Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 12:58 PM

25 posts, read 109,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Most of those people think their meat, poultry and fish was "made" in the supermarket and wrapped itself in plastic.
rofl! How true!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 01:10 PM

25 posts, read 109,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMMan View Post
Buying a side of beef doesn't get you out in the woods and in tune with your inner soul. Hunting, fishing, horseback riding, motorcycle and ATV riding. It's what Idaho is about for most people.
Not to be a flip-flopper, but I agree with both points! We just went in with 3 other families on a locally grown, grass-fed Dexter steer. It was our first time, and while we ended up paying way more than an acquaintance who buys local grass-fed Angus from a different farm (mostly due to the fact that we used the most expensive processor for the cutting and wrapping---oops), it was still cheaper than going into the local butcher shop and buying local grass-fed a piece at a time. And way cheaper than going to the big supermarkets and buying the same cuts of the "regular" stuff. So for non-hunters, or anyone wanting the good stuff for a lot less, I'd say that's the way to go.

Hubby and I are pro-hunting even though we don't hunt---good grief, we can barely stomach gutting fish, let along deer! Blecccch! lol But we do love fishing both fresh and salt water; hiking, and mtn. biking and I also love horseback riding, having grown up with horses. So I definitely understand the "inner soul" thing, too.

Old 10-05-2011, 02:25 PM

17 posts, read 33,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hp1167 View Post
Hunters and conservationists have the same general set of interests... or put another way, their own interests often intertwine and have the same endgame.
What's this?!?!?!? A reasonable point of view? Well put.

Old 10-08-2011, 06:51 PM

291 posts, read 669,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I'll second that. Though I've given up hunting the last 2 years. There isn't enough time, with the ATV/motorcycle riding using up most of my vacation, and work on the property and getting firewood in taking up a bunch more.

BTW, what model KTM do you ride? I'm thinking of giving the orange Kool-aid a try. Also been looking at the Huskys on line, a dealer in Spokane is picking them up.
Sent you a Pm Toyman.

Old 10-11-2011, 06:56 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,160,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cushla View Post
And i thought humans had evolved and were more advanced than animals. I suspect the hunting means having power, and the hunting is the thrill not just for the meat.

Old 10-11-2011, 06:59 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,160,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cushla View Post
And i thought humans had evolved and were more advanced than animals. I suspect the hunting means having power, and the hunting is the thrill not just for the meat.
It also irks me when present day hunters compare themselves to Native Americans who used EVERY SINGLE part of the animal for survival. Plus they THANKED the animal and there was a spiritual connection between the hunter and the animal. Not the same thing as the over zealous hunters excited about killing.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:35 AM

13 posts, read 17,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlonaG View Post
It also irks me when present day hunters compare themselves to Native Americans who used EVERY SINGLE part of the animal for survival. Plus they THANKED the animal and there was a spiritual connection between the hunter and the animal. Not the same thing as the over zealous hunters excited about killing.
Sinew isn't as good as nylon thread.
99.9% of the uses for bone are better filled by polymers.
The average hunter isn't going to harvest enough hides in a year to make setting up a proper tanning process.
Using EVERY!!!SINGLE!!!!PART!!!! of the animal wasn't an ethical/spiritual issue.....it was an efficiency/time management issue. They needed the hide and bones for clothing and tools.....we don't.
Anything left behind today (gut pile, hide, bones) will be "put to use" by nature....in just the same fashion as the remains of any living thing that does in the woods.....by feeding other critters in the woods.

Thanking the animal was/is part of a religious belief system. They hoped that doing so would avoid pissing off the spirit of the animal killed and keep it from screwing up future hunts. Not much different from "Dear God, help me bag a big fat deer today!"

While the level of zeal exhibited by modern hunters will of course vary from one individual to another, it's almost a certainty that American Aborigines ran the same gamut......for some it would have been a simple but rewarding task, for others a way to gain bragging rights back home in camp. People remain people no matter the culture or time.
BTW, without any disrespect to them, but the tribes of people residing in North America at the time Europeans arrived/invaded aren't "Native" to North America. They migrated here and displaced a previous group (which also was not "native"). Their culture was no more or less enlightened than ours, just different. They had the misfortune of being less technologically advanced than the group that wanted their resources. That might make them victims but it doesn't make them spiritually enlightened.

Now, if I wanted to go for a power rush I'd run for office and cram my beliefs down someone else's throat while hiding behind the guise of being more spiritually enlightened and supposedly acting in the best interests of "nature".

Old 10-11-2011, 09:25 AM

7,378 posts, read 12,659,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Gutsy wrangler, huge horse save boy from charging grizzly - Spokesman.com - Sept. 18, 2011

25-year old female horse wrangler on a trail ride saves an 8-year old boy from a charging griz, on her gigantic, brave horse! The girl is okay, the horse is okay, the bear is okay, the boy is okay, and even the deer the bear was chasing is okay! So, something for everybody!
For anyone wanting to change the subject back to griz , here's news for you: The gutsy wrangler gal is scheduled to be on David Letterman tonight. With her horse Tonk!

Quote:
Tuesday, October 11

Matthew Broderick
(Tower Heist)

Erin Bolster and Tonk

Hunter Hayes
(CD, "Hunter Hayes")

Old 10-11-2011, 10:29 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,835,426 times
CFF...thank you for bringing the topic back to well...the topic.

We're not going to discuss the "ethics of hunting" ad nauseum...there are two views, never the twain shall meet, and this discussion is a North Idaho issue.

Old 10-12-2011, 09:49 AM

7,378 posts, read 12,659,218 times
Right on topic , here's a review, and a clip from the Letterman show from last night!

Heroes in grizzly chase featured on Letterman show - Spokesman.com - Oct. 12, 2011
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho