Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 11:43 PM

7,379 posts, read 12,670,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwprof65 View Post
The yellow jacket infestation is beyond wasp spray; one of the many nests inside the roof is nearly the size of a large watermelon and the single mother could hear loud buzzing through the bathroom vent. In fact, some insects were coming through the plumbing, while the children were taking a bath.

The excuse the landlord gave was that a professional exterminator would cost hundreds of dollars. I do hope you will investigate this. If not building codes, health department?
Nwprof, who would you like to investigate the yellowjacket problem? We're just private people posting info and views here--not investigative journalists or Chamber of Commerce officials.

You may find that Orofino, also being a small town, does not measure up to your requirements/wish list which seems to focus mainly on what real estate agencies and landlords can be expected to live up to. Orofino is a wonderful town, but I wouldn't expect a wealth of community organized senior living facilities. I don't want to make assumptions based on just five posts from you on C-D, but it occurred to me that you might want to look for a community where the social focus is radically different than in most of Idaho, such as Seattle and the surrounding towns--? Not much need for snow plowing there, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2012, 11:46 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,839,717 times
Quote:
Being in a redneck community, as a high profile businesswoman from New York
Somehow I just see this rubbing people the wrong way in north Idaho. Perhaps the mechanic quoted you $2K because he didn't want to be a "redneck working for a high profile New York businesswoman"?

Look...unless you saw a different video than what I watched, it wasn't telling people that living in Moscow is better than buying a home in Aspen or a Kapalua beach home on Maui...it was just selling people on THIS rural small town versus OTHER rural small towns...and in that regard It think it's probably fairly on point. At least it's no more egregious than marketing materials from realtors in most areas across the country.

Old 06-24-2012, 07:20 PM

4 posts, read 19,381 times
My husband and I are looking for a great place to raise our two children, but to also be able to enjoy our lives. This video has sold me on Moscow, ID!! I really thought it was truly well done and hope that I can get my husband on board, as well. Going to be doing much more research on this area. Thanks for sharing this video.

Old 06-24-2012, 07:38 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,876,540 times
Glad you liked it. Happy to answer any questions you may have.

Old 06-24-2012, 08:52 PM

4 posts, read 19,381 times
Thank you, Keim, as I may take you up on that.

Old 06-29-2012, 09:37 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,937,957 times
Quote:
Thanks for your perspective and for answering each comment so well and you can have Moscow.

All I wanted to do was balance out the romanticized, oversell that many, many real estate companies do throughout this country. A good community can sell itself, with it's natural beauty and the truth can be spoken without shame that real people do live there and real people have problems. It depends on what you want to live with.

The yellow jacket infestation is beyond wasp spray; one of the many nests inside the roof is nearly the size of a large watermelon and the single mother could hear loud buzzing through the bathroom vent. In fact, some insects were coming through the plumbing, while the children were taking a bath.

The excuse the landlord gave was that a professional exterminator would cost hundreds of dollars. I do hope you will investigate this. If not building codes, health department?

I want to leave this discussion on a very positive note that the buses in Moscow are excellent and service both sides of town. The drivers are the most patient, smart, helpful and represent the best qualities of public employees.

The snow removal in town is also excellent; they are right on it and keep the roads very clear, even going out in the middle of the night.

We're going to review Orofino next; will let you know.
Orofino is a nice very small town, but you're probably going to have even more culture shock there. You might try Sun Valley or McCall that's only if you like SNOW!!!!

PSSST.........for a while don't tell anyone in Idaho your from CA or New York, after they get to know you it won't matter where your from.

Old 11-02-2012, 06:38 PM

3 posts, read 8,729 times
Quote:
There are aspects of Moscow that are different from what is being "sold" by real estate people.

There are 2 state highways intersecting downtown that create a lot of traffic and stress, especially if you're slowing down to pull into a store parking lot or turning or looking for an address. This condition is out of proportion to a town this size.

There are several neighborhoods of old, ratty apartment buildings that date back to 1940's military housing. They were cheaply built then and now don't seem safe enough to house the many, many poor families who now live there. In fact, one building on 5th and Blaine nearly burned down last winter.

Around the corner on 5th and Blaine, another dilapidated building doesn't seem like it should be allowed to house people at all. For at least 4 summers, yellow jackets have built massive nests inside the eves and are very agressive toward people coming and going. There are 2 children in this building; the mother complained to us that the building owner did nothing to solve the problem.

The impression we got, while investigating for a housing journal, is that there are few housing codes, standards or regulations of the kind that would protect people. I would question there being an adequate disclosure agreement to protect an unaware newcomer.

Overall, the town has a feeling of poverty...old, old, old cars that pollute terribly....made us wonder if air quality is important to anyone in that town.

We bought bottled drinking water the entire six months we stayed in Moscow. At times, the water was kind of yellowish and brackish....tasted horrible. We assume it's run off from the farms. If you move there, we recommend you get the water tested if you are going to drink it or cook with it. It could vary by neighborhood.

There is absolutely nothing to do. There are walking trails, as mentioned and college related activities but the town doesn't promote tourism very well (what is there to promote?). Downtown Moscow dies in the summers, after students are gone.

Spring Valley Reservoir is beautiful; it's past Troy, almost 30 miles. Coeur d' Alene isn't as close as is promoted; it's almost 50 miles one way.

As to medical, it's ok for an area this size and would be a good peaceful spot for retiring, if there was more retirement housing. Spokane is far superior for advanced care, especially for heart related problems.

Alcoholism is rampant but AA meetings are stand offish to newcomers. Meth use is growing fast, according to one local doctor.

Female front desk staff from hotels to medical offices are cool and somewhat passive/aggressive; a sign of oppressed female.

The downtown book store said our ordered book would "get here, when it gets here".

At the Latah County Fair, we saw dozens of obese, teen mothers. Several locals told us these women belonged to religious cults.

There is a dark side of this local culture and the college there creates a very strange mix. Although we believe there is warmth is some of the mainstream churches, we didn't stay any longer than necessary.
As we say in Idaho..."Welcome to Idaho, now go home"

No, but seriously, Moscow is a "chill" town. It has it's own rhythm and it's definitely not one of New York. Having lived in Moscow and spent lots of time in Chicago I notice vast differences in culture. Moscow is slower because it can be, I've decided.

Old 11-10-2012, 10:24 AM

446 posts, read 709,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joryjim View Post
nwprof65, I have a feeling you will focus on the negative no matter where you are.
Are personal attacks really necessary?

Let people have their own opinions.

Old 11-10-2012, 04:10 PM

15 posts, read 49,766 times
Default Thanks

My comments were meant as an objective evaluation for anyone thinking to re-locate. It's important, in particular to know about water quality because the real estate people are not going to be honest about this problem and just a few months ago, a water pump did break and water became a second issue for all the residents of Moscow.

Moscow City officials ask residents to conserve water | Local & Regional | KLEW CBS 3 - News, Weather and Sports - Lewiston, ID

Funny that I was welcomed to Idaho and then told to go home. This is home; my great-grandparents, after pioneering in South Dakota, owned and operated a sawmill on Hayden Lake (Skinner Bay remains) in 1900.

I want everyone who comes to visit or live in Idaho to be told the truth and to experience what I grew up with - that is, integrity in business and that means not over-selling any place. Over-selling real estate, based on omitted information is a California thing.

If you like the transient nature of the college town, combined with (what appears to be) indigent housing, fine. There is some culture on campus and without too much tourism, summers are pleasantly quiet. My friend had about $10,000 worth of instruments stolen from his storage unit and he has noticed an increase in theft related crimes. This fact could be related to the increased meth use....that could result in a decrease in property values, if not brought under control quickly.

I forgot to mention that I had "crowns on demand" made in an dental office (off Blaine) that are poorly attached and I may take this dentist to small claims court this year. I would recommend anyone going to any dentist's office not get crowns made while you wait; I learned that one cannot rely on "fast food" on-site dental labs; trusting a dentist in Moscow was expensive.

See my review of Orofino in the Kamiah...Kooskia...Orofino thread and compare. I just love life on the river.

Also note that I was a travel adviser, having set up the first privately owned visitor center in Washington State and have reviewed communities for visitors and potential retirement areas in the west. Again, while quality of life is subjective, there are some real issues that can make people unhappy in the short term and long term.

Old 11-10-2012, 05:22 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,876,540 times
I enjoyed your write-up on Orofino, NWProf. I also like the town alot. It is beautiful.

I did, however, find it interesting the different things you focused on. For Moscow you have focused on customer service, housing, medical care, the environment and traffic. For Orofino you don't mention those, or gloss over them with a quick comment about being able to get items from Lewiston or online.

It appears to me the beauty of Orofino is enough to make you overlook the towns many problems. A luxury you don't extend to Moscow. Perhaps you simply don't like the transient nature of a college town?

For instance, I find the traffic bothersome at the first and second intersections after crossing the bridge, limited housing, a tiny hospital, lots of old housing, and much of the town seems run down (outside of a quaint 3-4 block down town area). Orofino also has some of the worst schools in the area.

Nonetheless, glad you enjoy Orofino. I can understand why! Despite my knocks above, I think the town has a LOT going for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho