Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 09:10 PM

318 posts, read 1,316,867 times

Advertisements

We have folks who can't seem to stick to the word of wisdow...they got to have their coffee. These folks attend our regular sunday services at our local churches. Our temples are very special places...you need a temple recommend to enter. A person gets a temple recommend after meeting with a bishop. We are asked several things but one is do we follow the word of Wisdow...the answer needs to be yes, in order to get a temple recommend. Or to get baptized.

Yes, the correct term is LDS convert. Your friend most likely didn't think too much of it...but wouldn't want other members seeing in his house...

My husband is funny...I like using a coffee pot for hot water...but my husband doesn't want visiting members to think we're drinking coffee. Not all our friends are LDS. We do go to gatherings where people drink. We just don't make a big deal of it.

Is LDS doctrine fixed or does it evolve...we have a living prophet. So we do evolve in a sense. When that living prophet dies...another is chosen. The prophet does receive revelations.

When the word of wisdow was written available hot drinks were tea, and coffee. So those are the hot drinks. A lot of members do not drink caffeine in any shape or form. But there is the gray area...soda. Because it wasn't around when the word of wisdow was written. A healthy life stye is the message in the word of wisdow...

Hey, I wonder if anyone has thought to start a Rootbeer joint. Specialing in specially made rootbeers and food. Like a brewery

Izzy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2006, 09:37 PM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy View Post
We have folks who can't seem to stick to the word of wisdow...they got to have their coffee. These folks attend our regular sunday services at our local churches. Our temples are very special places...you need a temple recommend to enter. A person gets a temple recommend after meeting with a bishop. We are asked several things but one is do we follow the word of Wisdow...the answer needs to be yes, in order to get a temple recommend. Or to get baptized.

Yes, the correct term is LDS convert. Your friend most likely didn't think too much of it...but wouldn't want other members seeing in his house...

My husband is funny...I like using a coffee pot for hot water...but my husband doesn't want visiting members to think we're drinking coffee. Not all our friends are LDS. We do go to gatherings where people drink. We just don't make a big deal of it.

Is LDS doctrine fixed or does it evolve...we have a living prophet. So we do evolve in a sense. When that living prophet dies...another is chosen. The prophet does receive revelations.

When the word of wisdow was written available hot drinks were tea, and coffee. So those are the hot drinks. A lot of members do not drink caffeine in any shape or form. But there is the gray area...soda. Because it wasn't around when the word of wisdow was written. A healthy life stye is the message in the word of wisdow...

Hey, I wonder if anyone has thought to start a Rootbeer joint. Specialing in specially made rootbeers and food. Like a brewery

Izzy

No, I was drinking wine in a restaurant with my friend, I would never knowingly do something in one's house that they were averse to.

I tend to be very tolerant of anyone who is not harming or intruding on others. I just usually find myself having more questions than answers.

I appreciate your input, I believe that learning of new (to me) things will always be a good thing.

Old 10-09-2006, 10:08 PM

Yes, the sharing of ideas and info. is interesting to me too. I also respect others beliefs. When I was young my parents encouraged us to visit the churches of friends from school. I did the same with my older kids.

Catch you later,

Izzy

Old 10-09-2006, 10:26 PM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy View Post
Yes, the sharing of ideas and info. is interesting to me too. I also respect others beliefs. When I was young my parents encouraged us to visit the churches of friends from school. I did the same with my older kids.

Catch you later,

Izzy

That's such a difference from my upbringing. When I was maybe 9-10 years old I would attend Sunday School after church and we were taught by some nun that if we even stepped foot in another church we were doomed. I'm now 57 years old and that narrow mindedness STILL turns me right off.

Old 10-10-2006, 10:21 AM

I had lots of catholic friends and luthern friends growing up, and some are still friends today. I've attended catholic weddings and luthern weddings and funerals. I even had to fix the makeup on my best friends mother in her casket...they weren't happy with the job the palor did and couldn't bring themselves to fix it. (The things true friends have to do.)

Our faith teaches us to respect other churches. We tell our children stories that are aimed at teaching our kids that acceptance of others and their differences are the way of the church. Of course you will always have those adults who forget this teaching in their efforts to promote our church. But that is not the teachings of the church.

Many times when an adult does this, at a meeting, the room gets quite. In silent disapproval and the person leading the talk will lead it in another direction. Or someone like me will remind folks what the church teaches us.

Catch you later

Izzy

Old 10-13-2006, 12:01 AM

122 posts, read 348,806 times
I have a couple more Idaho questions.

Number one - in the Priest Lake area specifically, and in the Panhandle in general, is a 4 wheel drive vehicle always necessary in the winter? Is it not always in the city/town or necessary is one lives outside of town?

Number two - We are looking into the use of alternative energy sources. It's one of the deciding factors for us being able to be out of the city as we are looking at a specific piece of property about 10 miles out of town - the realtor confirmed there are no municiple utilities. Do any of you have any information about energy sources for those who live off-grid? I know that we can have propane and a generator - that seems to be fairly standard from what the realtor said. What about geothermal or solar? Any experience, thoughts, ideas, opinions?

Old 10-15-2006, 08:38 PM

291 posts, read 709,816 times
4WD isn't necessary, unless you live up a steep road.

Photovoltaic solar isn't yet practical (there isn't much sun in midwinter, there's no state taxpayer/ratepayer subsidies, and you need a bank of batteries). It just doesn't "pencil out". "Maybe in 10 years", as we've said for the last 30.

Solar hot water would work 6 or 7 months/yr, but cost doesn't "pencil out" unless you assume higher future propane prices.

Geothermal would require drilling at least several thousand feet, which is completely impractical.

Groundwater electric heat pump could be marginally practical if you were "on the grid", have shallow water, and are willing to accept a 30-yr payback time to break even. But off-grid, powered by a generator, no way!

Wood stoves are very practical, but require about 2 weeks/year of real work cutting, splitting and stacking. If you buy wood, cost is likely to comparable to propane (and as much as I love wood, a stove has no automatic thermostat to keep the house from freezing when you're away).

Propane works fine, and generators run fine on propane. But with maintenance, the cost is roughly 4 times higher than grid electricity. (If you use an exhaust heat exchanger for space heat, can get about half of that back.) If you're within a mile or two, it's worth pricing out the cost of getting on the grid; might be cheaper in the long run, plus you'll get that investment back when you sell.

Old 10-16-2006, 08:46 PM

122 posts, read 348,806 times
The acreage we're looking at right now is about eight miles out of town as the crow flies. The real estate person indicated the cost of connecting to municiple electricity from that distance would be HUGELY expensive. At $5000.00 per transformer and we would need about five of them plus $8.75 per foot to run the electrical wiring; we're talking about 95 THOUSAND DOLLARS - that is WAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY out of our price range. I suppose it explains why this seemingly perfect property is just sitting there. It has water but no drilled well (which I am told would cost approximately $35.00 per foot) and there is no power close by.

Checking with Bonner County utilities, it seems a reasonable estimate for full solar would run about ten thousand dollars - still a lot, but way less expensive than hooking up to the grid. I'm thinking solar and propane powered generator for the other times of the year when solar is not usable. Or, and I do not want to hear this yet, we look at a different property.

Thanks. Is propane THE way when one is far enough outside of the city that connecting to the grid is not economically feasible?

Old 10-17-2006, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflowers View Post
Is propane THE way when one is far enough outside of the city that connecting to the grid is not economically feasible?
It is the least expensive to install.

A diesel generator and oil furnace, both running on #2 fuel oil, are more expensive to install but have lower fuel costs over time. Few single family homes choose this, but larger backcountry lodges do.

May I suggest that you try to find at least one person in the area that has photovoltaic working, before you invest $10k in it? Reason I suggest this is that a friend of mine spent almost $5k for a system (just components, did installation themselves), and found she still had to run the generator once or twice a week in midsummer, every day in winter. So I looked into this, and guess an adequate system would cost about $20k (plus $200-300 per year in replacement batteries).

Finally, I don't know if the larger environmental issues are important to you, please feel free to ignore this if not. Solar cells obviously don't grow on trees. Fabrication plants are huge consumers of energy. I've seen energy balance estimates that put the energy output of photovoltaic over it's 20 year lifetime at roughly equal to the energy input during fabrication. Part of the reason is that an off-grid residential installation needs to be oversized in midsummer (and therefore inefficient), or else it will be hopelessly undersized in the other 3 seasons. Plus fabs consume a lot of clean water, and produce a lot of hazardous waste. Plus the lead-acid batteries, which have about a 100 cycle half-life, may not last a year if you deep-cycle them daily, have a very high environmental cost. It just isn't clear that photovoltaic is environmentally benign; it may be a worse polluter than propane?

Old 10-17-2006, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflowers View Post
...is a 4 wheel drive vehicle always necessary in the winter?
I didn't realize you were 8 miles out of town, and apparently 2 miles from the nearest power and presumably plowed county road. In this case, 4WD or AWD will be needed, unless you're willing to be house-bound for a week or two in the winter (or have a REALLY good neighbor with a plow blade on his pickup!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho