Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 05:07 PM

393 posts, read 1,881,167 times

Advertisements

Hi,
From what I am reading here on these posts, there isn't too much affordable real estate in ID anymore. I don't really care for the 8mos of snow/ice in the northern part.......am I downright out of my league. I am single and only have one income. I can do a fixer upper, but stetching my income to the max would be a $125,000 house, and that would be pretty tight. When I did a realtor.com search there wasn't much in any area of ID for that. That is for a 500.....or 600sqft house........Am I not looking in the right areas?
Why come out there, and fall in love with an area I can't afford.......It would just make me mad........LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2006, 05:45 PM

63 posts, read 362,665 times
Try searching removed and follow the links to real estate or removed

Values in Boise have really escalated the past few years and most homes near downtown are a minimum of at least $200,000. There are still some homes in certain areas for around $100,000 to $150,000, but the further west you get from downtown the less expensive the homes are.

Last edited by Marka; 09-23-2006 at 02:11 AM..

Old 09-22-2006, 07:50 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,269,946 times
The 8 months of snow/ice is somewhat of a fib. Here in SE Idaho we start getting snow that sticks to the ground (most years) in late Nov. and snow melt is in March/April. Do we get snow in other months? Yes. Does it stick? Not usually. Heck, I saw it snow 4 inches in Omaha one year which melted the next day.

From what I've seen you could get a fixer upper on this side of the state for less than the west side.

Old 09-22-2006, 08:31 PM

63 posts, read 362,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillygal View Post
Hi,
From what I am reading here on these posts, there isn't too much affordable real estate in ID anymore. I don't really care for the 8mos of snow/ice in the northern part.......am I downright out of my league. I am single and only have one income. I can do a fixer upper, but stetching my income to the max would be a $125,000 house, and that would be pretty tight. When I did a realtor.com search there wasn't much in any area of ID for that. That is for a 500.....or 600sqft house........Am I not looking in the right areas?
Why come out there, and fall in love with an area I can't afford.......It would just make me mad........LOL.
That is true that 8 months of snow/ice is completely false-maybe on mountain tops. In North Idaho you would deal with 4 months: Nov through February or March.

Old 09-23-2006, 01:52 AM

7 posts, read 35,952 times
Default I am moving too.....

so i dont live there yet.... but we are moving too Idaho falls area in Nov. So we have been looking at newer houses, and it seems to me that there is a ton for that price. Especially fixer uppers, but there is also some brand new homes for that price. I think they were about 1500 square feet.

I have looked at Idaho Falls, bonneville county. My sister lives in Pocatello, and according to her it is even cheaper there....

do a search on these websites:

removed

Good luck,

Anette

Last edited by Marka; 09-23-2006 at 02:12 AM..

Old 09-23-2006, 07:26 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,937,291 times
Post Boise area housing prices

I requested some information from the Boise Chamber of Commerce and a real estate agent sent me an average housing price chart. It looks like its broken down by neighborhood. I have no idea if this is accurate or not. I'll just type it in and then, hopefully, some of the locals can give their opinions. Iincidentally, there really isn't a description of the house, it just says an "average" home. Guess that would be a 3 bedroom. I was really surprised when I read these. I had no idea the prices had gotten this high. Especially compared to the pay for the job openings that I've been reading about.

Here it is:

North Boise: $305,422

Northeast Boise: 386,380

Southeast Boise: $300,000

Central Boise (the Bench): $172,177

South Central Boise: $241,624

Southwest Boise: $220,817

West Boise: $196,173

Garden City: $229,934

Northwest Boise: $290,699

Eagle Area: $477,499

Star: $292,885

Meridian: $256,407- $393,387

Kuna: $232,237

Middleton: $223,611

Nampa and Caldwell: $154,668-$202,456 (lower prices Nampa, higher Caldwell)

I've also heard that Pocatello is much cheaper, but I don't have any info. Hope this helps

Old 09-23-2006, 08:16 AM

434 posts, read 3,178,282 times
The days of finding a $125,000 house anywhere in the country are over. Especially if you want to live in a town that is a good place to live.

Personally I would rent for a year to get a feel for what I want and the right area. Maybe get a second job for a year, it stinks but it is only one year. Then I would save every penny that I could for a down payment, pay off all credit cards, other loans and make sure that I have a good credit score. With all of the creative financing out there right now, you might be surprised what you could qualify for.

I would rather make some sacrifices to live in a city that I want to live in than to spend the rest of my life in a city I hate.

Old 09-23-2006, 06:27 PM

140 posts, read 491,385 times
Default California Carl

That is good advise.

Old 10-01-2006, 09:39 PM

241 posts, read 998,532 times
Try Twin Falls, Buhl, Kimberly areas. They are cheap housing and cheap living so far. Twin has some beautiful views of the canyon and some great parks plus we don't get winter like most places. We got some snow that stuck for a few days last yr but that was it. I live on a hill and get more wind and nasty stuff then the valley gets. You are within a few hrs of many beautiful places to visit and if you like the big city to visit we are just 1.5 hrs away from Boise.

There is a wonderful trail just outside of Buhl by the Clear Springs hatchery turn off that goes to Niagra Springs park. We hiked it many times during the winter and my oldest son fished a lot in the ponds and river during the winter. I used my snow shovel more to shovel horse pooh than snow last winter LOL.

Old 10-03-2006, 08:01 PM

5 posts, read 15,088 times
Talking lots of cheap housing...

hey in the twin falls are there are alot of low priced houses! there are so many such as 4 sale by owners that arent even listed on mls listings I suggest rent a small place in twin falls ..they are not expensive and searchs for a few weeks or months i guarantee youll find the dream home in your price range!!! they are everywhere! Filer or Buhl are right out of town!driving 10 or12 miles to town is nothing , especially if youre use to driving in SO. Cal any way the people are awesome!!!I bought my house in Filer 6 miles from twin falls and I heard a knock on my door and diferent neighbors at different times brought canned jellies and homegrown veggies to us for aweek!!!! the people here are real!!!!! so dont be discouraged and take that step of faith! good luck in your search..oh yeah in Buhl I seen 4 bdrm houses for 105 thousands!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho