Period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho