Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 04:34 AM

767 posts, read 1,743,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_GarGars View Post
... from another state (especially Southern California). But, not all of us are that lucky. We can't help that we were born where we were; we just want to live out the rest of our years someplace nice and not where the population of a county is reaching almost 3 million people (Los Angeles is almost at 10 million!).

Sorry, I don't mean for that too come out all sob-story and I'm not looking for pity or anything, I'm just trying to explain our main reason for wanting to leave California.
Actually, you are looking for pity and you are pleaing to these people. Why? They are predisposed to resent you because you will do exactly what they resent: cause change where they live.

If you are from CA, you will carry a stigma no matter what. Accept it, and go where you want. Stop cowering at the thought of not being accepted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boisefan88 View Post
The point about staying and fixing your home resonates with me. If Idaho becomes a craphole in 20 years, should we all leave and invade Canada, or North Dakota, or should we stay and try to make Idaho better?
The idea of "fixing your home" resonates with you [MOD CUT]. What exactly constitutes a "fix" in your mind? Do you really think the OP can "fix" a state dominated by special interest groups and with a population of millions who have little in common and want different things?

You can stop being silly-hearted and think realistically, if you actually try to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hp1167 View Post
With regard to point #2:

It's not a "look down" on people from California - although some rural areas still associate California with everything bad/wrong with the world, so there can be that immediate prejudice. It's more that as a place becomes more and more populated, it necessarily becomes more and more regulated, polluted, congested, expensive, dangerous, tense, aggressive, exclusive, and a host of other things. Very rarely does a place increase in population and end up better because of it in the long run.

Too bad.

It's nothing against Californians or anyone else moving into Idaho - it's about the growth period. I think local Idahoans get frustrated and wonder why people moving away instead of trying to fix their homes... because we know that Idaho is our home and we're going to die here trying to fix it rather than to move somewhere else like a parasite (not calling you this, by the way).
There's that "fix your home" nonsense again. [MOD CUT]

Last edited by Sage of Sagle; 10-20-2011 at 11:54 PM.. Reason: Attack ideas, not people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 07:26 AM

3,260 posts, read 6,761,220 times
Perhaps I'm just different than most folks, but I know ONE thing. I have NEVER liked being that close to other people. I have ALWAYS craved space, green streams, lakes etc. Never liked the city life even though I grew up in it. I came alive when I got OUT of the city and into the country. My blood pressure lowers and I get a sense of peace not found in the congested populations. One reason I had a job traveling for a living on the road for a decade and liked it well. I covered 17 States from Ohio to the West Coast. Places I enjoyed most was Northern Michigan, Wisconsin, Colorado, Washington, Oregon, Northern CA. for the most part, and always the least populated areas as I traveled. Fortunately for me I was also a serious photographer so it gave me lots of shooting opportunities. Alas now I'm in an office and can only ponder those bygone days. My once a year vacation is my prize now, although this last year I had to forgo it to save for a IRS bill having cashed out all my 401K and stocks to pay for medical bills from some surgery I had to have last winter. Ain't our government great!! NOT........

Old 10-20-2011, 05:00 PM

48 posts, read 177,516 times
Banjo....

Since you mentioned automobiles, I thought I'd ask....what's the "norm" in terms of owning a vehicle? I mean, out here, it's like everyone in a household must own a car (even kids who barely turned 16 and have no jobs to drive to). Even though they push for people to use public transportation, the roads are still congested and whatnot.

It seems like a silly question (even when I was thinking it), but I'm honestly curious about that. Are there still places where a family of two can get by with one vehicle or has that become a myth now?

Old 10-20-2011, 05:09 PM

48 posts, read 177,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjnative View Post
Actually, you are looking for pity and you are pleaing to these people. Why? They are predisposed to resent you because you will do exactly what they resent: cause change where they live.

If you are from CA, you will carry a stigma no matter what. Accept it, and go where you want. Stop cowering at the thought of not being accepted.
Meh. You're right...I reread my post and it's all whiny and whatnot; even though I didn't mean for it to come off that bad. I guess at the time, I just wanted understanding for our reasons of moving. The husband says I care too much about what others think. I can't help it...I've always been that way. Maybe because I'm female?

Whatever the reason, I did want those who do live in Idaho to understand the reasons behind my inquiring about their state. I had hoped that I would recieve more detailed responses that way.

Old 10-20-2011, 11:03 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,123,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay View Post
.............................. No matter how well you take care of a place there are always those who are just there to take and not care about what they are taking away from others.......Oh so very true:......We moved (my family & I) into a home in the mountains west of Boulder, CO in 1965..(moved from the "boonies" of far northern Illinois because of the many "negative effects" being about 100 miles from Chicago). In my early 30s, I thought "I'll never leave this CO location".....Well, it only took about 5 years to see the "transformation" occurring: Liter everywhere up in the foothills, in Boulder Creek etc; tresspassing on private property;... domestic dogs let out to run (harass & kill various wildlife) from 7am till 5pm; etc,etc. It got so bad....we moved in 1980 to MT.>>>>Yeah, you guessed it......samething has (and still is) happening here in the valley I live in (12 miles out of the county seat) in Western Montana.

As a general statement:....when the majority of transplants come from the east coast and the west coast (and have never lived in a rural enviroment).....they retain many of the habits and daily acts of living that are so common place where they came frm"" (and are totally un-acceptable) in rural and semi-rural areas in states like ID, MT & WY.........And then they wonder why so many of the "locals and Long_time-residents"...HATE their Guts!! Some consideration and "do like the locals do", would go a long way in reducing the friction between the "newbies and the "ole Timers.........Just utilization of good-old-fashion-common sense and basic courtsey would be a good place to start. I've been here now almost 33 years (same location), and the people attitudes haven;t change much. And now we have the "Wolf situation do deal with". Obviously thats a whole nother "can-of-worms".
.................................................. .............."My 45 acp keep those that wanted to beat me for telling them to pick up there mess at bay. ...........

Yes, I, too, "Open-Carry" a semi auto pistol when ever I am outside my home. >> As we both know:....it is leagal in both ID & MT to "open-carry" The presense of that stainless handgun on my hip and the AR-15 in the gun rack in the rear window of the P.U. have been very persuavive in getting many a selfish, non-careing excuse for a hunter....to get off my 14 acres, pick up their trash & don't "try my patience"!.

SADSad,...very sad, that it has come to this state of affairs. Being in my 80th year,....I have worked too hard and observed for too long the results of this type of person..

SUMMARY:....What happened and ruined Colorado from 1965 up through our present day....is exactly what started to occur here in western MT in about 1982. I could see it just as clear as the sky. and I'm sure it;s happening over in ID & down in WY. All we can do, is do our best to try and slow-down the influx of people of this "ilk".

Old 10-20-2011, 11:57 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,840,763 times
Quote:
Meh. You're right...I reread my post and it's all whiny and whatnot; even though I didn't mean for it to come off that bad. I guess at the time, I just wanted understanding for our reasons of moving. The husband says I care too much about what others think. I can't help it...I've always been that way. Maybe because I'm female?

Whatever the reason, I did want those who do live in Idaho to understand the reasons behind my inquiring about their state. I had hoped that I would recieve more detailed responses that way.
Being a former SoCal native who left and came to Idaho, I didn't find your post as whiny as some. I know of what you speak, and it's a huge frustration.

Old 10-21-2011, 09:38 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,499,383 times
It seems like a silly question (even when I was thinking it), but I'm honestly curious about that. Are there still places where a family of two can get by with one vehicle or has that become a myth now?

The_ GarGars...my wife and I always operate with just one vehicle. We live in Kellogg, ID, it's in the panhandle (north) region of Idaho. We are fine unless we need to go over Lookout Pass (eastern-more pass) into Montana in an emergency, or, over to Coeur d' Alene or Spokane (4th of July Pass, western-more pass) in an emergency and it's snowing hard. That can be tough because I-90 can be really treacherous at those times.

Not that big of a deal, though. One can just sit and rest until the sand-trucks cover the area (they're pretty good about covering I-90 during snowstorms...it's the main east-west thoroughway through northern Idaho so it's really, really important for the trucks traveling through that it be kept open and navigatable) and things will be OK.

Not a huge concern, just something I thought I should tell you about because the area does get snowy. Where are you thinking about going to? Coeur d' Alene? Boise? Idaho Falls? Pocatello?

Sandpoint?

Old 10-21-2011, 09:09 PM

22 posts, read 42,326 times
Quote:
We can't help that we were born where we were; we just want to live out the rest of our years someplace nice and not where the population of a county is reaching almost 3 million people (Los Angeles is almost at 10 million!).

Sorry, I don't mean for that too come out all sob-story and I'm not looking for pity or anything, I'm just trying to explain our main reason for wanting to leave California.
I dont see it as a sob story.. you are just stating the facts of your life. I am not one to sob, but I had to live in South Dallas for 15 years before we moved to Salt Lake City, (a huge improvement) and then to Idaho.

If one is not accustom to crime and trash you will do all you can to get away from it. Salt Lake was like a dream come true. I felt like there was some safety in my young boys becoming young men there without getting shot in the head. and I am being 100% serious here.

As I said before. upon retirement we could not afford to relocate to my husband home land in the Redmond/Bend area... and I really had no roots to return to.. so Idaho fit our bill for seclusion and great out of doors and still being close enough Salt Lake that the kids can visit without too much trouble.

I will say this though... there is crime here. And crime frequently goes unpunished because the police force of only 2 men are under the treat of intimidation by long time old families in the area... this is still the wild west. Old time families rule by force and intimidation... I was so surprised to find this... I didn't expect it at all and locals are afraid to speak out against it.

Mostly we ignore it. But when the kids come I thank god each time that they do not decide to go to the local bar. There are extreme racists here who will beat the living crap out of you for your nationality or your color and god only knows what else. my son's girlfriend is not white.. so that could cause problems and they have a rather large group of interracial friends from oriental to black to Indian and they have all been up here to visit.. The bigotry here is a terrible shame. So far I have not had to warn them... but if they decide to go out to the bar I will have to tell the story and give the warning. Last Mexican (who wasn't even a Mexican but looked it) to go to the bar got his head bashed in with a baseball bat.

it never went to court... the prosecutor we believe was paid off... but I cant say for sure... the last person beat up at the same bar died on the pavement in front... an old man who owed the bar.. and beloved in the community... and again no indictment, no court, nothing, yet whitnessed by many.... and it is suspected that it was the same guy in both cases. After the incident they go back in the bar and threaten everyone's lives if they talk.. so all remain silent, even though there were many whitnesses.

and this is just one of many stories...

So this Idaho is truely the wild west in some areas..

If you are not into bigotry make sure your community feels the same and that they supports their police and an honorable justice system and that the civil organizations do not live in fear.

This has been my greatest disappointment in moving here. Thought I could move away from Dallas trash only to find myself living in the midst of Idaho trash and all the fear and resentment and distrust it brings with it. The good people here just don't know what to do.

Old 10-21-2011, 11:37 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,123,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovin Idaho View Post
I dont see it as a sob story.. you are just stating the facts of your life. I am not one to sob, but I had to live in South Dallas for 15 years before we moved to Salt Lake City, (a huge improvement) and then to Idaho.

If one is not accustom to crime and trash you will do all you can to get away from it. Salt Lake was like a dream come true. I felt like there was some safety in my young boys becoming young men there without getting shot in the head. and I am being 100% serious here.

As I said before. upon retirement we could not afford to relocate to my husband home land in the Redmond/Bend area... and I really had no roots to return to.. so Idaho fit our bill for seclusion and great out of doors and still being close enough Salt Lake that the kids can visit without too much trouble.

I will say this though... there is crime here. And crime frequently goes unpunished because the police force of only 2 men are under the treat of intimidation by long time old families in the area... this is still the wild west. Old time families rule by force and intimidation... I was so surprised to find this... I didn't expect it at all and locals are afraid to speak out against it.

Mostly we ignore it. But when the kids come I thank god each time that they do not decide to go to the local bar. There are extreme racists here who will beat the living crap out of you for your nationality or your color and god only knows what else. my son's girlfriend is not white.. so that could cause problems and they have a rather large group of interracial friends from oriental to black to Indian and they have all been up here to visit.. The bigotry here is a terrible shame. So far I have not had to warn them... but if they decide to go out to the bar I will have to tell the story and give the warning. Last Mexican (who wasn't even a Mexican but looked it) to go to the bar got his head bashed in with a baseball bat.

it never went to court... the prosecutor we believe was paid off... but I cant say for sure... the last person beat up at the same bar died on the pavement in front... an old man who owed the bar.. and beloved in the community... and again no indictment, no court, nothing, yet whitnessed by many.... and it is suspected that it was the same guy in both cases. After the incident they go back in the bar and threaten everyone's lives if they talk.. so all remain silent, even though there were many whitnesses.

and this is just one of many stories...

So this Idaho is truely the wild west in some areas..

If you are not into bigotry make sure your community feels the same and that they supports their police and an honorable justice system and that the civil organizations do not live in fear.

This has been my greatest disappointment in moving here. Thought I could move away from Dallas trash only to find myself living in the midst of Idaho trash and all the fear and resentment and distrust it brings with it. The good people here just don't know what to do.
There are many areas in several western states (and for that matter) in the S/E U.S. and Mid-Alantic states that were settled many, many years ago by folks that now have 3rd and 4th generation family members that continue to live there. These "out-of-the-way", sparsley populated remote towns (and unincorporated areas) do indeed many times have a "unique culture" that is definitely different from more heavily populated areas within the particular state...... (This is why potential "transplants" from out of state should do EXTENSIVE research into ALL aspects of a given area before making a major move into an area they are not familiar with.).... Some of these "long-time residents" see their way-of-life being changed as the result of folks (from out of state) moving in.......Understand please.......this is not a justification for any type of alledged mis-conduct.......it simply is fact! (The Lost River Valley >>and its respective small communities<< is/are a "possible" example.)

I happen to be familiar with the area that I think you are referring to, and find it hard to believe some of the allegations stated in your post. I have lived in some remote (and "one-horse-town) areas "in-the-Wild-West" for approx 50 of my almost 80 years, and have traveled (for almost 55 years) in and through & stayed in many,many very small communities in very remote parts of the western states>>>it was necessary due to my job<<<........"How long have you lived in Idaho?.....and lets see some documentation of your allegations..........."Talk is Cheap"

Old 10-23-2011, 07:42 PM

123 posts, read 263,416 times
Guess what is totally amazing about living in the USA? you can live where you want to...Thats why when I retire from teaching at age 55 in 2 years I am going to live in Idaho. Been there as a youngster with my grandpa camping near Salmon. Been there for an interview a few years back. Just trying to decide where to live between Mccall, Orofino, or the panhandle......I will spend this upcoming entire summer there. Looking for great places to park the camper
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho