Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 08:14 AM

227 posts, read 382,226 times

Advertisements

I have not seen much cowboy culture here in NID so far, and I am thankful for that. I'm glad to see it is thriving elsewhere though, for those who are into that sort of thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2014, 11:36 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,739,027 times
It is here in north Idaho, you just have to know the right people and be connected. It's not really like rodeo, horsey or rancher type people are going to come into regular contact with newbies who don't share the same interests.

Old 12-18-2014, 11:48 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,823,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
It is here in north Idaho, you just have to know the right people and be connected. It's not really like rodeo, horsey or rancher type people are going to come into regular contact with newbies who don't share the same interests.
I had family members who lived in N. Idaho and had horses and cowboy hats. Does that count?

Old 12-18-2014, 11:53 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,739,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
I had family members who lived in N. Idaho and had horses and cowboy hats. Does that count?
Doubtful. I have horses and I'm sure there is an old Resistol around here somewhere but we are not part of the cowboy culture. I do have friends and acquaintances who are though. Multi-generational ranching and rodeo families.

Old 12-18-2014, 12:27 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
Sure it does. You will have to go looking for the cowboy culture here, but it isn't hard to find at all, and you already have stuff in common with them. Any local feed & supply will know about upcoming horse/western/cowboy local events. All you have to do is show up. The hat's always optional, and so is the horse.

Old 12-18-2014, 02:52 PM

212 posts, read 308,704 times
We went to the Bonner Co rodeo a few months back and the rodeo finals at the Kootenai fairgrounds. Lots of cowboy culture! We had never been to a rodeo before moving here. We wanted to immerse oursleves in the western way of life. As a bonus, we really enjoyed the rodeos and will be going back for more.

Like Misti and Mike said, it's here. It's just not in your face.

Old 12-18-2014, 03:37 PM

307 posts, read 980,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAngleDoesn'tSuck View Post
Before you move your family to Canyon County, consider the area carefully.
Most of the people on this list are out of CC.

Help authorities capture KBOI's Most Wanted | Local & Regional | Boise, Meridian, Nampa, Caldwell, Idaho News, Weather, Sports and Breaking News - KBOI 2

Canyon County has had a murder and a stabbing the last two nights respectively at two different Jackson's gas stations.

I wouldn't move my family there.
I have heard polar-opposite viewpoints about the infamous "crime" in Canyon County. Reports say it was awful a decade ago and not anymore. Others say it's a stigma still attached to the place and looked down upon though in reality it's not crime ridden as some say. Yet still others swear it's very bad and they'd never live there. I've heard from people who live in Caldwell and Nampa saying it's perfectly nice place to live and raise families and that the crime is pocketed and not severe.

But, I'm not there. It seems that people's opinions on the subject range from one pole to the other: either it's full of crime and a picture of life in the inner city of a major city is painted, or there's hardly any crime anymore and that it's exaggerated because of a reputation that's long since died.

Frankly, I don't know who is accurate. Unfortunately, I am not able to visit the area first. But I've talked with,folks about the area for several years and honestly I have been hesitant on moving due to some of the opinions, Yet I've heard stellar opinions from folks living in Caldwell and Nampa as well. However, I have NO DESIRE to live in Boise or the heavily populous areas surrounding. My needs dictate a smaller town life that is rural and has an agricultural leaning. If those areas are uninhabitable for reasons of rampant crime then it would seem the whole area is not sufficient for my desires?

I just want a city of 10,000 to 60,000 pop, give or take, with a small, slow paced, tight knit community feel with a agriculture life and horse folks. Ranching, cowboy and rodeo in existence as well in or around the area. At the same time, I wanted to be within distance to the major city amenities and activities for a few times a month.

Old 12-18-2014, 04:32 PM

227 posts, read 382,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Sure it does. You will have to go looking for the cowboy culture here, but it isn't hard to find at all, and you already have stuff in common with them. Any local feed & supply will know about upcoming horse/western/cowboy local events. All you have to do is show up. The hat's always optional, and so is the horse.
Maybe we need a good definition of "cowboy culture" then. If I ever have a horse and maybe even a cowboy hat, I'd still listen to heavy metal music (mostly Christian) and not dip. So what does that mean?

Old 12-18-2014, 04:36 PM

495 posts, read 610,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryway View Post
Hi, I know this is an older thread but I am the OP and am curious further if there is more of a western, cowboy, equestrian, rodeo culture that exists in the areas west of Boise metro such as Canyon County. I've heard Caldwell, Nampa and surrounding areas are still in touch with cowboy life, but not being there to judge I'm not sure if it's fading out or just very minor or only when the rodeo is going?

I am love this life and work and the people who love it too. I'm involved with ranching, equestrian, as well as Cowboy Church. I am very much a cowboy-life person, yet need to be near a metro area for family reasons. I am still considering a move very soon to this area rather than east Idaho. Any further, or fresh info on this subject are appreciated. If there's any western, or horse folks on here involved with this lifestyle please chime in.

I think in the initial thread the implication was my question was about Boise proper, but really I understand Boise itself is not rural and agriculture based. I am more interested in outer areas like Canyon County etc. Thanks so much. The music is not so much an issue as was originally stated.
Hayden Lake has some Cowboys I don't particularly like

Old 12-18-2014, 05:18 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,835,426 times
Here in NID, we have several friends who are SERIOUSLY into the cowboy culture. But I'd say it's not "pervasive"..just "normal/common" here. We have quite a few friends with horses, and the men wear cowboy hats pretty often, but always wear jeans and cowboy boots. And their kids are into equestrian events, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho