Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 07:53 PM

140 posts, read 491,356 times

Advertisements

Hello, I just visited Boise and McCall this Summer and plan to move as soon as I can. The people seemed very nice and the area was clean.
I wonder if anyone can tell me what the work picture is like for Construction. I am an Electrician by Trade and it looked pretty busy up there.
Any input would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2006, 08:37 PM

63 posts, read 362,650 times
The housing market in the Boise area has slowed a bit, but is still outpacing most of the nation. Boise has a long way to go before a bubble burst simply because it is smaller and has a lot of room for growth and is a popular place to move to. I think Boise (and the whole state) will continue to grow well into the future based on my experience in real estate and escrow.
The McCall area is becoming one of the hottest and best investments for a resort area anywhere in the country. Tamarack resort is helping fuel the growth. It is such a pristine beautiful area and values are going through the roof. Many, many, many new homes, developments are being built and proposed for the McCall area. Boise continues to grow with constant announcments for new developments in the metro area.
But, like I said the market has cooled a bit like the rest of the country has, but the local market is still red hot and is growing at a more normal pace compared to out of control growth experienced the last few years.

Old 09-23-2006, 09:21 AM

1,573 posts, read 2,925,177 times
California Carl,

We sure could use you here in Cambridge. The electrician here acts like he is doing you a favor to just show up and charge you over the top for his services and beeming personality. NOT. Always looking about 2 months out for service from him. All other electricians are at least 30 miles away one direction and heading towards McCall I am not sure what electricians are in the area. There is building going on here in Cambridge too since it is also getting caught up in the Tamarack thing. Sigh. Just hate to see it.

A few years ago we tried to get an electrician to wire in a hot tub . We were living in Weiser at the time. Took a couple of weeks then to get two electricians to just come out and give us bids and they had to come after hours to do that. The after hour part was fine with us. It just shows they were very busy.

I guess if you want to live and work in a city type area then Boise or McCall are your best bets. If you are willing to travel around there is more options for work.

On a side note keep in mind a lot of places that have been built around the areas were not built under the strictest codes and you ARE going to run into some nightmares in how the electrical has been done. Nothing is simple with so many older houses in some of the areas.

Chris

Old 09-23-2006, 05:52 PM

Talking Moving to ID

Thanks for the input. It is nice to hear from you. We really like it up around McCall but we were only there a couple of days. I think I could handle you're idea but my daughter thought it was too small.
I bet when the Ski resort is finished, it will attract a lot of new people. There is Squaw Valley in North Lake Tahoe and that area boomed. It is full of beautifull homes and they are real expensive. The good thing is, your house will be worth a lot more, the bad thing is, a lot of Californians like to ski more than they surf. The whole shark and drowning thing.....
I will concider yout input and check it out. One way or another, I really want to move up there soon. I hope our Real Estate market does,nt keep getting hammered though. It's ugly. What do Electricians charge per hour if you can get one?
Well TTFN CA Carl

Old 09-23-2006, 06:23 PM

Default Moving to ID

I apprieciate the input you have given me as well PineBoy. I have seen you on another blog. Sounds like you are happy up there.

Old 09-24-2006, 06:49 PM

Is it true that some of the locals resent Californians?

Old 09-24-2006, 06:53 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,268,094 times
Some do have issues with CA and other outsiders when it comes to them trying to change things to adapt to where they came from.

For those that go with the flow, no big deal.

Old 09-24-2006, 07:40 PM

246 posts, read 329,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by California Carl View Post
Yes they do. But there are so many Californians in Idaho now I'm not sure you'd notice.

Magpies

Old 09-24-2006, 07:59 PM

63 posts, read 362,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by California Carl View Post

I have never heard of anybody from California being "disliked" in Boise. I work with 7 people who have relocated here from San Jose, Ca with the company I work for. None of them have ever said anything about being treated badly. They do talk about how friendly everybody is.

Old 09-25-2006, 07:06 AM

Thanks for the positive input folks! I've get a pretty thick skin so I can take a little kidding around. I would not want anyone to take it too far or harass my daughter though.
It sure seemed like most eveyone I met was in a good mood and happy. I did meet one fellow from CA that was snivelling. He had been there over 10 years a longed for So. CA. I told him I was just there. He would not want to go back.
TTFN Carl
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho