Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 10:38 PM

2 posts, read 4,251 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for any recommendations anyone might be able to provide... I'm planning a camping trip to Idaho in early or mid-May. I'd like to hunt fox and possibly coyote (I hear badger and coon might be a possibility too?). Can anyone help me with some ideas of where I might be able to camp and hunt? I'm not looking for anyone to give me their secret location. Just looking for some help planning a three/four day trip...

Thanks!

Sam
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 04:36 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,937,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicGeekSA View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for any recommendations anyone might be able to provide... I'm planning a camping trip to Idaho in early or mid-May. I'd like to hunt fox and possibly coyote (I hear badger and coon might be a possibility too?). Can anyone help me with some ideas of where I might be able to camp and hunt? I'm not looking for anyone to give me their secret location. Just looking for some help planning a three/four day trip...

Thanks!

Sam
You'll need to call Fish and Game, in a lot of areas of Idaho it's illegal to hunt foxes. My area you'd be heavily fined, people have them for pets

Think coyote's are the same in certain areas, best to contact F&G to be safe. They can send you maps of the camp areas and what's available to hunt during that time and where to hunt.

Old 01-25-2012, 10:56 AM

2 posts, read 4,251 times
Last time I checked, there's only two listed counties where fox hunting is illegal... Valley and Adams. Fully legal everywhere else (provided you're not on private property or have permission from the owners). The fox and badger season is nice and long too... almost ten months I think.

Already contacted the dept of fish and game... just looking to narrow down my options.

Old 01-25-2012, 03:15 PM

123 posts, read 263,350 times
Why fox and coyote? coyote usually better and easier to hunt in winter....you can hunt bears in may/june in Idaho!

Old 01-26-2012, 08:08 AM

The thing is Valley County and Adams County are snow areas. The foxes start turning ugly, about May. I would guess they're coats start turning gray, in other Counties quicker. If your going for the pelt, I'd, say May to Sept the foxes look grayish, fall would be a better time, same for the coyote's.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:44 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,744,831 times
Seems odd to come to Idaho just to hunt fox, coyote, and coon since they're practically everywhere else in the country. Most folks come here for the elk, moose, bear and now wolves.

I used to fox hunt though (back east), but from the back of a horse, wearing tall boots, breeches and hunt coat. Tally ho!

Actually most fox hunts are on a dragged scent now so while the hounds thought we were really fox hunting, the rest of us knew better.

Old 01-27-2012, 02:02 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriverranch View Post
Seems odd to come to Idaho just to hunt fox, coyote, and coon since they're practically everywhere else in the country. Most folks come here for the elk, moose, bear and now wolves.

I used to fox hunt though (back east), but from the back of a horse, wearing tall boots, breeches and hunt coat. Tally ho!

Actually most fox hunts are on a dragged scent now so while the hounds thought we were really fox hunting, the rest of us knew better.
This thread is useless without pics!

I'd agree with bothering to come to Idaho just to hunt predators...but if you want coyotes, you're welcome to come to my place. Hear the little bastages nearly every night. Might help my herd of kitties last longer if you thinned the coyote population.

Herd? Flock? Gaggle? Pride? What the heck do you call a bunch of cats anyway? Other than trouble.

Old 01-27-2012, 02:35 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,744,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post

I'd agree with bothering to come to Idaho just to hunt predators...but if you want coyotes, you're welcome to come to my place. Hear the little bastages nearly every night. Might help my herd of kitties last longer if you thinned the coyote population.

Herd? Flock? Gaggle? Pride? What the heck do you call a bunch of cats anyway? Other than trouble.
I would love to find some pictures of my breeches and crop-carrying younger days!
Probably in the storage place in Sandpoint.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:19 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,495,584 times
A big 'ole bunch of cats are called a pride. Or perhaps a Pride.

Remember, dogs have owners but cats have staff!

Old 01-28-2012, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post

Litters or too many!!!

cowboys herding cats - YouTube

Last edited by wildflower82; 01-28-2012 at 08:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
View detailed profiles of: