Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2011, 11:51 AM

22 posts, read 91,190 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am moving to Seattle early December for job change. I will drive my car from Denver Colorado to Seattle WA. Google map tells me to go along I-80 and I-84, the estimate is 20 hours.

I never drive along this route, do you have any suggestion? What should I look for? I will drive early December. How many days should I budget for? Is there better/safer route?

I asked the question in Seattle forum, there is reply suggesting me to go with I-80, I-15 and I-90 instead of I-80 and I-84, there is not much explanation though. I figure it might be better to ask in Idaho forum.

My biggest concern is safe. I do have 4wheel drive car, but I seldom drive winder road. There is an alternative, drive all the way to California and then take I-5. But I am not sure if it is worthwhile to take that longer road.

Any suggestion is highly appreciated!

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2011, 01:39 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times
I have never driven the I-80-I-84 route, but I live in Idaho Falls, in S. Idaho, and have driven the the first route you mentioned: I-80, I-15, I-90 several times in winter, either in late January or February. So far, this winter has been fairly warm and clear in S. Idaho, but it's impossible to predict how it will be in December. The roads could all be clear in December or they could all be icy- one never knows.

As you are coming from Denver, you already know how driving in the winter in the West is- it's always unpredictable to some degree.

I-80 can be dicey in places from Denver all through Wyoming until you get to I-15, and I-15 can be a problem in the S. Idaho area just north of the Utah border in the Malad Pass area. The rest of I-15 northward is pretty good except for an area just north of Idaho Falls, between I.F. and Dubois, which can be very windy, and the Interstate can close due to drifting snow during those times. The wind can cause complete white-outs there, with no visibility.

There is a pass right on the Idaho line into Montana, the Monida Pass, which is usually pretty good, but can also white out in strong winds. From there to the I-90 intersection at Butte, and from Butte to Missoula and then on through Idaho, the road is OK unless ice conditions are prevalent.

Westward into Washington, I-90 can be very foggy in the Moses Lake area west of Spokane, and Snoqualmie pass can receive a lot of heavy wet snow, which can make it slick. Once you are west of that pass, the weather is usually much more moderate as you approach the coast.

Your snow tires should be fine, but to be on the safe side, I suggest carrying some chains, and if you can, allow yourself a day or two in case the weather does turn bad on the drive. There are plenty of towns along the way to pull off in, except for the area between Dubois, Idaho and Butte, Montana. In that stretch, the only town of any size is Dillon, Montana, which is about in the middle. North and south of Dillon, there isn't much in the way of any accommodations.

Old 11-23-2011, 05:55 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,266,599 times
Yes, Snoqualimie has been closed in both directions just yesterday. When my husband was heading west the other day, he had to chain up (drives a semi truck).

As said, it's winter, be prepared. Even if you were to go all the way out to I-5, you risk snow on Ashland in OR which can call for chains or being closed.

Old 11-23-2011, 07:26 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,663,701 times
I hope I wasn't the explanation that offered no reasoning...but I tend to tune in to these type of threads!

With ideal weather, the best route from Denver to Seattle is beyond a doubt north up I-25, west on I-80, connecting in Ogden, UT with I-15/84 up to 82 in Hermiston, OR, then hook up with I-90 in Ellensburg,WA, and a straight shot into Seattle.

The wildcard is indeed the weather. It is a total crapshoot. Winter storms can happen anywhere, anytime in west. Particularly from Wyoming though Idaho. Perhaps a plan "B" can help, but many times winter storms in the west are large, and will affect large areas, unlike the smaller isolated storms that occur in the east.

Old 11-28-2011, 09:54 AM

7,378 posts, read 12,666,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandia View Post
Hi,

I am moving to Seattle early December for job change. I will drive my car from Denver Colorado to Seattle WA. Google map tells me to go along I-80 and I-84, the estimate is 20 hours.

I never drive along this route, do you have any suggestion? What should I look for? I will drive early December. How many days should I budget for? Is there better/safer route?

I asked the question in Seattle forum, there is reply suggesting me to go with I-80, I-15 and I-90 instead of I-80 and I-84, there is not much explanation though. I figure it might be better to ask in Idaho forum.

My biggest concern is safe. I do have 4wheel drive car, but I seldom drive winder road. There is an alternative, drive all the way to California and then take I-5. But I am not sure if it is worthwhile to take that longer road.

Any suggestion is highly appreciated!

Thanks.
Even if you go across on I-80 to CA and north on I-5 you might still hit weather in the Donner Pass on I-80 (although you're probably not going to get stuck ) and up around Mt. Shasta and into Southern Oregon on I-5, but the Interstates will be straight and plowed. Check out the forecast and play it safe. If a major storm hits the NW I'd take the extra time and go up I-5. Also ask yourself if you want to be driving in the dark; if not, you'll only have until around 4 pm before you have to find a hotel.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:32 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,918,129 times
I would take I-80 to salt lake city, then I-84 up through boise and up to portland. Then follow I-5 up to seattle..
I-80 is windy and could have blowing and drifting snow.. I-84 from salt lake to boise usually isn't THAT bad.. it's a well traveled stretch of road, Mind you, 80 miles past boise is the blue mountain pass which can be nasty.. but once you're over it.. it should be smooth sailing into portland along the columbia river and up to seattle..
This path allows for you to see 4 cities and follow areas where there's more traffic so the roads will be taken care of better,
If you're looking to get there ASAP.. you can take 395 up to the tri cities and get on I-86 to I-90 at ellensburg and continue over Snoqualmie pass.. but I would check the weather reports before going that route.. because snoqualmie pass while not high in elevation does recieve a LOT of precipitation due to it's proximity to the coast
honestly.. it all depends on how fast you want to get there..
You could do the trip in 2 days... or 3 if you want to stop for a bit and relax..
If you want to do two days.. I would drive to 80 to salt lake and then 84 up to twin falls or boise and spend the night.. then get up and go another 9-10 hours to seattle (depending on weather) or route..
if you plan to go to portland and up.. I would stay overnight in boise...as that would be about halfway

Old 11-30-2011, 07:34 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,663,701 times
Also, one important key here....CA enforces chain laws more than most western states. I think they will also turn you back if you don't have 'em. Other western states might ticket you, or even more likely not notice you without chains. (In all but the worst conditions). Just some experience over the years....

Old 12-02-2011, 12:38 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,758,372 times
I used to travel by car for a living covering an absurd 17 States (Ohio to the West Coast) so I've seen it all. I always outfitted my car (typically front wheel drive) with specialized winter tires. NO not studded and no not the super squishy soft rubber kind that wear down in no time like the Blizzaks. I never had problems that way. Now with that out of the way it depends if you are time limited as well. If NOT then even better. There are a LOT of ways to get to Seattle from where I am in Salt Lake and for you if you're coming from Denver you'll most likely have to deal with the dreaded Cheyenne to Evanston run and let me tell ya it ain't pretty when it's snowing or the wind is blowing (which it does a LOT between December and April). Once you're past that your primary challenge which is weather dependent is "The Blue Mountains" which rise just outside of LaGrande Oregon and you come out of them just before Pendleton Oregon. Its a good stretch and ugly if it's storming (with chain restrictions if it is) Once you're out of those on I-84 you are pretty clear till you hit Snoqualamie and you already know from others that's a real wild card. It certainly by far the most direct way to get there.

I can think of a ton of ways it could get done but if it were me I'd tough it out and just stick to the I-80-I-84 to I-90 and hope for the best. They are after all well maintained roads with LOTS of gas, food and lodging stops if needed. Either way it's an adventure. I kind of miss those in a way as I no longer travel. I had it down to a science. Even tuffed it out in a ice storm through Nebraska once and was perhaps the ONLY thing moving on wheels at the time. I made it through and ironically was rewarded with the largest and most important sale of my career at the time. You just never know. The only humorous thing was the night I spent in a 4 story hotel that night in Kearney Nebraska I was the ONLY guest. I got the best room in the place :-)

Old 12-02-2011, 03:43 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,526,395 times
I've run that route more than a 100 times, literally.

I-25 to Ft. Collins, CO
US-287 to Laramie, WY (Avoids Sherman hill west of Cheyenne)
I-80 to I-84 all the way to Portland, OR
I-5 to Seattle (avoids Snowqualmie Pass)

It's December and the weather could run anywhere from perfect to blizzard conditions and there is no alternate route which might avoid it completely.

Watch the weather and try to pick a time between storms, be careful and just tie up if conditions make you nervous or scared. It'll pass in a day or so.

The distance is roughly 1300 miles, which you CAN do in a 24 hour period if you keep the left door closed as much as possible. At 70 mph, that's just 20 hours of driving. I mention this because a little extra effort might very well scoot you through before another storm arrives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho