U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 08:32 PM

307 posts, read 903,136 times

Advertisements

Greetings. I was curious from you locals as to whether there is a prevelant Cowboy culture in Idaho these days and if so, where is it most predominant? Is there a strong cowboy element in the urban areas like Boise, Pocatello, and Idaho Falls or is that a lessening element? We were still thinking of moving to Emmett or the Boise area and were curious about the cowboy/western lifestyle and culture there and all over Idaho.

Also, I am a Traditional Country Musician and wanted to know if there were Honky-Tonks and dance halls in Idaho and if so, which area seems to have this element the most? We are going to live in a rural setting but within proximity to a larger city area. Thanks for your help.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 11:45 PM

27,191 posts, read 18,521,377 times
Hell, yea!
Cowboy culture still thrives here in S. Idaho, and much of the rest of the state, too.

It's fading out in Boise, but I.F. is still cowboy, although it is growing ever more urban. Poky is about the same, but in all the other little towns from the Utah border to the Montana border, there are still mostly of folks who love the cowboy lifestyle.

The music scene has pretty much shriveled up here, though. I played in country, bluegrass and crossover bands all over S. Idaho, Boise, Montana, Wyoming and N. Utah for over 30 years, but live performance of all kinds of music is pretty rare now. The clubs are having a hard time drawing the crowds big enough to support live bands these days all over the West.

The Boise music scene is the largest, but even it is drying up. Bozeman was also a real good place for musicians, but it's fading now, especially since all the best bars on Main St. blew up in a gas explosion a couple of years ago... the 3 best music bars were all next to each other, and they all blew up.
Missoula is still pretty good, but even there, it's hard to land a gig unless you are a known local. Bluegrass is still pretty big in Missou, mostly because it's a college town.

All the joints I used to play are either DJ or karoke now. It's pitiful. I have 2 sons who live in Portland, and that's the only city I've visited in the past few years where the live music scene is still booming, but a lot of it is punk or retro rock there. E. Oregon is still cowboy country; Pendelton may still have some places that will pay for live bands.

It's very hard to land a gig with a band that has more than 3 members. Damn shame, too- I think a 5 person country band is the best lineup... gotta have a fiddle and/or a steel guitar!

I quit playing out a few years ago, but I think a musician who really digs hard can still find some places to play around here. Jackson Hole may still have live music going on, as it's so all-season tourist dependent, and the Wood River Valley probably still has some good cowboy bars for the same reason. But it's mostly pitiful these days.

Old 01-02-2012, 08:28 PM

banjomike: Thanks for the sturdy reply! I'm glad to hear that Cowboy culture still thrives in most of Idaho! But its definitely sad to hear about the live music scene collapsing. I too, have seen this in my travels. I was especially sad to hear that alot of honky-tonks in Texas had been closed due to the economy and lack of patronage.

I agree that you must have a fiddle and a pedal steel. I am a Traditionalist myself. It is sad to hear that it is fading around Boise. I have been interested in relocating to that area but it is important to me that there be a Country Music scene. Thanks for the info so far!

Old 01-02-2012, 10:16 PM

17 posts, read 52,129 times
What do you mean cowboy culture? Do you ride? Are you interested in rodeo? Towns like Preston have weekly rodeos in the summers. Pocatello has cowboys and country music (5 Mile Inn). You mentioned Emmett which is has a lot of cowboys and others who ride, much more than Boise. Boise is NOT cowboy. I suggest looking at the Magic Valley (Shoshone, Dietrich, Carey) even Hailey can be pretty damn cowboy at times.

Old 01-02-2012, 11:25 PM

27,191 posts, read 18,521,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryway View Post
banjomike: Thanks for the sturdy reply! I'm glad to hear that Cowboy culture still thrives in most of Idaho! But its definitely sad to hear about the live music scene collapsing. I too, have seen this in my travels. I was especially sad to hear that alot of honky-tonks in Texas had been closed due to the economy and lack of patronage.

I agree that you must have a fiddle and a pedal steel. I am a Traditionalist myself. It is sad to hear that it is fading around Boise. I have been interested in relocating to that area but it is important to me that there be a Country Music scene. Thanks for the info so far!
Hi, countryway...
The music is still around; it's just getting harder to find now. Here in I.F., one of the last good venues is the Eagle's club. It's a fraternity like the Elks. There are a bunch of Eagles here who play country music, and there's always a fine jam on Friday nights. On special occasions, they'll hire a country band. Same thing with the Blackfoot Elk's club.

There are still joints all over the upper Snake River valley who occasionally hire, but it's nothing steady like it was before ca. 2000.

If you decide to come for a visit, drop me a message and I'll be glad to introduce you to some of the local players here.

Back in the day, Boise had a big hoppin' country music scene, but it's pretty much gone now- once in a while Pengilly's has a country or a country-rock group in.

I'm sure it will come back around again... music always goes in big circles.

Old 01-04-2012, 02:34 PM

17,478 posts, read 11,901,112 times
Might check out Weiser, Cambridge, Midvale and Counci,l not sure about music, but they've got cowboy culture.

Old 01-06-2012, 06:52 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,970,446 times
As mentioned, Boise is definitely not country or cowboy, more like the polar opposite. It is rare to see a person wearing a cowboy hat in this city unless you spot Gov. Otter walking around.

There is a growing and thriving live music scene in Boise, and is actually beginning to get a lot of attention regionally and nationally and we have a growing number of local musicians and bands, including but not limited to indie rock, folk, jazz, funk, punk, classical. The scene is more similar to what you would find in Portland but on a smaller scale. We have many touring groups that perform in clubs and venues. The live music scene in Boise is far from drying up, it is getting extremely wet, much different then it was 3 or so years ago.

Excluding Country Music, the live music scene in Boise is much larger and diverse and cosmopolitan than found anywhere else in the state, but obviously since this is the big city.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:22 PM

Thanks for the info, everyone!

Old 12-18-2014, 06:16 AM

Hi, I know this is an older thread but I am the OP and am curious further if there is more of a western, cowboy, equestrian, rodeo culture that exists in the areas west of Boise metro such as Canyon County. I've heard Caldwell, Nampa and surrounding areas are still in touch with cowboy life, but not being there to judge I'm not sure if it's fading out or just very minor or only when the rodeo is going?

I am love this life and work and the people who love it too. I'm involved with ranching, equestrian, as well as Cowboy Church. I am very much a cowboy-life person, yet need to be near a metro area for family reasons. I am still considering a move very soon to this area rather than east Idaho. Any further, or fresh info on this subject are appreciated. If there's any western, or horse folks on here involved with this lifestyle please chime in.

I think in the initial thread the implication was my question was about Boise proper, but really I understand Boise itself is not rural and agriculture based. I am more interested in outer areas like Canyon County etc. Thanks so much. The music is not so much an issue as was originally stated.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:13 AM

276 posts, read 582,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryway View Post
Hi, I know this is an older thread but I am the OP and am curious further if there is more of a western, cowboy, equestrian, rodeo culture that exists in the areas west of Boise metro such as Canyon County. I've heard Caldwell, Nampa and surrounding areas are still in touch with cowboy life, but not being there to judge I'm not sure if it's fading out or just very minor or only when the rodeo is going?

I am love this life and work and the people who love it too. I'm involved with ranching, equestrian, as well as Cowboy Church. I am very much a cowboy-life person, yet need to be near a metro area for family reasons. I am still considering a move very soon to this area rather than east Idaho. Any further, or fresh info on this subject are appreciated. If there's any western, or horse folks on here involved with this lifestyle please chime in.

I think in the initial thread the implication was my question was about Boise proper, but really I understand Boise itself is not rural and agriculture based. I am more interested in outer areas like Canyon County etc. Thanks so much. The music is not so much an issue as was originally stated.
Before you move your family to Canyon County, consider the area carefully.
Most of the people on this list are out of CC.

Help authorities capture KBOI's Most Wanted | Local & Regional | Boise, Meridian, Nampa, Caldwell, Idaho News, Weather, Sports and Breaking News - KBOI 2

Canyon County has had a murder and a stabbing the last two nights respectively at two different Jackson's gas stations.

I wouldn't move my family there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho