Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2012, 06:23 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,605,797 times

Advertisements

I understand this mountain summit is at a high elevation and is relatively lightly traveled. However, over this Memorial Day weekend I took the route both southbound and northbound and it is in not so good shape, (especially NB). Some filled potholes, some new ones that are not filled. I also understand transportation budgets have had to cut back. Has it always been this bad?

In the meantime, there seems to be plenty in the budget to replace the McCammon bridge and completely rebuild the interchange. Not that this is a bad project, but isn't maintaining an Interstate summit important, too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 06:31 PM

29,175 posts, read 22,146,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
I understand this mountain summit is at a high elevation and is relatively lightly traveled. However, over this Memorial Day weekend I took the route both southbound and northbound and it is in not so good shape, (especially NB). Some filled potholes, some new ones that are not filled. I also understand transportation budgets have had to cut back. Has it always been this bad?

In the meantime, there seems to be plenty in the budget to replace the McCammon bridge and completely rebuild the interchange. Not that this is a bad project, but isn't maintaining an Interstate summit important, too?
This is the time of year when roads are at their worst. By early fall, I'm sure most of the potholes will be filled. That stretch of I-15 was drastically improved in the early 90's, so it probably hasn't gotten the budget attention it needs lately.

It's heavily travelled by semi trucks, and during tourist season it also gets heavy use. Automobile traffic at other times is probably lighter on the pass than other passes, as I-84 drains off a lot of the traffic coming north from Utah that is headed toward Boise and S.W. Idaho.

Old 05-28-2012, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
This is the time of year when roads are at their worst. By early fall, I'm sure most of the potholes will be filled. That stretch of I-15 was drastically improved in the early 90's, so it probably hasn't gotten the budget attention it needs lately.

It's heavily travelled by semi trucks, and during tourist season it also gets heavy use. Automobile traffic at other times is probably lighter on the pass than other passes, as I-84 drains off a lot of the traffic coming north from Utah that is headed toward Boise and S.W. Idaho.
Yes, banjomike, what you say is true. I understand the time of year, but it is the worst I've seen it in six years. I wonder if it is being neglected, though I have nothing to base that on, other that personal experience.

FWIT, and a completely unrelated issue, Utah drivers seemed to be much more calm and polite this weekend than I have witnessed in the past. Not sure if enforcement there has been stepped up recently, but that is what I noticed.

I also noted many U-hauls towing cars with California plates moving east on I-80, and north on I-15. Anecdotal, of course, but interesting nonetheless.

Old 05-29-2012, 05:44 PM

29,175 posts, read 22,146,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
Yes, banjomike, what you say is true. I understand the time of year, but it is the worst I've seen it in six years. I wonder if it is being neglected, though I have nothing to base that on, other that personal experience.

FWIT, and a completely unrelated issue, Utah drivers seemed to be much more calm and polite this weekend than I have witnessed in the past. Not sure if enforcement there has been stepped up recently, but that is what I noticed.

I also noted many U-hauls towing cars with California plates moving east on I-80, and north on I-15. Anecdotal, of course, but interesting nonetheless.
Folks might think California drivers are bad, but I'm with you- Utah drivers in this neck o' the woods are much worse mannered.

I-15 is probably low on the maintenance list right now, but if you have ever travelled an Interstate in Nevada, it's still wonder road in comparison. And long stretches of I-15 in California are way bad; the heat and the desert chews a roadbed up pretty fast.

No surprise for me to hear about the U-Hauls. The exodus has been going on for 20 years now, and I think will only escalate over the next decade.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Folks might think California drivers are bad, but I'm with you- Utah drivers in this neck o' the woods are much worse mannered.

I-15 is probably low on the maintenance list right now, but if you have ever travelled an Interstate in Nevada, it's still wonder road in comparison. And long stretches of I-15 in California are way bad; the heat and the desert chews a roadbed up pretty fast.

No surprise for me to hear about the U-Hauls. The exodus has been going on for 20 years now, and I think will only escalate over the next decade.
Yes, in Idaho, how many times have you been passed by a Utah driver going 80-85 on the Interstate? I know there is an impolite name for this, but I won't go there. I wonder if many Utah drivers think because it is so wide open in Idaho, the speed rules don't matter. (They would be wrong in some parts, especially between Poky and IF).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho