Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 10:41 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,444,022 times

Advertisements

Wondering how many horse people are in this area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2007, 11:03 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,266,599 times
There are hoards of equine enthusiasts all throughout the state riding all disciplines. Surprisingly, the English seat is becoming more and more popular, at least in SE Idaho.

Old 08-19-2007, 12:55 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,508,441 times
I have 4 horses and plan on moving to the area ASAP. Does that count?

Old 08-19-2007, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crittersitter View Post
I have 4 horses and plan on moving to the area ASAP. Does that count?
Yes, it counts. LOL Did you already buy a place here?

Old 08-20-2007, 12:47 PM

No, we haven't bought anything there. As soon as my husband can get a consulting job there (hopefully this spring) we will put our house on the market here in VA. We will most likely rent in the area until retirement in the next few years then buy somewhere a little further out. I've noticed some rentals that allow horses in Star, Eagle, Kuna and Mountain Home. Can't wait to move there although I'm not too thrilled about sending my little herd on the 2500 mile trip.

Old 08-21-2007, 04:37 PM

777 posts, read 3,197,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crittersitter View Post
Can't wait to move there although I'm not too thrilled about sending my little herd on the 2500 mile trip.
I understand you need to stop often and walk them around, because they get stressed out. I wonder how often it should be? Every gas stop maybe? Will definitely make for a long trip.

Old 08-21-2007, 05:07 PM

1,573 posts, read 2,924,649 times
My husband and I just made a quick trip to Emmett to pick up some custom cut logs we had ordered. Emmett is pretty and we saw a lot of nice fat slick horses and cows. Looked like lots of pastures and water available for irrigation. The person we bought the logs from told us the worth of his property as quoted to him by a real estate agent and it was very expensive. He did have river front and many acres. And NO he had no plans to sell.

Anyway I thought Emmett was pretty but flatter than we like. Guess we have been living a little more in the mountains too many years. Flatter is good for horses unless you want to develop their legs. And Mules just LOVE to play king of the mountain.

Crittersitter. We traveled with our crew when we moved to Idaho. Took us 25 hours for the trip. We stopped several times to let them just rest for a half hour and once to repair/replace a fuel pump and that took over an hour. We fed them lightly and gave them water. Only took them out once to walk around but would do it more if we ever traveled like that again. They did fine. We had four critters in a 6 horse trailer and one was just a mini mule and one was a smaller mule then the horse and average sized mule.They had lots of room to move around. Even so I stayed up all night with them the night we got to Idaho watching for colic or troubles. All were just fine. Along with the dog cats and birds. My house plants were not too happy but survived and I still have some of them 21 years later.

Too bad we could not set up a network of stopping places for people traveling across country to stop and rest their critters. I know they do it for transporting dogs that need rescue. Just a thought. Maybe some one can figure a way to set something like this up? Would be the neighborly thing to do.

Chris

Old 08-22-2007, 12:49 PM

House plants that survived twenty one years after a trip like that! Wow! You know I used to have a link to a website that showed horse stops along the major highways. I am thinking I may use Allstate Transport. I used them to move from Arkansas to VA several years ago and the horses did fine. I don't remember how often they stop but I know they do a lay up in Colorado for several days if hauling from the East Coast to the West. Where abouts in Idaho do you live, Chris? We would like to be more in the mountains eventually. Sounds like Emmett might be too pricey for us retirement wise as well..

Old 08-22-2007, 01:12 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,116,563 times
Hello "horse people"

I was wondering, with the high rate of infection of west nile in the Boise area, are horses required to be vaccinated for west nile?

Just wondering.
Thanks.
Bye for now.

Old 08-22-2007, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroman View Post
Hello "horse people"

I was wondering, with the high rate of infection of west nile in the Boise area, are horses required to be vaccinated for west nile?

Just wondering.
Thanks.
Bye for now.
No it is not required and there are allot of people that do not vaccinate because the shot cost to much! I personally do vaccinate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho