Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2011, 02:51 PM

12 posts, read 53,055 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking at moving. We are not in a big hurry, but have talked a lot about it. I am from Southern Oregon, Medford area, and he is from Northern California. The real Nor Cal. Some people think Sacramento is northern california, but I'm talking about a town with 500 or less and about 3 hours from Medford. Anyways, we have lived in his hometown of Adin for the last 5 years before moving to Medford last year to look for more opportunities. Unfortunatley, Medford has been hit just like many others by the bad economy. So we are trying to find somewhere were we can raise two young kids (5 & 2) safely, but still make a decent living. My husband as been a firefighter with CAL-Fire for 6 years and I've worked as an EMT. We have been looking online at a few places but dont have our hearts set on anything yet. We want to stay on the west coast. We were looking at Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming. Any ideas as to good places to raise a family? We are used to rural living so that is not an issue for us. But we would also like to be somewhat close to shopping and other stuff. Thank you for your help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 10:39 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,269,946 times
Luckily you're both in professions that can take you anywhere What else might you be looking for? Like how severe are you able to handle winters? Do you want to be in a larger city (50,000+) for shopping or just near one? How important are airports for you?

Old 09-24-2011, 08:45 AM

124 posts, read 276,715 times
When I moved to Boise a year ago this is the way I picked my spot: I sat down with my husband and had a serious talk about what we HAD to have, what we WANTED to have and what we DREAMED of having. We also identified things that were deal breakers, issues that we absolutely would NOT want in a place where we lived. (No nuke plants, stinky factories, or high risk of natural disasters.) We made lists. We considered factors like climate, cost of housing, availability of resources (medical care, good libraries, colleges, transportation, music & arts, shopping, food scene, whatever matters to you). Then we took a mason jar ring that represented a 50 mile circle and started shifting it around on a map until we found a spot that had ALL of our must haves, several of our would like to haves and even a few of our dream come true list.
You may have very different priorities than I had. But I think it is helpful to get very clear on what your priorities are. Then, when you start getting serious about making a move you won't end up someplace that SEEMED nice at the time but ended up not meeting your needs. Also when you are moving with other humans it's good to give EVERYONE a voice in what their preferences are. You may not be able to completely honor every desire - especially when there are contradicting preferences (my husband wants to be close to wilderness and fishing, I want to be close to colleges and medical care). Still, it's important to acknowledge each person's needs and wants. That way if there are compromises to be made you may sacrifice some of your dream come true list to avoid the other person's deal breakers but nobody has to give up what they truly need.

Old 09-24-2011, 11:03 AM

Hi Cleosmom. My husband likes to do outdoor activities(hunting,fishing,camping, etc.) So that would be a big plus for him. I enjoy those things as well, but I'm also a stay at home mom. I wouldn't mind living on the "outskirts" of a big town, or living in a smaller town that is close to a big city. When we lived in Cali we had a gas station, a post office, and a small store in our town. We had to drive 2 hours to do our shopping. So I am used to that We also got quite a bit of snow. Some years more then others of course, and freezing temps. So winters shouldn't be too much of an adjustment for us. I hadn't given much thought to the airports. That was one that slipped my mind Thank you for pointing that out.

Old 09-24-2011, 11:12 AM

Hi Malagagirl. I think that is a great way of helping us in making our decision. Its always nice to have another view on things. We have talked about Boise as a possibility. We have two young children and would like to stay away from gangs, drugs, violence, as much as possible. I know every town has its good and bad. But overall would you say its safe? What is the job market like there? And Cost of living? Sorry for all the questions

Old 09-24-2011, 03:09 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,122,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malagagirl View Post
When I moved to Boise a year ago this is the way I picked my spot: I sat down with my husband and had a serious talk about what we HAD to have, what we WANTED to have and what we DREAMED of having. We also identified things that were deal breakers, issues that we absolutely would NOT want in a place where we lived. (No nuke plants, stinky factories, or high risk of natural disasters.) We made lists. We considered factors like climate, cost of housing, availability of resources (medical care, good libraries, colleges, transportation, music & arts, shopping, food scene, whatever matters to you). Then we took a mason jar ring that represented a 50 mile circle and started shifting it around on a map until we found a spot that had ALL of our must haves, several of our would like to haves and even a few of our dream come true list.
You may have very different priorities than I had. But I think it is helpful to get very clear on what your priorities are. Then, when you start getting serious about making a move you won't end up someplace that SEEMED nice at the time but ended up not meeting your needs. Also when you are moving with other humans it's good to give EVERYONE a voice in what their preferences are. You may not be able to completely honor every desire - especially when there are contradicting preferences (my husband wants to be close to wilderness and fishing, I want to be close to colleges and medical care). Still, it's important to acknowledge each person's needs and wants. That way if there are compromises to be made you may sacrifice some of your dream come true list to avoid the other person's deal breakers but nobody has to give up what they truly need.
.............Hey Malagagirl................

Your approach to arriving at a decision as to "where do I (we) really want to move to", is interesting and certainly reflects the thought processes of an analytical mind and a detail oriented personality. If more people put this much time and effort into the process of moving (moving by choice that is), there would be far less "unhappy" transplants after 12 to 18 months......just my HO.

I do have a few questions tho:

1/ Did you visit ...(and how much time did you spend on these visits)... Boise one or more times before you moved there?
2/ Did you visit during both summer and winter?

3/ So far (I believe you said you've been there about a year), has Boise met your expections and "lived-up" to what your research indicated?

.....NOTE: Please understand, I have "no ax to grind" regarding Boise........I simply am using it as an example as to what goes through different people's minds when they are confronted with the various aspects of making a major move.)..........I personally rate,... "making as many visits as possible" to a "short-listed" city,....I rate this as being extremely important in the early-on decision making process. In general if you don't "like" the city or "dont feel comfortable" with it......(even though it may meet many of your criteria).....I would cross it off the short-list........again, just my HO.

Admittedly, (due to my work history..over 40 years.. of being associated with 6 different companies---in different parts of the western U.S, and having to travel approx 65% of the time.......I had the opportunity to evaluate many, many cities on the basis of:.."Would I want to live here??"......I cannot stress enough:....In my opinion---visit any potential city (or area) before you make a decision.......and visit at least (3) different times of the year!!

I was in Business Developement, Project Management and Industrial Marketing for approx 39 of those years and stayed in "the same Industrial-Field".......thus I got to know literally hundreds of people that (in private conversations)...would devulge that "they really disliked where they lived because they had not been to the city (area) ever before, had not visited the city (or area) and thought THEY COULD ADAPT. Again, these are just my thoughts and opinions resulting from many years of observation and personal contact (and I'm in my 80th year).

Best of luck to those who want to, or have to move.

Old 09-25-2011, 05:00 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,682,450 times
With regard to Boise/Meridian: I don't know if your husband is an urban firefighter or not, but if so there's at least a 2 year wait on firefighters. You can check the websites. My brother has been through the academy and testing but has been waiting for the past two years for applications to open up. He said it will be at least another 2 years so he's really considering looking elsewhere.

Point being, if you are planning at all at Boise I'd really keep on top of that.

Elsewhere in Idaho might not be so bad.

I'm not sure what the market here is like for EMT's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho