Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 06:27 PM

39 posts, read 106,959 times

Advertisements

My husband was reading some books and was intrigued by this city and we were wondering if anyone has any personal experiences they'd like to share.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 07:20 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,064,665 times
They must have a very low crime rate, every time we have been there we noticed more police cars patrolling the streets than any other town we have ever been to. I like the town and the area but that's about all I have to share on the place. We never stayed there, just stopped for food and went on our way.

Old 10-29-2009, 09:24 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,363,323 times
McCall is a growing resort town once lumber town. If you are interested I have some pictures of the town and surrounding area and I can supply you with a link to some photos I have taken and have on a photography website.

Old 10-29-2009, 11:01 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,682,049 times
Beautiful town, sort of a new less ritzy Sun Valley. Two decent ski hills (one is in limbo currently). A great lake there. Weather is pretty crummy (gets a lot of clouds and snow, and is much colder than SV). Amazing access to outdoors stuff.

However...

The job market is impossible. Valley County is above 25% unemployment. Donnelly is absolutely dead.

Bottom line: vacation there all you want. In fact, you could probably find great deals in Donnelly. But to move there? Better be rich and not needing a job.

Old 10-29-2009, 11:17 PM

11,247 posts, read 11,020,697 times
Payette Lake is beautiful. I've heard Harrison Ford has property in McCall and flies in on his plane fairly regularly.

Old 10-31-2009, 08:44 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,934,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
Payette Lake is beautiful. I've heard Harrison Ford has property in McCall and flies in on his plane fairly regularly.
This is what the real estate people, tell people when they come here. The Realtors gave us a list of celebrities and I have lived in the area 17 years and yet to see a celebrity. They do come but it's just a fly threw.

They do have a picture of Harrison Ford at Si Bueno's with the staff, but the celebrity thing is way over blown.

If you don't have to work this is a beautiful place that offers a lot of outdoor activity. With Tamarack no longer open, we are a struggling city trying to survive.

Old 11-01-2009, 08:56 AM

1,056 posts, read 2,682,049 times
Tamarack was the absolute worst thing to happen to Valley County.

In a matter of years property values were inflated, jobs were reduced to ski bum type service jobs, and long time residents were displaced overnight.

Now those that stuck around have to pick up the pieces. These are the real effects migration and speculation that we have to deal with that no one ever thinks about. I can't think of anything that makes me angrier.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:53 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,934,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boisefan88 View Post
Tamarack was the absolute worst thing to happen to Valley County.

In a matter of years property values were inflated, jobs were reduced to ski bum type service jobs, and long time residents were displaced overnight.

Now those that stuck around have to pick up the pieces. These are the real effects migration and speculation that we have to deal with that no one ever thinks about. I can't think of anything that makes me angrier.
Actually, if it hadn't been for all the greed in the construction and the higher ups in charge at Tamarack, it would have made it. There were accounts, bookkeepers etc. on the inside pocketing money and bankrupting Tamarack.

Then there were those General Contractors and equipment owners that were gouging the owners for all they could. The owners had a dream and the workers that they trusted brought it to a crash.

This area needs Tamarack to come back, but not sure the ecomony will ever allow it to go forward.

Old 11-06-2009, 04:55 PM

804 posts, read 2,892,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coriwithaK View Post
My husband was reading some books and was intrigued by this city and we were wondering if anyone has any personal experiences they'd like to share.

Thanks.
I wish I knew more about the city it self but I can tell you there is some good hunting around there.

Old 11-13-2009, 08:31 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,444,022 times
McCall is extremely laid back. It has activities for all 4 seasons too. Yes it can snow on the the 4th but have never seen it. It is cooler up there but it also can be in the 90's on those summer days! It is has good camping, fishing, hunting, hiking, boating, riding, if you are looking for the activities of night life in SV than go to SV if you just want to relax and enjoy the area go to McCall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho