Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2006, 02:20 AM

7 posts, read 35,685 times

Advertisements

This might be the wrong place to ask, but it seems like there is a bunch of nice people on here so I'll ask anyway....

I have mentioned in a previous post that we are moving to Idaho Falls from Norway, I have a 5 year old (6 in feb) that should start kindergarten. and a 3 year old that probably should go to preschool.

Are there any exceptional good kindergartens ( i am thinking like normal kindergartens but with really good teachers, or otherwise caring personnel). Or the same with preschools.

I am a little nervous about it because the school system is very different here, and the kids have pretty much gone to a play centered preschool/daycare. Which is the only thing that exist here. School doesn't start until they are 6.

If anybody could tell me anything and everything about how kindergartens work, which area of IF has good ones and maybe if there is somewhere i should avoid, i would be very grateful.

thank you for all your help,

Anette
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2006, 03:42 PM

5,322 posts, read 18,198,820 times
I did not want your question to seem as if we were ignoring you, but I am clueless as I do not have children.

We're on a public school system here and if you send the kids to public kindergarten will be at the school whose boundry you live in, there are however private schools; a few churches have private school along with the Montessori.

Otherwise, I'm as lost as you.

Old 09-20-2006, 04:21 PM

28 posts, read 241,742 times
I'll see what I can find out. I have a 2 1/2 year old that will be needing pre school soon but I just hadn't stated to look into it. Guess I should huh? If I hear of anything worth passing on, I'll post it.

Old 09-20-2006, 06:52 PM

318 posts, read 1,313,402 times
I'm in CA but there are somethings that I think cross state boundries as far as general requirements. Kids here in the states learn in preschool (age 3 & 4) how to write their first name. Their colors. How to count to 20 or more. Their shapes, how to follow instructions, social skills (how to verbally ask for things or express their feelings), table manners. How to use the restroom by themselves and dress themselves after using the restroom.

Age 5 is kindergarden, they are in the same schools as older children but usually have a separate area to play and attend school. Elementary is usually k-6th grade. 5 year olds learn to draw, abc's, count to a hundred or close as they can. Write their full name. Learn their address and personal info., the schools focus on reading. They are expected to have most of their social skills and to follow instructions most of the time. They have homework in kindergarden.

It is believed that if a child can read they can learn anything.
Our daughter is in 2nd grade (age 7) and reads very well. She also does math, some algbra, works independently a lot.

I also would like to know if this is different in Idaho. I'm LDS Mormon and a lot of the families in our faith home teach. I'm guessing a higher percentage of this happens in Idaho vs CA. Because there are more LDS in Idaho. Home teaching is done here in the states as well as private schools or christian schools. But private education is not cheap. Public education is free.

I also heard on this website by micrguy that Boise has open enrollment...meaning you can live in one area and go to school in another if space is available. Is this right, can anyone comment on this?

Hope this helps a little.

Izzy

Old 09-20-2006, 09:06 PM

5,322 posts, read 18,198,820 times
Izzy, I have only known one family here in town that did home teaching and they are JW. Most of the high schools and middle schools have (LDS) seminary (?) right next to the schools.

Public education is far from free You have registration fees, a huge list of supplies for all grades and let's not forget you pay for all field trips regardless of whether they are in school that day to attend them!

I can recall growing up, we might have had a shop fee or two or fees for sports, but anymore it's crazy.

Old 09-20-2006, 10:04 PM

318 posts, read 1,313,402 times
Cleosmom,

It must be a little different in id., in ca there are lots of families that home teach. There is no seminary next to schools. We have no registration fees, except for community college, we only pay for field trips our kids attend. We do buy school supplies.

Izzy

Old 09-21-2006, 03:04 AM

7 posts, read 35,685 times
Default Thank you!

Thank you Cleosmom and djstorey for answering, and djstorey if you do find out some info i would be happy to hear about it.

Also thank you so much Izzy for answering my question about what happens at preschool and kindergarden. The school system here is very different, like i said in the post, so i am a little worried about my oldest. He should have started kindergarden this fall, but hopefully they will let him start when we move. We will be there end of Nov, beginning of Desember, but i was hoping he could start in beginning of January.

He is a bright normal kid, speaks both english and norwegian fluently, but school here doesn't start until you are 6, and the preschool he has gone to his only play based. Though they have learnt a lot of things through the play. I think he knows everything you said they do at preschool, except he can't spell his name. But he knows the whole alphabet by looking at it....

I am so nervous on his behalf, but i try not to let it shine through, because he is very excited.

Anyway, thank you everybody for answering. Hopefully the move will go ok...

Anette

Old 09-21-2006, 08:28 AM

28 posts, read 241,742 times
Anette - What Izzy said about preschool and kindergarten sounds pretty much as what my older son learned at that age. He is now 13 so I don't remember all the details! My oldest son (15) never went to preschool but has done wonderful nonetheless.

I will be talking to my sons speech therapist later today and see what she knows about pre-schools in the area if anything. I did find some info though on the curriculum of kindergarten in our school districts. We have 2 districts here in the Idaho Falls area. District 91 & 93. District 91 basically includes the city of Idaho Falls itself. District 93 includes the areas surrounding the city.
Hope these links work for you!

http://www.d91.k12.id.us/curriculum/grade.aspx (broken link)
http://www3.d93.k12.id.us/
http://www.boardofed.idaho.gov/saa/standards/language.asp (broken link)

It's hard to say which district is "better". I believe that they both have some schools that are a little better in some areas. A lot of people really like the section of district 93 that includes Ammon Elementary, Sandcreek Middle School and Hillcrest High School. This is the section we live in and my 2 older sons have been to all 3 of these schools and I have had no real complaints. However, I do know though that district 91 tends to have a little better financial situation.

The schools that I have heard the most negative of things about tend to be in the older (poorer) parts of town. I think I remember from another post that you have family here. THey should be able to help you with what parts of town are better.

Hope some of this helps you. If I find out more about pre schools later I'll post it.

Old 11-28-2007, 04:07 PM

1 posts, read 8,868 times
We recently moved to Boise. In Idaho kindergarten is not mandatory so your little one should be fine starting in January. It is only half a day and you may have a choice of morning or afternoon. Homeschooling is very big here both with LDS and Christian's. A good preschool is hard to get into once registration is done. Registration is in Febuary. The School system is behind here so I would not worry too much about your babes. I am in Boise so it may be different but I am sure the half day is state wide. Either way, we are in America and if there is one thing our system is use to it would be new students from other countries. I think you are smart to look into this early, Best wishes to you and your family with your move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
View detailed profiles of: