Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 02:07 PM

782 posts, read 1,356,600 times

Advertisements

I grew up in North Calif in the 60s,70s and 80s moving away in 1987 but now thinking of relocating from outside Savannah, Ga to somewhere else as sadly my wife of 25 yrs has decided to move on.
I am an experienced physician assistant so expect to find work practically anywhere there is are medical practices. Anyways, I love the outdoors and would like to find some where to move where my 16 yr old son and I can enjoy 4 wheeling, hunting, hiking, fishing, kayaking/boating.
My ideal area would be like where I spent my youth (northern Calif redwoods) in green forested areas with plenty of free public lands (not over-regulated) to allow multiple recreational activities.
I would like to live in a gun friendly, moderate minded area that has all the amenities you need (home depot, walmart, hunting/fishing supplies,etc) but difinitely not in the "rat race" of overpopulated communities/cities with traffic-jammed commute lines.
Because I have a 16 yr old son, good education is important and drug/crime ridden areas are out.
I'm budget-minded and desire to live in a moderately priced home of 3/2/2.
If I could I would love to buy at least a few acres but if too costly, want to have quick access to public recreational land.
Thanks for any suggestions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 07:07 PM

7,379 posts, read 12,670,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorman View Post
I grew up in North Calif in the 60s,70s and 80s moving away in 1987 but now thinking of relocating from outside Savannah, Ga to somewhere else as sadly my wife of 25 yrs has decided to move on.
I am an experienced physician assistant so expect to find work practically anywhere there is are medical practices. Anyways, I love the outdoors and would like to find some where to move where my 16 yr old son and I can enjoy 4 wheeling, hunting, hiking, fishing, kayaking/boating.
My ideal area would be like where I spent my youth (northern Calif redwoods) in green forested areas with plenty of free public lands (not over-regulated) to allow multiple recreational activities.
I would like to live in a gun friendly, moderate minded area that has all the amenities you need (home depot, walmart, hunting/fishing supplies,etc) but difinitely not in the "rat race" of overpopulated communities/cities with traffic-jammed commute lines.
Because I have a 16 yr old son, good education is important and drug/crime ridden areas are out.
I'm budget-minded and desire to live in a moderately priced home of 3/2/2.
If I could I would love to buy at least a few acres but if too costly, want to have quick access to public recreational land.
Thanks for any suggestions
You are essentially describing North Idaho: Forested; public lands; lakes and rivers; gun friendly; decent high schools; safe communities; good property deals right now! And medical practices, too, although jobs may not be as available as you imagine. But will your son be able to handle real winters?

I suggest you start looking around Coeur d'Alene or Sandpoint, using Google Earth to familiarize yourself with the area. Work and school will probably determine your exact location, but you can start educating yourself about real estate availability online (Zillow, for example), so you know what to look for when you're ready to make the move. Also check out the numerous threads here on Sandpoint and CdA, as well as our sticky picture thread!

Old 03-14-2012, 07:31 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,876,119 times
I agree you are describing Idaho from Riggins north to the canadian border.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:06 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,275,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
You are essentially describing North Idaho:
NO NO NO don't listen to that CFF! It is nuthin but taters here, lots and lots of taters, swimmin in taters! All those pictures I post, PHOTOSHOP I tell ya!

Old 03-14-2012, 10:22 PM

7,379 posts, read 12,670,445 times
Oh, that's right, I forgot. Yes, forget what I said. North Idaho is flat and boring. No trees. No water at all. Everybody hates guns. Elousv is so bored out of his mind that he makes up pretty pictures... when he's not eating taters

Old 03-14-2012, 10:28 PM

405 posts, read 1,280,796 times
We hate guns here in Idaho, please give yours to me so I can .. ummm.. dispose of them

Seriously, if you love guns, come to Idaho!! Everybody on my block is armed to the teeth!! It's pretty cool, I am walking down the street and see so many Glock, Sig Sauer, NRA and other gun-stickers on people's trucks and cars here. I say trucks, cause almost everybody here has a pickup truck or two. Idaho is a very gun friendly state.. And, your out-of-state permit is valid here for conceal carry until you get your Idaho permit. Considering, you're from California, that may mean you don't have any permit.. Here's a little advice, if you need to conceal carry in Idaho right away, go up to Washington, where you can be issued an out-of-state permit within a couple weeks which is valid in Idaho. The Idaho permit takes a good 1-3 months to process. They tell you 90 days, but mine came in 30 days. You also have to take an NRA certified course with an Idaho permit, which you don't have to with a WA permit. It's worth getting the Idaho permit, however, because you can bypass the NICS check when you purchase firearms in the state.

As far as shooting, Boise is the shooter's paradise. North Idaho has much more limited shooting ,because it is forest land compared to the large expanses of desert and open area we have in the South. Nonetheless, North Idaho has its share of shooting options. I am planning on leaving Boise for Couer d'Alene, maybe. The reason being isn't for shooting options, but rather there is a lot more beauty right at your footsteps from town living in the CDA area.

Check out the Boise Shooters website if you want to learn more about shooting events and chat with people in Boise area who are very helpful with information. Just google Boise Shooters, as I don't know if I can post the link here.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:44 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,275,974 times
One of the classes I attended at Center Target Sports had this dude asking some gun control question, obviously from "that state that shall not be mentioned" and the instructor tilts his head and says " That ain't ever gonna happen here in IDAHO, your in God's country boy!". You don't have to be religious to get that. I remember at work, when I announced I was moving up here and they started calling me "SPUDS".

Old 03-14-2012, 11:06 PM

1,573 posts, read 2,925,471 times
We are big on guns here and even the Sheriff department helps out with classes:
Washington County Sheriff's Office https://www.facebook.com/pages/Washi...50491138382646
I want to remind everyone we will be holding a firearms safety class in Weiser on March 17. The class starts at 6 p.m. and will go until 9 p.m. This class will deal with the legal aspects of deadly force and will provide the needed training to recieve a concealed weapon permit. If you are interested in attending the class please email wcsheriff@co.washington.id.us or call 414-2123 to sign up. We hope to provide this class 2-3 times a year. If you can't make this class there will be other opportunites to attend one.

There is a hospital in Weiser. Home Depot and Wal-Mart is 16 miles away next door to each other. Staples too. What we call big shopping in Cladwell is about 60 miles from Weiser. Boise 80 miles. So you can get to the rat race but do not have to live in it.

We live in Midvale 20 miles North of Weiser. An easy commute to Weiser and I can see the forest from my front porch. I would not want to live in the forest.

There is hunting fishing lakes and Hells Canyon. All close to the forests. Mann Creek is about 10 miles North of Weiser. Everything you ask for is in our area.You would not be living in the pine trees.

We lived close to Auburn CA which we considered Northern CA. We also moved away in 1986 to Clayton ID. I like it much better over on the western side. We have been over this way for almost 20 years. The weather is milder. Still get a lot of snow, except this year. :^(((

Chris

Old 03-16-2012, 11:17 AM

208 posts, read 318,229 times
I'm not a big gun person and we plan on moving to ID this summer, but I think I will be quite happy knowing I can protect myself without some liberal crap about a perpetrator's rights.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:38 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atvwife View Post
I'm not a big gun person and we plan on moving to ID this summer, but I think I will be quite happy knowing I can protect myself without some liberal crap about a perpetrator's rights.
I'm glad to hear that you're making the move. Where in the state are you landing? If north, we need to get out riding!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho