Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2012, 09:38 PM

2 posts, read 8,969 times

Advertisements

I'm new here, so I hope I'm not being rude by going out & asking my question without any kind of introduction.

I might be interviewing for a job in Pocatello (I say 'might,' because I don't live in Idaho & I'm deciding on whether the job is worth going out to interview for; the job & the employer are fine, I'm just concerned about the pay).
The job is full-time, with health/dental/vision benefits, but the pay is only $12 per hour.

In doing research about ID, it really seems like the cost of living isn't that low.
Utility costs & rent do seem very low, but I was stunned to see that Idaho's state income income tax rate is very high (& the highest bracket begins at a low income); add that to the fact that grocery costs don't seem that low & the state sales tax is 6% (including on groceries), I'm left wondering if I'll be able to afford to live in the state.

I know asking if I'd be able to "afford living" in Pocatello is very vague, so what I generally mean is:
be able to afford a decently nice apartment (one room is fine; I'm a single guy in his 20s) in a good part of town (no high crime, although it seems like the crime rate is very low anyway) & live alone without a roommate; I'd be willing to go without cable/satellite & any kind of high cost cellphone plans, etc., but for me broadband internet would be a necessity.

I've done research on my own & tried to factor in all the costs that I could expect, but I thought it would be a good idea to ask the opinion of anyone who lives in the Pocatello area (& since I don't know anyone in ID, I'm glad I found this forum).
Any feedback, advice, suggestions, etc. would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 12:04 PM

285 posts, read 850,357 times
You would be able to rent an apartment or possibly buy a smaller older home in an older section of home. After utlilities, food, entertainment, etc it would be tight but possible. A good rental unit is going to be about $650 - 750

Income tax is shockingly high and thats why I say it may be a bit tight.

Of course it helps if you have low car insurance and no car payment.
It will all come down to budgeting carefully.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:23 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,666,349 times
Pocatello has among the lowest cost of living in Idaho among Idaho's major metro areas. Keep in mind that the average salary is lower in this part of the state, but overall, you will do fine with a lower income in this part of the State. I will disagree you need 650-750 for rent. A decent 1-BR is still available at 500-550 in Poky.

Many national companies, (AllState, Hoku, etc.) have moved into the area entirely due to the lower cost of labor. So, you have to weigh it. Lower salaries, but more jobs.

Old 05-18-2012, 07:16 AM

1,644 posts, read 3,035,606 times
The health insurance is worth it, though this sounds like a "second income" type job.

Rent. Keep up with your auto maintenance as a major repair could have financial effects that last months. It's time to listen to Mom (or grandmother) about how to live frugal.

Old 05-18-2012, 09:31 AM

432 posts, read 534,072 times
I can't give you any financial advice, as you know best what you need to live as opposed to want.

I will tell you however, $12 an hour is not bad for the East Idaho (Pocatello/Idaho Falls) region. Hopefully your job has the opportunity for raises and promotions. Having insurance is key as well because if you have a medical emergency it could put you in a financial wreck.

I live in Idaho Falls which is a tad more expensive to live but my wife and I have been able to buy a house, raise four kids, and still find time to go out and have fun. All from making around $15 hr each so I think you'll be able to afford it!

Sounds like a good job to me and a good time to be able to branch out on your own, good luck!

Old 05-18-2012, 02:43 PM

285 posts, read 850,357 times
When I was in college in Pocatello, an on campus apartment proved to be the cheapest option for an apartment in good condition and even that was closer to $600 per month. Of course there were cheaper, but IMO I found them to be unacceptable for various reasons.

Old 05-18-2012, 05:43 PM

541 posts, read 1,224,793 times
Agreed, for a state that professes a love of personal freedom and limited government, Idaho's income tax of 7.8% and sales tax of 6% is mighty "progressive."

That said, they recently voted to decrease the income tax to 7.4%. There have been talks of decrasing it further to 4.9% over time.

It definitely makes one do a double take when you have Wyoming beckoning with a 0% income tax.

Old 05-18-2012, 09:42 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,666,349 times
Idaho state taxes are moderate. They are not the most regressive, nor are they the most progressive. Compare with WA, OR, and CA. Idaho comes out ahead among these states. Sure, WA has no income tax, but a huge sales tax, OR has no sales tax, but jumps up when it comes to income, and CA, well they have both, and neither are moderate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho