Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 12:27 AM

1 posts, read 1,730 times

Advertisements

The trees and mountains you expected to find in Idaho are up in the Panhandle! Look at Coeur d'Alene, Priest River, and Sandpoint. Also some smaller towns in between, like Blanchard, Spirit Lake, and Laclede.

We've got lots of mountains and water, and still some trees that haven't been cut!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2006, 12:44 AM

63 posts, read 362,367 times
Boise is in a river valley (which is flat) with mountain ranges that surround the valley. Boise does have a lot of trees in the city and along the river. It is also right at the edge of forests which extend north all of the way to Canada. You can see the forests at the top of the mountains over the city and the whole backside of the mountains are full of forests and even taller mountains. I can think of many places I can be deep in the woods less than 30 minutes drive from downtown Boise. The mountains and rivers and canyons are pretty impressive--that is part of what makes Boise such a great outdoor city to live in.
These are pretty lush forests too with many streams and lakes. The forests get more lush as you continue north especially around McCall. Of course North Idaho is very lush and the forests are wetter than Southern Idaho.
There are many Idaho towns in green forested areas. Boise just happens to have the best of both worlds with the desert areas south and the mountains and forests north east and west.
Also Idaho is a pretty large and diverse state land wise so you can't judge the whole state by just visiting one area.

Old 10-07-2006, 07:58 AM

434 posts, read 3,174,799 times
I looked at houses in Boise four weeks ago and then went back last week to look again. Just in three weeks there were some substantial drops in price on some of the houses I was looking at. I wasn't looking at new houses so I can't comment on that part of the housing market, but I think that there will be some good deals on resale houses pretty soon.

Old 10-09-2006, 01:49 AM

19 posts, read 59,191 times
Boise means forested in French, but the pronunciation is not quite the same.

I am not sure Colorado is anymore boise than Idaho. There you will also find high deserts, and spartan forests in the mountains. including the aspen groves, especially those of Kebler Pass. ...And as far as prices are concerned, I think that in Colorado they are even a lot higher than in Idaho...

Old 10-09-2006, 01:51 PM

149 posts, read 1,096,421 times
Idaho is a great place to live, and Boise is no exception.

BUT... if you want lush green trees -- why did you leave Washinton? I was just in Vancouver, WA a few weeks ago. It was really nice and green. Rainy, yes -- but green. (Can't have no rain and lots of green at the same time, right?)

There are lots of trees in Idaho, but you usually have to go out of your way to see them (excluding northern Idaho).

Old 10-10-2006, 07:38 PM

17 posts, read 104,142 times
Well I'm here in Coeur d'Alene, after viewing and giving the thumbs down to Colorado, foothills around Denver are all rocky and scrub vegetation. Nicer areas of Denver expensive.

I'm finding I really need trees, but not as much rain as Western Washington, and here seems to fit the bill. I think I could settle down here! House prices a little higher than Boise area, but I should be able to find something in my price range.

Thanks again to everyone on this board, has been helpful. Although nothing replaces actually checking out an area!

Old 10-10-2006, 09:01 PM

5,323 posts, read 18,236,538 times
Glad you like it up there, I'm surprised that you didn't check out eastern Idaho. Or did you? Considering it borders Yellowstone and Grand Teton Nat'l parks, there are trees.

Old 10-11-2006, 01:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,726 times
Default Boise House

Here is a nice place in Boise for $229,900
removed

Last edited by Marka; 10-12-2006 at 12:11 AM..

Old 10-11-2006, 03:16 PM

318 posts, read 1,315,412 times
The house you posted says Bosie/ Garden city...I've read here on this forum that it is an area you have to be careful in. It is a nice looking house. But is the area safe to raise a family in? Price seems high for Garden City.

Izzy

Old 02-16-2007, 11:17 PM

777 posts, read 3,193,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage View Post
may want to rent for one or two years as the housing markets adjust to more realistic prices. There will be many a good deal in housing in two years as the market adjusts. Or you can buy at today's high prices and end up top heavy on a mortgage.
I agree, and it is still adjusting here, which I'm sure will affect prices there!! Are prices still dropping there? I know they are here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho