Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 04:28 PM

5 posts, read 6,656 times

Advertisements

I know everyone here has been asked this question 1000's of time. I have seen a lot of posts on it and thank you for all the information, it has been a great help.

What I am looking to know is, all the people from California that were asking these questions, did you make the move and if so does meet your expectations? are the winters that bad? Are you happier now or less than when you where in California?

Any insight would be great. I was offered a great job opportunity in CDA, so we are flying up there this week to check it out. I would like to hear from actually people that made the move.

thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 11:07 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,839,717 times
I was "that guy" asking 101 questions and sponging up information here on CDF several years ago. Started with lurking and reading, then joining and posting, and finally making the move and then helping others (then being drafted to moderate).

Two things I really don't like about North Idaho. All the bugs in May-September (a whole lot more than SoCal...not so different if you're from the central valley), and I hate mud season, where it's too crappy and melty to be nice and snowy, and our dirt roads turn to mud and everything is slushy.

Otherwise...it would take a court order to get me to move back to California...and even then I may not go...

Old 05-16-2012, 07:01 AM

285 posts, read 850,282 times
I think a lot of it is going to depend on which part of California you came from too. Each metro in California is greatly different than the next...

Old 05-16-2012, 08:00 PM

We are coming from So. California (Riverside) which is inland...Over populated, hot in the summers 105+ with tons of smog, high crime and 50% of the people here don't speak english. This is why we are really considering the move. We have lived in So. Calif (we did move to Vegas for 4 years, but thats just like California, so we don't count it) all our lives and don't know what seasons are. The job I have been offered has pays great, especially for the area. We could get a large home with land (not that we would know what to do with it). My biggest fear would be my wife getting cabin fever as she will not have to work and the fast pace of California, not sure if she will be able to slow down....Anyway I appreciate the input. We fly out tomorrow and will be up there the weekend, so I guess we shall see what CDA has to offer.

Old 05-16-2012, 08:19 PM

820 posts, read 1,739,717 times
Most of what has been said is what I would attest too. If you want some more area information, real estate info, or just a guide of great places to eat (i am a foody) shoot me an email @ shane.greenfield@gmail.com and I will give you my phone #, or you can let me know what time and I can be at my office in downtown cda on sherman to give you some stuff. If not, no worries, just trying to be helpful =) Have a great trip!

Old 05-17-2012, 12:28 AM

3,109 posts, read 10,839,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebates2011 View Post
We are coming from So. California (Riverside) which is inland...Over populated, hot in the summers 105+ with tons of smog, high crime and 50% of the people here don't speak english. This is why we are really considering the move. We have lived in So. Calif (we did move to Vegas for 4 years, but thats just like California, so we don't count it) all our lives and don't know what seasons are. The job I have been offered has pays great, especially for the area. We could get a large home with land (not that we would know what to do with it). My biggest fear would be my wife getting cabin fever as she will not have to work and the fast pace of California, not sure if she will be able to slow down....Anyway I appreciate the input. We fly out tomorrow and will be up there the weekend, so I guess we shall see what CDA has to offer.
I moved here from the IE as well. Trust me when I saw that it will be culture shock (in a GOOD way). You won't want to go home.

No, it's not perfect here...but people who have never lived in Riverside/SBdo area just don't understand how frustrating it is even living "in the good part" of those areas and dealing with life there.

Oh...and be sure to connect with Shane. He's taken good care of several people and has been a good resource here on CDF for many people looking to relocate.

One KEY thing about relocating to North Idaho...you do gotta be willing to slow down, relax and enjoy life...it's a different world here...

Old 05-17-2012, 06:49 AM

274 posts, read 471,870 times
*sigh* 2 more years before I can make the big move.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:44 AM

285 posts, read 850,282 times
My only issue with moving to Idaho (not north Idaho) has been that if you require certain types of shopping, restaurants, services, etc - you may not find what you are looking for without quite a bit of travel.

Other than that, nearly every other aspect of the state has been an improvement in quality of life. IMO, to make Idaho work if you are used to these things, you have to really get out and enjoy the outdoors.

Old 05-21-2012, 10:35 AM

181 posts, read 435,666 times
Moved to CDA last September from so cal, I lived there along with Alaska, Florida and Illinois. I have not once missed so cal and you won't either. The pace of life is so much nicer here and the quality of life is to me a huge factor in loving North Idaho.

If you can't stand a little cold it might be an issue, otherwise you have my guarantee that if you move here and really immerse yourself you will be happier here than you can ever imagine.

Old 05-21-2012, 03:16 PM

Well I just returned from my tour of Spokane and CDA. I must say I like CDA a whole lot more. It's a beautiful small town. As soon as we landed in Spokane everyone was extremely nice and helpful. We did a lot of driving in CDA as we wanted to look at homes whiles we where there. Everyone that was outside their homes would wave at us. My wife was asking why is everyone waving at us, they must think we are someone else (typical Californian), haha.

We had great weather why we where there and possibly looking at moving to Kid Island (Harbor View Rd). Is anyone familiar with this area? If so, how are the roads in the winter? My job will be in Post Falls, so I have about a 24 mile commute, not bad in normal weather conditions, just curious about snow.

Any how thanks everyone for all their input. Just need to make the decision to make the move or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
View detailed profiles of: