Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 01:23 PM

15 posts, read 41,784 times

Advertisements

We are looking into relocating to Idaho. Never been there so we are completly blind at this point. I believe the best way to find out about an area is from the people that live there. I am thinking either CDA or IF? So now my questions are- what is the summer and winter weather like? (MY husband is a heating and air tech) The cost of home prices? We currently live in a small mountain community (which we love) and my husband commutes 40 minutes to work but need a cheaper state to call home. We have young kids and like some distance between us and our neighbors .We appreciate any info and insight you can give us! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 06:44 PM

820 posts, read 1,728,663 times
My advise to you would be to do a search on here first, read up on all the topics close to your question, then repost with any additional questions. This question has been asked a ton of times and there is some phenomenal information available in those posts that might not come up in one single post. I don't want to come across as rude, just a ton of great info already shared. GL!

Old 01-04-2012, 08:09 PM

29,169 posts, read 22,137,026 times
Idaho is really two different states. Huge mountains cut the state in half.
North Idaho is closer climatically to E. Washington, and S. Idaho is higher and drier.
North Idaho has the big Idaho lakes and more rolling hills, while S. Idaho has more varied terrain.

Idaho Falls is my hometown, so I'll speak for only it. I.F. is on the east edge of the Arco desert, a high steppe that is only real desert in parts of it's western side. Some of the Arco desert has large lava flows that are 3,000 years old. Just to the west lie the Teton mountains, the Blackfoot mountains lie to the south, and Yellowstone Park lies to the north.

I.F.'s population is about 65,000, and it serves a very large area of about 100 miles in all directions. There are many small surrounding towns, and it's the economic center of the Upper Snake River Valley. The town grew really a lot in the mid-90's and was slightly overbuilt, as was Bonneville County, so home prices are very reasonable compared to most of the US.

For a town it's size, I.F. has a lot of parks and greenery. The Snake River runs through the middle of town and has a steep cascade, which gives the town it's name. Lots of organized sports, civic clubs, some really good museums, a thriving arts center, and is the center for all kinds of winter sports, which abound all around here.

A lot of folks commute to I.F. to work. The commute, depending on where a person lives, can be as little as 10 minutes to over an hour if someone lives in Pocatello, 50 miles to the south.

While housing prices are low, taxes are higher here than in Montana or Wyoming, and wages are relatively lower than most other states, but higher than Montana. Food and utilities in I.F. are low, and gas prices are either lower than average for a long time, or higher than average for a long time.

It's a very laid-back family town in general. The job situation is slightly better here than in the other areas of the state by a point or two. Lots of agriculture, lots of sophisticated engineering, and there is still a lot of cowboy culture here.

Backtrack through the Idaho topic threads, and you'll find a lot of stuff about I.F. there.

Hope this helps...

Old 01-05-2012, 02:44 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,409,101 times
Hey, banjomike, you're just the person I want to pick brain off of. Eww...that doesn't sound right, does it?

What'd'ya know about Salmon, ID? I am heading there Monday for another one of my job interviews. I am starting to get used to interviewing for jobs, I spose that's a perk of a crappy economic situation nationwide, eh?

Anyhow, I've searched through city-data for Salmon stuff and have found some here and there. It sounds like a beautiful valley area with the Salmon River running through it, surrounded by mountains. I found some beautiful pictures of the river and mountains and farmland with horses eating grass and such.

Know anything that would be useful for me? How far from Idaho Falls is Salmon, BTW?

Old 01-06-2012, 12:38 AM

3,109 posts, read 10,796,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaner View Post
My advise to you would be to do a search on here first, read up on all the topics close to your question, then repost with any additional questions. This question has been asked a ton of times and there is some phenomenal information available in those posts that might not come up in one single post. I don't want to come across as rude, just a ton of great info already shared. GL!
Just to second this...there is a WEALTH of information if you spend the time looking around the Idaho forum...

Old 01-06-2012, 09:00 AM

541 posts, read 1,220,370 times
Agreed. Searching will do you wonders. Since you mentioned it, home prices will definitely be more expensive in Coeur d'Alene than in Idaho Falls.

Old 01-06-2012, 05:50 PM

Hi, Elko...
Salmon is 162 mi. from Idaho Falls.
Salmon is a pretty small town, about the size of Rigby, but because it's in the middle of nowhere, it serves a pretty large area, I think. There is nothing but scattered farms and ranches for miles in all directions. The closest small town it's size is over the border- Hamilton, Montana. Hamilton is a little larger, possibly, but it's about the size of Salmon. All the other communities- Gibbonsville, ID, and Darby, MT, are a lot smaller.

Salmon lies in a hole, surrounded by mountains on 3 sides and a prairie on the south. It is very beautiful country, for sure, and Salmon is often slightly warmer than the upper Snake River valley by a few degrees because of it's location.

It's sort of a closed community that does it's own thing because it's so remote, and it has a rowdy reputation. In a lot of ways, it's like Idaho in a microcosm, with all the state's good and bad stuff sort of concentrated and slightly exaggerated. For many years, it didn't grow much, but over the past 20 years or so, it has seen an influx of retirees and folks who moved in for the hunting, fishing, and the wilderness sports, so I think it's changing slowly out of it's old culture of loggers, cowboys, outfitters and hay farmers.

I hope a resident helps out here- that's about all I know. I've been through there many times, but I've never spent a long time there, so all my stuff may be superficial and/or old impressions. Idaho Falls serves Salmon in a lot of stuff, and our newspaper, the Post-Register, covers events and goings-on there regularly. Missoula isn't much farther away than I.F., but I don't think most folks in Salmon go there much because Montana is different in many ways, and I.F. has more supply capability than Missou for the things Salmon needs.

Good luck on the interview! I hope you have an easy drive! Salmon can be a real buster to get to in the winter, as all roads have a pass on them someplace.

Coming down from Kellogg, I would drive I-90 to Missoula and come down through Hamilton on the Montana side. You will have to go over the Lost Trail pass, which can be a real snake in the winter, but if you plan ahead and be prepared to drive the pass as slowly as it can require, the rest of the road is pretty good. So far, this winter has been so open that I don't think Lost Trail will be tough, but it's always slow- 40 mph is about all you can do on it when it's good unless you have nerves of steel and the reflexes of a panther. Damn road doesn't have a straight mile in it, and it's all a fairly steep grade up and down, cut into the sides of a couple of mountains.

Lost Trail will dump you out almost at the Salmon city limits. BE sure and get a road report from the State Police before you leave. If the roads look like they're going to be bad, I would stay in Hamilton for the night if you get off to a late start.

Old 01-07-2012, 11:55 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,409,101 times
Thank you so much banjomike! That's just what I was looking for. I don't think I need any more information for now, man, you even provided a road report. Yeah, my prospective Boss already told me to be sure and get a State road report before I leave, and yes, I will.

That is the route I am planning on driving, east on I-90 until we get to Missoula, then south on state 93 to Salmon, after going through Hamilton, MT. My map shows Big Hole National Battlefield on State Highway 43, right at the line where ID and MT intersect, about 10 miles east of State Highway 93 that we'll be on. I drive like someone twice my age perty much all the time, so I'll be cautious as can be and yes, staying the night in Hamilton may be a really smart way ta go about this thing.

Evidently I have a great chance of landing this job, which is such great news, my hours are down too close ta nothing right now in Kellogg, and the state of Idaho is having ta pick up the tab of supporting my wife and I through unemployment insurance. I'd rather be working fulltime and this job will be a 8:00 to 5:00 PM gig, which suits me just right. 40 hours a week steady work-I'm stoked!!

This is so cool, because, ya know what, I am coming to just love Idaho! Evidently Salmon is where Mr. Lewis of Lewis and Clark first unfurled the American flag west of the Continental Divide, and they went to Salmon to look for a place to float downriver on the Salmon River to points westward, if I am understanding what I read correctly. When they saw that it wouldn't work out, they headed back eastward in to Montana, dejected and no doubt tired and crabby. Imagine the hauling requirements if it included a canoe and gear and some food!

Salmon is also the birthplace of Sacajawea, famous Indian woman. More on that later as I need to refresh myself on what significance she played in history. Something about Lewis and Clark there as well.

Anyhow, I am going to be googling away this weekend researching Salmon. But banjomike, your help is so nice to have. Yeah, as for distances, it appears that Missoula is just about ten miles closer to Salmon than Butte. Butte is around 160 miles from Salmon and Missoula is about 150 miles away. No Wal*Mart in Salmon, there is a Subway and Burger King and of course some grocery stores, gas stations and mini-marts. I have a picture of the Salmon library as the background on my desktop right now.

I poked around a bit already on google and someone in the town has recently built some new pathways and little bridges over streams in town and that is something my wife and I love to do, walk our dogs around and hike.

Last edited by elkotronics; 01-07-2012 at 12:32 PM..

Old 01-08-2012, 05:26 PM

Hi, Elko...
I hope you have a sunny day for the drive... the scenery on that route is fantastic!

Salmon would be great for little day hikes with your dogs. The town is real close to the forests there, and it's more open country on the south. It's a pretty place.

Right on re/ Lewis & Clark. I believe they went over the Lost Trail Pass. They also went over the Lolo Pass back into Idaho, which is an alternate route to Salmon from Kellogg, but it's a slower drive.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:27 PM

3 posts, read 9,591 times
It seems a lot of people who love the area do not like hearing the negative points, but I think it is fairly important to hear the good & bad of any area! Living in Coeur d alene for 5 years now and I am ready to move on. I think people who are from here, tend to love it more than those of us *Sun-bums* Lol. I have lived or at least road tripped through mostly all of America. My hubby & I both, have also traveled abroad. The weather is pretty cold a lot (below 40) if it is sunny, it often windy. winters are longer (8-9months) & shorter summers think July, Aug. & first 2 weeks of September (90 degrees) A lot of my clients are Californian. However, apparently a lot of Idahoans are fairly negative to so many Cali's moving here (My husband is from San fransisco) He has been flipped off driving down the free way, and my co-worker was yelled at to "Go back to California" I ve got more stories but you get the idea. Lol. Coeur d alene is the best for Hiking, camping, fishing, water sports, & is a very "clean" town. You wont find anywhere that resembles a "ghetto" here! You will take a seriously big pay-cut, but cost of living is also very reasonable. You can rent a 4bdrm/2ba house for around $950 in a cute cookie cutter subdivision. Or..if you like acreage you can by a manufactured on 5 acres for about 180,000 Lot's of parks nearby & I hear that the new Coeur d alene schools (Hayden/Coeur d alene) are great, but the fernan schools districts are poor. (I got that info from previous City-data members) Oh...and I found a condom at that Fernan elementary school playground!! (Ewww!! I know, but its true, I didnt want my toddler playing with it) Hope that helps!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho