Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 10:18 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,491,332 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have price comparisons as compared to Idaho liquor stores? I'm particularly interested in the price on 1.75 liter bottles of Bacardi Select, but would also be interested in whether the prices are generally lower at one or the other.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 10:35 AM

99 posts, read 264,101 times
Take it easy on the Booze. A little scary to read someone interested in price on huge bottles of liquor. Nothing wrong with responsible use of alcohol but 1.75 litres of hard booze seems excessive.

Old 06-04-2012, 01:14 PM

Jory, you don't drink the whole bottle at once. Dang, who you been hanging out with?

Old 06-05-2012, 08:35 AM

285 posts, read 850,282 times
I'm not sure where you live, but unless you're buying in quantity, I just can't see traveling more than 10 miles one way saving enough on a single bottle of liquor to be worth the time once you factor in the gas required to get there.

I sure hope that one day liqour sales here will get privatized. It's not just more expensive right now, it's a terrible inconvenience to not be able to just grab a bottle while grocery shopping.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:49 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,475,666 times
Yes, having state stores is kind of a pain but here is what I saw in Arizona the last time I went back. Booze is sold everywhere, at the gas station, grocery stores, private shops - it's all over. When I went to Fry's (the AZ version of Fred Meyer, owned by Kroger) they did sell liquor and the prices were a little better but the selection stunk. Our state stores had a deeper selection of liquor, so if you want to bourbon that isn't Jim Beam or Evan Williams you have the opportunity. So the grocery store is a great place if you need a name brand cheap liquor.

What AZ does have that was great is a place called BevMo - a liquor superstore. Great prices, deep selection and offers beer, liquor and wine all in one place. Plus the people that work there know their booze, so they can recommend brands that you may have not heard of or seen before.

Personally I look at my free time as being worth $20 an hour. So if I waste time driving around and only save $5 for a 2-3 hour trip than I lost money.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:13 AM

414 posts, read 1,095,073 times
I'm not sure what the prices at the stateline liquor store in Jackpot are, but their telephone number is 775.755.2368. When pricing alcohol for a trip I was making to Montana a couple of weeks ago, the liquor stores there were more than happy to give me prices over the phone, so I imagine you'll be able to get a price that way.

Just for reference the price of Bacardi Select in Utah are about $1 more than Idaho's prices for the 750ml size. ($13.99 vs $12.95) as far as I can tell, Utah's liquor stores don't stock the 1.75L size. Idaho's price for the 1.75L bottle is $23.95. Another factor in your purchase might be sales tax. In Elko county, NV it's 6.85%.

Idaho's June Liquor Pricelist
Utah's June Liquor Pricelist

Just to note about purchasing large quantities of alcohol and being responsible, during Memorial Day weekend in Montana, I purchased approximately 35 liters of alcohol and no one in the liquor store even batted an eye. Not because it was cheaper (it wasn't), but because I didn't want to transport it all. And before anyone has an aneurysm, I was hosting a party over the course of three nights, each night with about 100 attendees, which works out to less than three shots per person. I also bought 1.5L of Everclear for personal use since it's not sold in Idaho, and I probably won't be back in Montana until next Memorial Day. What's funny is that even though the day before I wasn't carded for purchasing nine gallons of alcohol, when I purchased the Everclear I was carded. The guy noted, "Of course, you're from Idaho. You're the only people who buy this 'crud.'"

Old 06-05-2012, 12:09 PM

I'm in Boise. The reason I'm thinking about buying in another state is not necessarily to save money, but because I'm a bit ticked off at the Idaho Liquor Commission for the Five Wives stupidity. I was hoping I could break even including gas and maybe lunch. Oregon's prices on the rum are $3 more so I was hoping I could find it cheaper in Nevada.

Thanks everyone, good info in all your posts.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:55 AM

414 posts, read 1,095,073 times
Looks like lawyers are getting involved in the Five Wives fiasco now.
'Five Wives Vodka' ban sparks lawsuit threat - Coeur d'Alene Press: Local News

Old 06-06-2012, 09:10 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,665,161 times
There was a similar thread on here, or maybe it was another site. However, my response is the same. If you choose to go to Nevada to gamble or otherwise travel this State, then definitely buy your liquor there, it IS cheaper. Avoid WA, OR, and CA for liquor sales.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:53 AM

285 posts, read 850,282 times
I found California to be cheaper than Idaho for liquor - exceedingly so if you shop at stores like BevMo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho