Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2012, 12:44 PM

19 posts, read 63,172 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at a few jobs in Moscow--with the university. Currently, we live in Logan, UT and we're looking forward to a milder winter than here in Cache Valley. We love the four seasons, just not 6-7 months of winter . After looking at the climate data for Lewiston, it sure seems like a good fit for us. Moscow seems a bit colder and, from what I've read, there's not much of a gardening season--which is really important to us. So here are my questions, if there are some repeats from previous posts, I apologize:

1. What is the drive like from Lewiston to Moscow? Is it impossible in the winter. From Mapquest, it says the drive is 30 mins. That would work for me.

2. How do the winters compare between Moscow and Lewiston? I can read statistics all I want, but I'm looking for personal experience--snow, cold, when does 'spring' begin?

3. Fall colors? It's my favorite time of year and I'd hate to live anywhere that didn't have the changing seasons.

4. Proximity to mountains? I know that Lewiston is somewhat in a pallouse prairie, but can I get into the mountains (trees, nature, etc.) with a 30 min to an hour drive?

Any comments would be welcome.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 02:16 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,874,467 times
I live in Moscow, and have worked in Lewiston. I prefer Moscow, incidentally. They are very different towns. Answers to your questions:
1. The drive takes about 35 minutes. It will ocassionally get slick in the winter, but I've never had it take me longer than 50 minutes. Usually a pretty easy drive. But, be sure to look up the term "Lewiston Grade." This is a steep area of the drive. Well maintained in the winter, but steep.

2. Moscow can be a bit dreary in the winter. Lots of rain. Lewiston is generally drier and about 5-10 degrees warmer. This is to Lew. advantage in the winter and disadvantage in the summer. Moscow has GREAT summers.

3. Moscow wins hands down here. Lewiston doesn't have nearly as many trees.

4. Both about the same for mountains. An easy 30 minute drive will get you into some nice areas. Neither are near really steep mountains, though. Think more hill country, and very nice back wood areas.

A search on the forum will get you several other threads describing both towns. I think you'll find people tend to prefer Moscow.

Old 08-22-2012, 05:13 PM

804 posts, read 2,891,485 times
I have never lived in either city but my opinion is I would not want to make that drive everyday. The only time we drive through is to go fishing or hunting down there. The Lewiston grade can be really bad in the winter and we have had some 'fun' times going up or down it in January.

Old 10-03-2012, 08:35 PM

15 posts, read 49,732 times
There is a Moscow city bus driver who lives in the Orchards in Lewiston and told us he HATES the commute; that it scares him and he is a professional driver.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:56 PM

291 posts, read 669,495 times
I can also see the Lewiston grade killing a vehicle in short order if you did it daily.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:12 AM

2,223 posts, read 3,874,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwprof65 View Post
There is a Moscow city bus driver who lives in the Orchards in Lewiston and told us he HATES the commute; that it scares him and he is a professional driver.
There can be a few times in the winter when it gets icy and a bit scary if you have to drive it early in the morning. I bet your friend had to do that. Yuck. Despite this, lots of people make the commute safely every day.

People think the Lewiston Grade will be the bad part in these conditions. Most accidents don't happen there. It is well maintained. Most occur on a mild but poorly sloped hill about halfway between Moscow and Genesee.

Old 10-07-2012, 06:33 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,660,903 times
As others have mentioned, Lewiston is warmer in both summer and winter. However, the freeway up the Lewiston grade is exposed to winter storms, as in, snow, freezing rain, or sleet. I am no expert, but from my experience, the road is OK about 80% of the winter, with the occasional storm that makes it difficult. Not impossible, but difficult. This route is considered a high priority corridor when winter weather hits, so good efforts are made to clear it. Sometimes, though, (as Keim mentioned) the areas up on top of the grade are lower priority and this where it can get dicey.

Old 11-02-2012, 06:15 PM

3 posts, read 8,726 times
1. What is the drive like from Lewiston to Moscow? Is it impossible in the winter. From Mapquest, it says the drive is 30 mins. That would work for me.

I commuted going the other way (Moscow to Lewiston) for about eight months a while back. I'll say this: Nez Perce County (Lewiston) is better about clearing their roads in the winter than Latah county (Moscow). Right around a town called Grangeville as you're traveling from Lewiston to Moscow you'll notice that the road clearing job isn't as nicely done in the winter. The drive, overall, isn't that bad though. I did it in a rear wheel drive van with only a few bad days. The Lewiston Hill isn't bad as they keep that really well cleared. The rough part can be on the Palouse (top of the Lewiston Hill all the way to Moscow) when the wind can create blowing snow and decrease visibility. They upgraded the highway from Lewiston to Moscow and now it's a two lane highway all the way to about two miles out of Moscow. Never any traffic. Get books on CD and you'll be all good .

2. How do the winters compare between Moscow and Lewiston? I can read statistics all I want, but I'm looking for personal experience--snow, cold, when does 'spring' begin?

Moscow = snow, snow, and more snow. Lots of sun in the winter though. I've seen others say it gets dark in the winter. Maybe? But it's also incredbly clear (no clouds). Makes for some really beautiful stary nights.
Lewiston = when it snows you better get the sleds out cause' this is your one shot. I grew up here, and I prefer the Moscow winter weather due to more sunshine.

3. Fall colors? It's my favorite time of year and I'd hate to live anywhere that didn't have the changing seasons.

Can't be beat. Check out the arboretum in the Fall (or really anywhere on campus).

4. Proximity to mountains? I know that Lewiston is somewhat in a pallouse prairie, but can I get into the mountains (trees, nature, etc.) with a 30 min to an hour drive?

Moscow Mountain is 15 minutes away, and you're about a 60 minute drive northeast or east to some great camping spots.

I don't know if you've made your decision yet, but you won't regret moving to Moscow. Clean air, clean water (a little minerally from the deep underground aquifer), and just a overall happy place to be.

Old 02-20-2013, 06:29 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,218,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspittman View Post

I commuted going the other way (Moscow to Lewiston) for about eight months a while back. I'll say this: Nez Perce County (Lewiston) is better about clearing their roads in the winter than Latah county (Moscow). Right around a town called Grangeville as you're traveling from Lewiston to Moscow you'll notice that the road clearing job isn't as nicely done in the winter. The drive, overall, isn't that bad though. I did it in a rear wheel drive van with only a few bad days. The Lewiston Hill isn't bad as they keep that really well cleared. The rough part can be on the Palouse (top of the Lewiston Hill all the way to Moscow) when the wind can create blowing snow and decrease visibility. They upgraded the highway from Lewiston to Moscow and now it's a two lane highway all the way to about two miles out of Moscow. Never any traffic. Get books on CD and you'll be all good .

Moscow = snow, snow, and more snow. Lots of sun in the winter though. I've seen others say it gets dark in the winter. Maybe? But it's also incredbly clear (no clouds). Makes for some really beautiful stary nights.
Lewiston = when it snows you better get the sleds out cause' this is your one shot. I grew up here, and I prefer the Moscow winter weather due to more sunshine.

Can't be beat. Check out the arboretum in the Fall (or really anywhere on campus).

Moscow Mountain is 15 minutes away, and you're about a 60 minute drive northeast or east to some great camping spots.

I don't know if you've made your decision yet, but you won't regret moving to Moscow. Clean air, clean water (a little minerally from the deep underground aquifer), and just a overall happy place to be.
Grangeville isn't between Lewiston and Moscow and is located southeast of Lewiston, Moscow is to the north. Perhaps you're thinking of Genesee Id?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho