Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 02:58 PM

1,102 posts, read 1,155,303 times

Advertisements

Hi.....we are heading out on a relocating scouting road trip to the panhandle of Idaho and Northern Wyoming. Any ideas on places to check out....(we are retired, love the outdoors, hunters and love fishing, looking for atleast 5 acres to build on or with a house)....also places to see....places to eat...places to stay. Our schedule is pretty open..(a wonderful benefir of being retired).

Thanks for your advise...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 04:38 PM

39,865 posts, read 26,492,827 times
Can you narrow down what you're looking for a little more? Size/distance of closest town? Distance to "major" town with shopping/hospital/entertainment? Those kinds of things. What works for one doesn't work for all. You mention that you love fishing-lakes (boat) fishing or streams/rivers? It's all here.

Oh, where are you escaping from?

Old 09-18-2012, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Can you narrow down what you're looking for a little more? Size/distance of closest town? Distance to "major" town with shopping/hospital/entertainment? Those kinds of things. What works for one doesn't work for all. You mention that you love fishing-lakes (boat) fishing or streams/rivers? It's all here.

Oh, where are you escaping from?
Thanks for your input....we are ruralites and would like to continue more of the same. We do not need to live by a major city. Within in an hour from town....but not off the grid and not where we can not get out in winter = year round access.

We enjoy all kinds of fishing.....actually we would not mind finding a place with old growth and fruit trees.....water and or a view is always a plus. We love small town hopitality. My husband is from the sticks in OR and I am from rural VA. I have lived in the south eastern part of WY in the past.....so....I am not unaccustom to snow and cold.

Currently we have a farm in the Sierras.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:54 PM

42 posts, read 97,120 times
Noihoforus - We are here right now doing the same thing you want to do. We are focusing on a radius around Sandpoint (don't want to be in city limits - need some acreage). We have fallen in love with Lake Pend O'reille....first purchase after moving to this area will have to be a boat! We are staying in the Hope/Clark Fork area while on our vacation....had a great pizza at Ice House Pizzaria last night. Spent today checking out areas north to Bonners Ferry and Moyie Springs. Had that fantastic burger at the cafe in Elmira - what friendly folks we talked to there! Hit the Chamber of Commerce in Sandpoint and picked up their relocation packet, then headed toward Sagle and drove around the roads on the east side of the highway. Tomorrow wil hit Sagle on the west side and check out everything we can between there and Bayview. Our black lab swam to her hearts content at the Trestle Creek Recreation area - so all is good so far.....love this area - now have to focus on getting our place in Montana sold so we can make the change over to northern Idaho.
What area of the Sierra's are you from? Lake Tahoe was our home for years. Have fun exploring Northern Idaho...we sure are!

Old 09-19-2012, 10:46 AM

Snowsand....I am so glad you are enjoying your trip. We to have a lab....all though she is a yellow old girl. We are going to be checking out the areas you are mentioning. We leave in 10 days and we can hardly wait. Inquiry minds want to know why you are thinking of leaving Montana for Northern Idaho. We are going to investigate Montana too. But I am already partial to Northern Idaho or Northern Wyoming. We are about 40 minutes from Lake Tahoe. Hope you have a fantastic vacation. It would be great to continue to hear about your adventure...

Old 09-19-2012, 11:45 AM

820 posts, read 1,739,149 times
There is alot of nice areas surrounding CDA and Sandpoint that would fit your needs. Priest River may be a great place for you, fishing is good there. I you come through CDA, you can pm me and I will give you my cell to call me on. I can give you some stuff to look at and some recommendations. As far as farther north, don't venture that way enough to give you opinions about Bonner area, I stay in Kootenai County. GL!

Old 09-19-2012, 11:51 AM

Thanks Shaner....I see you are a RE agent....can you PM me with your web site for you listings?

Old 09-19-2012, 12:33 PM

Thanks Shaner!

Old 09-19-2012, 10:14 PM

39,865 posts, read 26,492,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noihoforus View Post
Thanks for your input....we are ruralites and would like to continue more of the same. We do not need to live by a major city. Within in an hour from town....but not off the grid and not where we can not get out in winter = year round access.

We enjoy all kinds of fishing.....actually we would not mind finding a place with old growth and fruit trees.....water and or a view is always a plus. We love small town hopitality. My husband is from the sticks in OR and I am from rural VA. I have lived in the south eastern part of WY in the past.....so....I am not unaccustom to snow and cold.

Currently we have a farm in the Sierras.
Honestly, you can't go wrong with any of the small towns in Idaho. Priest River/Priest Lake are nice, as is Bonners, Clark Fork, Wallace, Sagle (more a rural community than a town), St Maries or even Calder/Avery if you don't mind a bit more remote. I think you need to take a vacation out this way!

Old 09-20-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Honestly, you can't go wrong with any of the small towns in Idaho. Priest River/Priest Lake are nice, as is Bonners, Clark Fork, Wallace, Sagle (more a rural community than a town), St Maries or even Calder/Avery if you don't mind a bit more remote. I think you need to take a vacation out this way!
We are heading that way in 10 days. We can hardly wait! Thank you for the suggestions. We spent a couple of weeks up around Swan Valley and Teton Valley in early March...but this will be our first physical trip to the panhandle. Although I must say I have been there many times on the internet..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho