Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 12:33 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriverranch View Post
That is so cool. What I would have given to have grown up like you did.
I have decided to switch my English saddle to a western saddle though I don't know if it will ever feel right to hold reins in one hand.
It's a funny thing about folks- branding is hard, dirty work that has to be done right or best not done at all. Even with 'modern conveniences' like branding chutes and electric irons, the work is still very hard and tough, and potentially dangerous for kids. But it's the kind of work that also gives a younger child some real deep feelings of accomplishment; there is no unimportant part to it, so any part of that work a kid does is just as vital as anything else.

It's also the kind of work that can only be learned best by the doing of it, following the instructions of the elders, whoever they are. My Dad was very good at it, but my Uncle was better, and both taught me, and I taught one of my sons. All my cousins know the work, and it's man's working my family, even though the women do much of the other work that goes into the total effort. There is no easy part to it, for anyone.

When my grandfather and uncles, who all had their own livestock when I was young branded, all of us turned out for each branding, and pitched in. It's stuff like this that keeps extended families together. The hard work that is shared is always the most clearly remembered and cherished as the years pass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 09:16 AM

7,378 posts, read 12,666,226 times
Mike, would you consider adopting me? That is how I wanted to grow up, too! Never too late for an additional childhood...

Old 04-13-2012, 04:23 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Mike, would you consider adopting me? That is how I wanted to grow up, too! Never too late for an additional childhood...
It all ended with my father's generation. He, his brother I mentioned, and his sister are all gone now, and his youngest brother is an old man. As it is everywhere, all of us who were their children have spread to the winds and gone on their separate ways.

My younger brother is the traditionalist. He likes to keep the old ways as much as possible, so I go do my bit whenever I have the inclination. But we're getting old now, too, and the tradition is going to one of his sons-in-law who was never a part of them, so it's impossible to say how long they will last now.

But in Idaho, the cowboy way isn't ever going to change all that much. Most of what we did is still being done today, all over the state. Old Mother Idaho dictates, and cowboys can only follow her rules. The most efficient ways were figured out a long time ago, and they are still just as good as ever.

Ranch life is romantic in the thought of it, and damned hard work in the doing of it. And these days, fat guys on AWD's down in Florida raise far more cattle than Idaho does. it's just the way things go.

The only change I think was bad was the state's outlawing the use of the running iron to make a legitimate brand. All brands have to be stamp brands now by law. It's a good law- the running iron was always the rustler's friend, but our brand favored them.

It's too bad we can't use them anymore; a nuclear engineer made a beautiful set of hard stainless irons for my Dad as a present 50 years ago, and they were the envy of all our neighbors. They never bent when they got hot, and they stayed very hot once heated. My bro still has them, and they still look good.

Old 04-14-2012, 08:35 AM

148 posts, read 501,306 times
horn hunting as the snow melts.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:44 AM

I love reading about all your plans! And nice to see you all, including some posters we haven't seen for a while here. I'll add another Idaho spring plan of mine, if everything works out: getting our property perked, and applying for our site location permit! Yess!

Old 04-15-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriverranch View Post
That is so cool. What I would have given to have grown up like you did.
I have decided to switch my English saddle to a western saddle though I don't know if it will ever feel right to hold reins in one hand.
You'll love the saddle horn on steep slopes...but you probably have English riding knees of steel! I bought a restored classic Lawrence saddle from the 1920s in a Sandpoint saddle shop a few years back. Perfect condition. One of these days I hope I get to slap it on a horse in NID!

Old 04-15-2012, 04:32 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,742,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
You'll love the saddle horn on steep slopes...but you probably have English riding knees of steel! I bought a restored classic Lawrence saddle from the 1920s in a Sandpoint saddle shop a few years back. Perfect condition. One of these days I hope I get to slap it on a horse in NID!
Oh no...you never pinch with your knees in an english saddle, that will get you slapped. Or you'll eventually fall off. My lower legs on the other hand are pretty strong.
I do have a western saddle, several of them, and I've ridden western a lot back in Arizona. I like it, but I never quite feel the horse beneath like i do in my jumping or dressage saddles. Different saddles and styles for different purposes. I might get an Aussie saddle, since I don't rope, the horn just gets in my way.

Old 04-15-2012, 05:24 PM

820 posts, read 1,739,471 times
Longboarding down to the beacon and sitting in the sun drinking a beer on a nice day, and spring football league.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:50 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,742,442 times
This spring I just can't wait to get out on the forest roads in my new Jeep. Just got it saturday and I'm convinced it's the prettiest Jeep color ever.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:21 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,493,524 times
Great Jeep color, indeed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho