Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2011, 01:58 PM

10 posts, read 47,870 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are in the planning stages of a 2 week trip for next year that will start in Boise. Our first destination after Boise is going to be Glacier National Park, and we are trying to decice which route to travel. The route through Stanley, Challis and Salmon looks great, but the Peaks to Craters Scenic Byway also looks absolutely beautiful. I'm sure we'll be back to see more of Idaho, but on this trip we're under time constraints and we need recommendations on the route we shouldn't miss on the way up to Glacier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2011, 10:31 AM

674 posts, read 1,458,497 times
Stanley - Challis will be a bit more like Glacier/Western Montana: river canyons, majestic peaks, awesome lakes, the Salmon River.

To Craters you go through the Pahsimeroi valley, which has Idaho's highest peaks but it is more high desert (no trees). Once you get close to Craters you'll be in desert - lots of sage, wide open, vast, but questionably pretty (it takes a special appreciation, I think).

Old 09-19-2011, 10:43 AM

115 posts, read 260,432 times
Default time info

Just to let you know it's about 7 hours from Boise to Missoula, via Stanley and Salmon. I don't know how long it takes to go the other way.

Old 09-21-2011, 03:35 AM

Thanks - I was leaning toward the route through Stanley and Challis, and your reply helps.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:55 AM

29,210 posts, read 22,341,507 times
Hi, Rafter Rat...
It's about 3 1/2 hours from Boise to Idaho Falls via the Crater route. I-15 is the fastest route from I.F. to Missoula, and it's about 6 1/2 hours. It can be done in one long day, but if you have the time, I suggest staying the night in Idaho Falls, as the total drive can take 14-16 hours.

The Crater route is a fun drive. The Craters of the Moon is in the middle of a large lava flow that occurred about 3000 years ago, and Hwy. 20 goes right through the middle of it. There are no services for about a 60 miles stretch, so you might want to get some gas, check coolant, etc. in Carey.

From Arco, on the east edge of the Arco desert, it's another 60 miles to I.F., and there are also no services in that stretch.

Depending on your time constraints, taking the route from Salmon to Missoula is another great scenic drive. It's all 2-lane, and you will go over the Lost Trail Pass. The distance is actually shorter than the Interstate, but a slower drive. You can drive a steady 75mph all the way on the Interstate, and the Monida Pass is much easier to navigate. It's not as scenic, but it has a fair amount of cool stuff to drive through. I suggest stopping at Dillon Montana to gas up after filling in Idaho Falls. There is a pretty long stretch between Butte and Dillon where gas stations are scarce.

Old 09-23-2011, 12:35 PM

7,377 posts, read 12,657,494 times
I'd also recommend the Stanley-Salmon-Missoula route--it's spectacular. But if you decide to go I-15, do yourself a favor and stretch your legs in Lima, MT, just because it is such a neat Old West town, with Front Street with ambitious old brick buildings facing the railroad just like in the movies!

About the steady 75mph on I-15--well, that depends! Last year when we traveled that route to get to Clark Fork, ID we were crawling along for about 100 miles, single lane at 35 mph several places on I-15 and I-90. Summer is Interstate road work time! It would have been faster to go up 93.

Old 09-23-2011, 02:19 PM

29,210 posts, read 22,341,507 times
True that, CFF. I forgot about the summer roadwork. And I agree about Lima. About the only change there was they finally got around to paving Main St. Cool old town.

Old 10-01-2011, 04:47 AM

Thanks everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho