U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2011, 02:45 PM

3 posts, read 4,352 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
First time poster but have been on here a lot. Does anyone know anything about any of the theraputic/boarding schools for troubled teenagers in and around north Idaho or northwest Montana. I have seen various job postings for them and would consider applying for some of them. Most of the pictures I have seen have shown immaculate facilities. I cannot find any real information or reviews about them, however. They seem to be pretty secretive and I wonder if that should get some alarm bells going. I work with juvenile delinquents now and know that the secrecy could be about privacy, but wonder if anyone in the communities have had any dealings with them good or bad. I do have a bachelors in education but have not taught in the public school system. Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2011, 03:04 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,370,429 times
Any secrecy is for privacy. I know some people who have worked there or have done service work (music lessons, etc) there and they're quite impressive facilities. One that's several miles east outside Bonners Ferry is fancy like a Hilton hotel...seriously. These are some expensive places.

Old 10-04-2011, 04:33 PM

Thanks Sage. It looks like parents will pay $50-70K per year to send their kids there. I've seen the occassional claim these places scam families for their money or abuse kids. I imagine that is the exception or the disgruntled student, but families keep spending a lot of money on these places. Does anyone know if the students do much work in the communities? Is there a genuine feeling among the locals these schools do good work? I'd love to change up what I do now for doing a lot of activities with kids in the wilderness and the local communities.

Old 10-04-2011, 05:07 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,370,429 times
Local people who work hard to make $40K a year are going to have a dim view of rich people sending their kids to someplace to "fix them". I've seen people I knew (when I lived in SoCal) enable their kids' self-destruction by helping them avoid juvi and winding up calling it a mental health crisis when in fact the kids were just evil little punks. However, my own anecdotal experiences could be far from the norm, and I'm sure there are plenty of kids who are helped by these residency programs. The folks I know who work at those places are good people, but IMO buy too much into the whole thing ("finding" a mental health reason behind every bad behavior).

I know that on Sundays at Schweitzer some of these schools let the kids go ski if they're earning more privileges. I've also seen kids from these places involved in other community programs here and there.

Old 10-04-2011, 05:38 PM

I've seen plenty of enabling in my line of work, usually it's why kids get locked up, or parents having no role in their kids' lives. Looks like you would work with the kids who's parents buy their way out of trouble or who don't know how to say no. It might be worth it to live in NID though. It looks like the hunting and fishing are world class, that's from a guy in the middle of Wyoming too. It's a little too cold and dry here for me. -40 is a tad extreme. How are the school systems there? I have two special needs girls with autism. They have almost everything they need here, mostly good teachers who have been great with them. They do love to get outside and dirty, it's kind of hard to do that here in the winter though. Anyone know if there are good services for special need children in NID?

Old 10-04-2011, 08:32 PM

5,249 posts, read 8,069,406 times
I know (acquaintance not friends) a teacher and the owner of The Monarch School. I've heard good things.
My older daughter was very involved with Idaho Drug Free Youth and became friends with a few boys from very wealthy families from a school in the Bonner's Ferry area. It sounded like a decent program as well.

As far as special needs, I would not recommend Idaho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho