Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 10:11 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,262,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILAK9BRUNO View Post
I am a Sgt in the Phila Police Dept K-9 Unit my wife is also a officer in the K-9 Unit. I am looking to retire in the near future and am sick and tired of Philadelphia. I wanted to move out west and was just surfing around on the net and I kept comming back to Idaho. Believe me I am looking at other states but keep comming back to Idaho. The crime is low the weather looks some what mild. Looking for a place to go where we can relax and have fun with our dogs. Not to mention that me and my wife loved the outdoors.
Jumping in here to say thank you to you, your wife and your partners. I'm fortunate enough to be able to "babysit" some of the K9 officers when their human partners go out of town. Also had the honor of knowing a K9 who did give his life in the line of duty and have never seen such an awesome memorial service!

Sorry for high jacking this thread, however must say thanks when needed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2007, 02:24 PM

26 posts, read 58,905 times
I didn't see anyone mention Middleton. It is rght outside of Boise. GREAT schools!! They are in need of substitute teachers too, so that would definatly get your foot in the door. Very mild weather, small town feeling, low crime. My kids love it here.

Old 11-09-2007, 01:30 PM

2 posts, read 4,689 times
These are all great questions for someone looking to move to this area! Very helpful for me as well. We are relocating from Arkansas to Idaho possible the Burley area. I don't find many houses for sale in this area. Is it better to buy property and build. Never been out of North West Arkansas. Building is the big thing around here.

Old 11-09-2007, 01:48 PM

364 posts, read 617,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage View Post
I work with social services and have law enforcement people who are near and dear to me. And the meth problem is out of control. The Criminal Justice Commission is attempting to come up with proactive solutions but it is nearly hopeless. It’s not just Idaho that has the problem. Did I say it is OUT OF CONTROL? Yes indeed.

How about the death penalty for anyone caught making or selling the stuff? It is tantamount to attempted murder imo. Something tells me the problem with go away almost overnight. /shrug

Old 11-13-2007, 06:29 PM

210 posts, read 946,700 times
If you want to avoid cold weather look at these two factors. Elevation first, and then latitude. Boise and Lewiston area are lower in elevation and milder than much of the state in the winter. Twin isn't bad either. Latitude and local weather patterns affect it too. I live the SE part of the state in Pocatello and weather here is typically about 5 degrees warmer than Idaho Falls even though we are only 50 miles apart. Doesn't seem like much? It can be in the winter when the highs sometime straddle the freezing mark and are 35 in Pocatello and 30 in I.F. Snow tends to melt off more quickly in Pocatello.

Old 11-17-2007, 08:25 PM

8 posts, read 23,143 times
Check out Blackfoot. 3 hours from anything you want! Not much snow, Temperatures rarely in the -, good schools, always need good teachers, affordable housing, close to Yellowstone, Grand Tetons. Why, we even have a Walmart - hah hah

Old 11-17-2007, 09:26 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,884,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katera View Post
How about the death penalty for anyone caught making or selling the stuff? It is tantamount to attempted murder imo. Something tells me the problem with go away almost overnight. /shrug
Are you serious?

Old 11-19-2007, 01:27 PM

210 posts, read 946,700 times
On the crime question, some new studies were in the Pocatello paper today.

In the paper edition of the paper the article had an inset showing how local cites fared on the list of safest metro areas.

Logan, Utah was ranked #1 safest Metro area.

Other Idaho metro areas were also found to be safe places to live. Lewiston ranked 13th safest in the nation, while Pocatello ranked 53rd. Boise/Nampa was #101, Idaho Falls ranked 103rd safest and Coeur d’Alene came in at 120th. Salt Lake City was #160-something.

<quote>
The 14th annual ''City Crime Rankings: Crime in Metropolitan America'' was put out by CQ Press, a unit of Congressional Quarterly Inc. It uses the FBI's Sept. 24 crime statistics report.

The report looked at 378 cities with at least 75,000 people based on per-capita rates for homicide, rape, robbery, aggravated assault, burglary and auto theft. Each crime category was considered separately and weighted based on its seriousness, CQ Press said.
</quote>

Read the full article here...
Pocatello Idaho State Journal (http://www.idahostatejournal.com/articles/2007/11/19/news/breaking/news01.txt - broken link)
or here..
Idaho Press-Tribune
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho