Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 10:35 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,275,061 times

Advertisements

I drove by Acton every day for years. If you say 'up from' that it can only mean you are in the hellhole Antelope Valley. It just keeps getting better too with OCTOMOM now moving there. Anyway, back to topic. I always tell people we kept driving till we hit trees. Boise, even though it is called a City of trees, was just too deserty for us. We kept driving to Coeur d'Alene. Must like cold and snow. Not like you have to put chains on every day ( I have not needed chains and I live in a 'snow belt'). Palmdale was what 100 frappin degrees today, it was 72 here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2012, 10:27 AM

117 posts, read 249,180 times
Don't forget CDA is 4 hrs or so from Glacier National Park

and Idaho Falls 1.4 hrs from Jackson Hole Wy. Thats if you don't mind living near a super volcano lol
But Yellowstone is so beautiful. And so are the Glaceir Mtns

Old 03-13-2013, 05:05 PM

229 posts, read 565,350 times
SCescape, did you ever decide on CDA or Boise?

Old 03-19-2013, 09:13 AM

The Glacier National Park in Montana is close to CDA. About 3 hour drive. Tons of bikie trails all over CDA. This is an outdoors town. Everyone is always outside. This is our first winter in CDA and currently there is no snow on the ground in the valley. Yesterday was funny though:

Look out window my grass is white
Hour later its green
Another hour its white
Later its green.

Everyone has telling me its a mild winter. We have had some sunny days since January.

Snow doesn't seem to stop the people of CDA though. I saw kids making an igloo in their yard. And it wasn't some play igloo either. They used chicken wire and a hose to freeze it. It was at least 8 feet high and 8 feet wide.

Neighbors also camp in their yards with firepits.

Everyone has snowmobiles and atv's. Bicycling is a big deal here though. Lots of boats. We have seen lots of deer around town or a moose roaming the neighborhood.

There is mt spokane to the west and glacier to the east. Forest everywhere,

We almost moved to Boise but discovered it is more like high desert and we wanted trees and scenic panarama views. We lived in vegas(high desert) for a long time and didn't want anymore of that. Boise doesn't get as much snow as CDA but I love snow.

sorry have a little one and dont have time to spell check

Old 03-19-2013, 10:45 AM

Compared to the vegas desert (I live here now), Boise looks (in pictures, magazines and video) a world different with lots of greenery and trees, a river,, how could you compare Boise to Vegas?!

Old 03-19-2013, 11:00 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,898,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas-to-? View Post
Compared to the vegas desert (I live here now), Boise looks (in pictures, magazines and video) a world different with lots of greenery and trees, a river,, how could you compare Boise to Vegas?!
Boise isn't as hot as Vegas, the desert here is a higher elevation and receives more annual precipitation and Boise is bounded by evergreen forests to the north which Vegas lacks. There is also a huge water shed in the mountains above Boise (lots of snow in the winter) which in turns feeds the rivers and irrigates the lush-in-season agriculture valley we live in. Boise is a lot greener then Vegas and trees thrive in the city of Boise due to the high water table and irrigation. The Boise River also has an urban forest of cottonwood and aspen trees along its banks. The Treasure Valley, where Boise is located, is one of the most productive agricultural areas in the nation. We also have an ever growing wine region in the valley.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:27 AM

Here are a few aerial photos of Boise to give you an idea. The proper credit and link is given with each photo.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...ro/9192915.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...o/17273683.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...o/17273897.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...o/17273742.jpg

Old 03-20-2013, 10:05 AM

I never said it was Vegas. LOL
Boise is so much better then Vegas and most cities. It also has a better job market then CDA.

But those brown mountains do look like the mountians around Vegas.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvetSky View Post
I never said it was Vegas. LOL
Boise is so much better then Vegas and most cities. It also has a better job market then CDA.

But those brown mountains do look like the mountians around Vegas.
Have an open mind VelvetSky, mountains of all colors are beautiful, just like humans of all colors. The mountains are green in Spring and early Summer and the brown the rest of the year really isn't that bad, they are scenic no matter what time of the year. The backside of what you see is evergreens and the very top of the mountains above Boise have visible forests in sight from the city. The views I posted do not show the forests at the top because of the angle of the pics. So in a sense the mountains above Boise are very different from the mts by Vegas because of the forests in close proximity to the city. Besides the photos I found and posted seem to have a greenish tint to me.
Have you ever driven to the top up to Bogus Basin?

Old 03-20-2013, 11:27 AM

Bogus? Is that the real name?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho