Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 10:03 AM

82 posts, read 238,767 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if Idaho is considered "laid back" like the south is...or if its fast paced?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 10:14 AM

285 posts, read 850,282 times
The larger cities in the state are much more laid back than larger coastal cities, but not quite as much as some. It's probably right in the middle, maybe slightly skewed to the slower-paced side of the spectrum. Some smaller towns are very laid back. It really depends on which part of the state you end up in.

Old 12-19-2012, 01:15 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,743,697 times
I'm from back east and have lived all over it, including Georgia and my family is in Ohio. I find most of the west to be far more laid back and the people are nicer. Maybe not in the huge cities like LA and SF, but compared to Boston, NY and Atlanta, I would even say LA and SF are more laid back.
Absolutely for sure, Idaho is far more laid back than any place I lived back east. All of it.

Old 12-19-2012, 02:32 PM

285 posts, read 850,282 times
San Francisco has a "laid back" attitude, but the pace of city is by no means laid back and rivals some east coast cities.

Much of Idaho for the most part seems to be a good middle ground. Coming from a faster paced city does take an adjustment period, though.

Old 12-19-2012, 04:03 PM

82 posts, read 238,767 times
Question How does it compare to south "laid back"

We have lived in the south....and people are "laid back".....it seemed hard for us to adjust to people saying they will be over first thing to do a job....and its noon and no one has showed up yet......first thing to us is more like 7-8 a.m......

*What is first thing considered there by most people?

*Do you have a problem with people doing what they say they are going to do?

*Do you feel like you have to pull teeth to get a job done by someone?

*Do you feel like your running and people are staring at you when you go to the store?....I felt like as soon as I walked in a store in the south..people knew "ye aren't from around here, are ye"...?

Don't mind it being slower paced ...but are people motivated to get a job done.....? or are things drawn out?

Old 12-19-2012, 08:40 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,665,161 times
"In-between" is a good answer here. Not slow-paced, but it depends on where you are. Boise can be hip and fast moving at times, and people do move at a good clip along the freeways throughout the state. However, and this is a big however, there are many towns that move at a snails pace. I won't mention any specific towns, but Blackfoot and Burley come to mind.

Old 12-20-2012, 02:40 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,495,584 times
Not Pocatello, though, pw72.

Old 12-20-2012, 04:44 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiosgreat View Post
We have lived in the south....and people are "laid back".....it seemed hard for us to adjust to people saying they will be over first thing to do a job....and its noon and no one has showed up yet......first thing to us is more like 7-8 a.m......

*What is first thing considered there by most people?

*Do you have a problem with people doing what they say they are going to do?

*Do you feel like you have to pull teeth to get a job done by someone?

*Do you feel like your running and people are staring at you when you go to the store?....I felt like as soon as I walked in a store in the south..people knew "ye aren't from around here, are ye"...?

Don't mind it being slower paced ...but are people motivated to get a job done.....? or are things drawn out?
You ask questions that are impossible to answer objectively. The only answer I can answer honestly is Idaho is not the south. Secondly, people are people. Some are more motivated than others.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:50 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,665,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
Not Pocatello, though, pw72.
I lived in Poky 'till '09, am now in IF. Both cities have their share of a slow-paced vibe, Pocatello probably moreso due to the "mellow" college atmosphere. I have seen some crazy drivers in IF, usually late for some event with their kids in the back. Also, IF's family atmosphere can bring on its own pace, with too many kid events packed into the day. Not sure that fits the definition of fast-paced, but I see it all the time here.

Blackfoot is the worst. A nice, friendly small town, but I've never seen more '85 Buicks going 15 miles under the speed limit than any other Idaho town.

Old 12-22-2012, 12:46 AM

181 posts, read 435,666 times
Coeur D Alene is at idle speed most of the time, I think in the summer we hit 2nd gear....meh or max out first. I came from fron North Mexico (Los Angeles) and that would be maximum overdrive, foot to the floor life. Nothing was done in a laid back way, even surfers would beat up other surfers for not being locals....

Since I've arrived here my blood pressure had dropped 20 points and I no longer feel like everyone around me is insane, so yeah I think it's laid back here....or it might just be the meds I'm on...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho